Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pronunciation: "Ae" as in Ae forest?
  • poly
    Free Member

I’m going to be spending a few days quite close to the trails at Ae next week. In the event that I meet any locals I don’t want to seem like an idiot by completely mispronouncing it. I had assumed it was pronounced as in “Ae fond kiss”, i.e. as in ‘eye’. But someone else has suggested it is more like “go tae the pub” i.e. as in ‘s-ay’.

Is there an accepted right answer?

I can find plenty of feedback on the red trails (which whilst not necessarily raving about it suggest it should entertain me enough since it will be riding distance from our “base”) – anyone got any views on the family friendliness of the blue/green etc – for a wobbly 8 yr old and an overly confident 3 yr old? Past experience suggests that the FC gradings only really take into account the technicality of the riding and not the steepness etc – which is actually what makes or breaks a ride with our family.

clubber
    Free Member

I like to imagine it as an Ali G style Aiiiiiii!

druidh
    Free Member

It’s pronounced as in “Ae fond kiss”.

But that’s also pronounced as in “go tae the pub”.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQEHuQZB7wY[/video]

Hence the joke…..

“I’m going to Ae Forest tomorrow”

“Yes – but which one?”

flatfish
    Free Member

“A”

coogan
    Free Member

I pronounce it ‘Rubbish’.

legend
    Free Member

I pronounce it ‘Rubbish’.

When thinking of going riding I prefer to replace any thoughts of ‘Ae’ with ‘Mabie’, ‘Dalbeattie’ or ‘Drumlanrig’

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I AM OFF TO AE FOREST MABIE TOMMORROW

_tom_
    Free Member

Scottish guy I spoke to in Whistler pronounced it “E”

Northwind

I pronounce it like the Fonz says “Heeeey”, but without the H. “Ey”

chakaping
    Free Member

I AM OFF TO AE FOREST MABIE TOMMORROW

😆

druidh
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

Sorry, but I’m still laughing at polys mispronunciation of “Ae fond kiss”
    🙂

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I rather like Ae actually, nice and rough and ready in places

Northwind

I need to get back there. Didn’t like it much last time but places deserve a second go and I gather there’s been some improvements.

sambob
    Free Member

I thought it was “ay” as in “hay”.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

yeah it’s definately been improved in places, actually I might try and pop down over the holidays

Northwind

Just thinking that too. I don’t think any of my mates will ever ride there again so might be a good time to nip down while everyone’s away :mrgreen:

poly
    Free Member

Druidh, Aye it seems I’ve got my Burns wrong! I’d swear it was pronounced “Aye fond kiss”… …but google has confirmed the Christmas booze has apparently already started to work.

OK – I know that the riding on the red is not to everyone’s taste, but it will be on the doorstep so rude not to see for myself. Anyone any views on the family riding at Ae or Mabie? I’m not looking for gnar-to-the-max for that; gentle slopes, swoopy curves and a view/variation in scenery are much more important than rock gardens, big drops etc.

craig1975
    Free Member

Being a doonhamer, i can tell ye its pronounced “hay” without the the H 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Being a doonhamer, i can tell ye its pronounced “hay” without the the H

+1

ivnickkate
    Free Member

my 6 year old is also a bit wobbly, the green route up and down the riverside was great for her confidence. It uses fireroads and some singletrack. Our 3 year was on the tagalong.

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Ae/Ae-Valley-Route

cakefacesmallblock

“A”

Trekster

Ae next week. In the event that I meet any locals I don’t want to seem like an idiot

Don`t worry the locals are pretty used to it and you would be surprised at how many “non locals” there are ❗

Anyone any views on the family riding at Ae or Mabie?

What age and experience?
    The green @ A is mainly flat along the river bank. The blue has a bit of a forest road climb with a longish steep descent back down to Craigshields and then flat, smooth singletrack again along the green river bank section.

Mabie blue is mostly forest road with 2 singletrack sections. There is a fair climb at the start depending on age/fitness of kids.

Having said that we take our club juniors out(some as young as 7-8) on these trails often helping the stragglers along when needed.

There is another small forest with some good riding for kids in it at Heathhall on the outskirts of Dumfries. There is a proper made up circular track. You can also make up your own trail by following all the other paths in the area. Not a hill in sight 😆
    To get there; on the way into town from Ae follow the signs for the aviation museum(Tesco/Esso garage roundabout=go left) and the trail starts just after the cycle path traffic lights to your right.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pronunciation: "Ae" as in Ae forest?’ is closed to new replies.