Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 384 total)
  • Prometheus
  • Cougar

it’s the 3rd best ‘Alien’ film,

That was my preconception going into the movie, to be honest.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i have just been to see it and as the credits rolled, the girl sat next to my mate turn to him and said- ” so was that the predator then? ”

a laughed for about an hour 😀

Cougar

Fabulous.

Cougar

Fabulous.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Saw it last night, still not quite sure what I made of it. Some bits I like better having thought about them a bit more, some I like a lot less.
    A couple of things I really didn’t like/don’t make much sense to me:

-The behaviour of the people on the expedition- no quarantine, helmets off after 5 mins, no real awe at first alien contact, no fear of the cobra/worm things.
    -Why keep Weyland’s presence on the ship a secret?
    -The murals showing the (original) Giger Aliens- at the end they suggest the form of the creature is the result of a specific chain of mutations, so how/why has it been on the wall for thousands of years?
    -The behaviour of the last space jockey when they wake him. I buy he’d hold them in contempt but he’s pretty actively trying to finish them all off. Also the behaviour of the zombie guy when he comes back to the ship- he only seems to be there to thin out the crew.
    – When Shaw and some of the others are caught out in the storm their suits/helmets aren’t even scratched up, despite the Captain telling them it’d shred them (or something).

Also don’t really see how it fits in with Holloway pointing out that the place is “just another tomb”.

Seemed to just settle into an escape-the-bogeyman flick in the last 3rd. There were a few sniggers in the cinema when Shaw was winching David’s headless body down.

Missed a few opportunities to be genuinely creepy too. They could really have done something with the scene where the dead guy’s helmet cam comes back on line and it’s right outside the ship… Instead they just go “Oh, really? Huh…” and go and open the door.

Oh, and I felt a bit cheated by the way the original space jockey just turns out to be a suit with a less interesting/mysterious human in.

kimbers

Oh, and I felt a bit cheated by the way the original space jockey just turns out to be a suit with a less interesting/mysterious human in.

+1

overall i liked it, Its just nice to see a good scifi horror, the sets,props and spaceships etc were all impressive and it nicely reminded me of the the tension and fear from watching Alien when i was younger

my gripe is why did the spacejockeys have a planet full of ships each filled with 1000s of pods of bioweapons all built with the task of wiping out earth (im assuming this as all the ship they found were headed for earth) about 50 of those urns wouldve been enough to do for the entire plant, talk about
    redundancy!

also the ship on Aliens was found on LV426 and the moon they went to on this was called LV223
    im guessing that the Aliens ship must have also had a bioweapons outbreak and crashe don the way to earth or whatever their target planet was?

kimbers

kimbers

oh and im sure it was the biologist who was the the zombie

despite what wikipedia says

(also what biologist wouldnt be interested in an alien and decide to head back to the ship!)

kimbers

another thing that really pissed me off was

“The human and engineer DNA matches”

but what does that mean? its pseudo scientific bollox!
    is it a 100% match?
    match to what- the consensus from the human genome project,?
    if so is it the same genes under different epigenetic control, HDAC, methylation etc, which would be amazing,but maybe possible
    or is it just similar like human to chimp, which no biologist would ever call a match
    i cant believe these scientists dedicated enough to go that far would fail to ask these basic questions

ultimately its just very very poor writing, exactly the kind of lazy wishy washy mess that we saw in Lost………….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I found it very entertaining, but Isn’t that the whole point?
    I’m sure some experts on here could do better though.

kimbers

I’m sure some experts on here could do better though.

i could ! 😉

i enjoyed the film, ill be getting it on blu ray, im just frustrated its not the perfect film it couldve been, – at least get a real biologist to consult on some of the science

also david learning the engineer language by regressing all human languages,i dont buy that either

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

i could !

Crack on then, or you could always try out as a ‘film critic’.

monkeyboyjc

-The behaviour of the people on the expedition- no quarantine, helmets off after 5 mins, no real awe at first alien contact, no fear of the cobra/worm things.

no quarantine – same could be said for the space jockeys? although Scott’s vision is that the vases of bio weapon’s get infected by the impurity of human thought?
    no fear of the cobra/worm things – one is scared (the geologist) the other is at awe/ doing his job as a biologist.

-The murals showing the (original) Giger Aliens- at the end they suggest the form of the creature is the result of a specific chain of mutations, so how/why has it been on the wall for thousands of years?

Thanks to one of the complications of space flight, you can only travel (acording to einstein) no faster than the speed of light. Space is very, very big – so it takes a long time to get any where (a fact ignored in this film, and its major flaw in my eyes) – say the moon is approx 50 lights years away from earth, that would mean that it would take 50 years traveling at the speed of light to get there and another 50 years back – thats 100 years gone in just one trip (not taking in to acount being instanly squashed as you acelerate from 0 to 670 616 629 mph instantly). Add to this the fact that the space jockeys sleep pods could withstain life for 1000’s of years (like the SJ at the end wakeing up after a 2k year slumber and being right as rain in a few seconds – compare that to how the humans coped with a 2.5year slumber earlier in the film). Also the SJ’s may have a much greater life span than ours (imortal?)…

-The behaviour of the last space jockey when they wake him. I buy he’d hold them in contempt but he’s pretty actively trying to finish them all off.

Well acording to the few interviews that Ridley Scott has given, he suggestes that 2k years ago was the last visit to earth by a SJ emissary – make the conection? so humanity basically crucified a SJ emissary on earth, and somehow also caused a catastrophe on the moon (also 2k years ago) – The SJ at the end of the film has been asleep for 2k years and wakes to find the cause (humans) of all his mates deaths waking him up and again initiating a new biohazard leak, i think he has a right to be pissed off.

Missed a few opportunities to be genuinely creepy too.

agree – but i’m thinking that this has more to do with the studio that Scott – He wanted it to be an 18 but the studio said it had to be a 15 to get more bums on seats.

also agree.

my gripe is why did the spacejockeys have a planet full of ships each filled with 1000s of pods of bioweapons all built with the task of wiping out earth

there was only one SJ ship (That they found).

im guessing that the Aliens ship must have also had a bioweapons outbreak

The SJ on that ship has a burst chest (although alot smaller than the SJ at the end of Prometheus).

legend
    Free Member

there was only one SJ ship (That they found).

We see two in the movie, and David states that there are many more remember

monkeyboyjc

wheres the second? i only remember the underground one which takes off…
    there may be more – as stated – but only one going to earth (i cant remeber David stateing that they were all going to earth, just that one?)

Anyway I posted a link a couple pages back which gives a good explanation of the film (far better than i could do), the why’s specifically. However it is only one explanation, its prob the closest to Scotts that i’ve read though (baised on his interviews)- much like the crew of the Prometheus we are left with questions. Personaly its the questions that have made this film for me (and ruined it for others).

CountZero

wheres the second? i only remember the underground one which takes off…

Wake up at the back, there!
    You saw two, the first one that took off, and Prometheus rammed, and the second one that took off that was going to the Engineer’s home planet, with David and Elizabeth on board.

monkeyboyjc

duh oh yeah….

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hmm…Ridley Scott is ace, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron are all really, really good actors but they all seem to play cliche riddled characters with accents all over the place.

What killed it for me was the script. The writing was sloppy and all over the place, there’s no suspense and the body shock scene is just laughable.

I give it five years before a director’s cut appears.

kimbers

scotts already said the dvd will have an extra 2013 + mins

questions unanswered or just a plot full on holes ?

bonzodog
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent, very thought provoking. I wanted to watch it in 2D but was only showing in 3D and I’m glad that was the case as the 3D visual effects were spectacular IMO.

My sentiments entirely.

Great film.

monkeyboyjc

I give it five years before a director’s cut appears

Scott orginaly stated that there was no directors cut (in interviews before and after the films release) – he’s 100% happy with the final film. There are however deleted scenes….
    After the general release of the film, and the general confusion around it, Scott has stated that there will be an extended version on the DVD (an option to run in it the menu), which will include the deleted scenes – although Scott has categorically stated that this is not a directors cut, more an extended version (with the scenes he felt were unneeded choped back in).
    I think Scott has been pressured into this a little by the studio – He had acknowledged that there were deleted scenes just before the films release, and said that they would inevitably get put on the DVD. But, he did not think these were warrented in the original release, thats why they were deleted.
    The questions the film has left unanswered have forced this issue, and its true it could have been better scripted, but this is however a large budget investment for the studio who wanted it aimed at 15yr olds and above – hense the lack of script and additions like the hanger scene.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Thanks to one of the complications of space flight, you can only travel (acording to einstein) no faster than the speed of light. Space is very, very big – so it takes a long time to get any where (a fact ignored in this film, and its major flaw in my eyes) – say the moon is approx 50 lights years away from earth, that would mean that it would take 50 years traveling at the speed of light to get there and another 50 years back – thats 100 years gone in just one trip (not taking in to acount being instanly squashed as you acelerate from 0 to 670 616 629 mph instantly). Add to this the fact that the space jockeys sleep pods could withstain life for 1000’s of years (like the SJ at the end wakeing up after a 2k year slumber and being right as rain in a few seconds – compare that to how the humans coped with a 2.5year slumber earlier in the film). Also the SJ’s may have a much greater life span than ours (imortal?)…

OK, but how have they apparently predicted the appearance of a species that only comes into existence right at the end of the film, after a particular sequence of events, thousands of years after the murals were done? And why would it be so prominent, instead of one of the other many mutations that could be up there?

monkeyboyjc

ok – rather than me explain it (badly), read this.

dazzlingboy

Went for the 2nd time last night – I think it’s great.

+1 for Monkeyboyjc’s link – don’t believe half of it but great reading.

kimbers

good link monkeyboy

but a lot of it is bollox!

roady_tony
    Free Member

so anyone seen those pics of the production yet that show (yet) another figure dressed in cloth that the SJ’s worship just before he drinks the black juice and disintegrates into our water?

i’m amazed at the sheer amount of explanation the Director & writer are having to give at every opportunity now with this film – its shows that
    a) they didnt write it well
    b) people didnt expect what they were going to see
    c) the director didnt get it across well
    and/or the more likely option for me
    d) the studio realized everyone was hyper about the film as it was being made and pushed Scott and Lindhoff to leave it open for either sequels and more prequels and also wanted someone for the geekboys to lust over similar to 7of9 from star trek to ensure some teen fantasy’s – and that led to (a) (b) and (c) !

monkeyboyjc

so anyone seen those pics of the production yet that show (yet) another figure dressed in cloth that the SJ’s worship just before he drinks the black juice and disintegrates into our water?

This one?

its was an alternative opening scene – and didnt go into production.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I managed to avoid all trailers and internet speculation about this film, knowing little more than it was Ridley Scott paying a big tax bill writing a sort of prequel. I think that was my mistake, since – although I was thoroughly entertained – my head was swimming with unanswered questions at the end. I didn’t even know the opening scene was meant to be Earth*

Too ambiguous. 7.5/10

*cue someone telling me it wasn’t

PJM1974
    Free Member

The opening scene was one of the more successful elements I thought, the whole panspermia theory has been done before – in 2001 for example, but it was rather sucessful in getting the idea across.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I didn’t even know the opening scene was meant to be Earth*

I’ve now read that Ridley Scott said it wasn’t necessarily Earth

willard

After reading this, I really should go and see it.

alex222
    Free Member

This would have been a better film in my humble opinion

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noe95IxpsiQ[/video]

peterfile
    Free Member

Finally went to see it last night.

Thought it was alright.

Mrs Peterfile “was expecting better”

ha ha, she’s quite the film critic these days 🙂

was good in 3D

(i didn’t get the whole “thought provoking” thing though, it was pretty thin on that front IMO)

roady_tony
    Free Member

here is what David said to the SJ when he woke up :
    ‘This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life’.

personally if i’d just woke up from a 2000 year old sleep i’d want ‘i’ll go an get the kettle on oh great Engineer, and theres also a few choccie biccies for you too, oh master”

philbert31
    Free Member

Jesus H this thread grows faster than Jimmy Carrs tax dodging bank balance! 😯

Ps the Predator musical is so much better than the Alien one!!! 😛

Pook

That predator thing is brilliant

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I saw it yesterday- how hasn’t this been done – What the hell we’re those bikes all about?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

saw it the other week, its good but….

(this is going to sound stupid)

it would have been better if there was no connection to the other alien films. knowing beforehand it was sort of a prequel made you have a preconception of the film.

alex222
    Free Member

yeah the predator one is better but it is in the wrong context in this case.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Watched it last night.

Don’t think it can be compair it to Alien/s …. different budget, studio expectations and too broad a target market becuase of that. As a summer blockbuster 8 outta 10…. as an “aliens” film far less.

Didnt know beforehand that a Lost writer had anything to do with it…. but came out with that same hollow Lost feeling…. Yeah good to ask questions but answer a few please for the sake of entertainment.

But then again

Emsz said this 3 pages back “8 pages and not one mention of the massive amounts of xtian symbols in the film.”

This.

Thinking about it this morning and now having read this thread… is this not what it’s all about ??

Those who behave like God, the SJ and Weyland, die. Creating a monster/evil as they do so.

While the one who “only” beleives in God lives to carry on her search for the orgins of life ?

So how religious is Ridley Scott or indeed the Lost writer?

Because religious text will ask more questions than they answer.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘Prometheus’ is closed to new replies.