Project 'Ibis Bow-ti single-speed' – a full sus SS with added niche…

Home Forum Bike Forum Project 'Ibis Bow-ti single-speed' – a full sus SS with added niche…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Project 'Ibis Bow-ti single-speed' – a full sus SS with added niche…
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

be interesting to see how you get on with that tensioner – I used a Rohloff DH tensioner on my Giant NRS recently.

cynic-al

At least 7″ of travel is needed in the Surrey Hills isnt it?

psychle

That’s why I have two Ibi Mr Al ๐Ÿ˜‰

cynic-al

I had one before you did ๐Ÿ˜›

daznal

Is the added niche the 15ft seatpost?

psychle

I need to chop that down as well, ’tis true… just want to settle on a height before I do so ๐Ÿ˜ณ

jontydewolfe

you’re lucky i’m not drunk yet or i’d have spewed on my laptop. thats rank. utterly rank

King-ocelot

The bomber looks good in that colourway.

Needs a gold headset to compliment the forks or a black one.

psychle

It’s taken a while, but have finally gotten around to converting the Bow-ti to SS, took me most of the afternoon to setup (mainly due to a couple of missing tools and hamfisted-ness on my part!) but finally done, thought I’d share the results – the lines look much ‘cleaner’ now don’t you think? ๐Ÿ˜€

IMG_3231 by ten_sim, on Flickr

I have to build up a proper SS wheelset for this, based on White Industries hubs (eccentric on the rear obviously), but for now will run the hated tensioner…

Rides rather nicely and is silly light (need to take it up to the LBS for the official weigh in), a little noisy with the tensioner which is a tad annoying, but I’ll deal for now I guess. Going out for a proper ride over the weekend, so watch out for it in the Surrey Hills 8)

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

colourway

๐Ÿ™„ blimmin yanks!

ti_pin_man

Looks like a good start but to make it even better, the White ind wheels to remove chain tensioner then send it to Potts and get a disk mount and remove the brake bosses, job done! ;-). Not had an excuse to ride mine in months!

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Personally thought it looked better with Period 24 speed setup…

tazzymtb

that is more wrong than licking marmite from a granny’s undercarriage ๐Ÿ˜ฏ *

*only saying that as you’ve upset me ๐Ÿ™‚

psychle

you’re lucky i’m not drunk yet or i’d have spewed on my laptop. thats rank. utterly rank

You just don’t appreciate a classic do you? ๐Ÿ˜†

Personally thought it looked better with Period 24 speed setup…

With the ‘team america’ groupset?

IMG_7678 by ten_sim, on Flickr

send it to Potts and get a disk mount and remove the brake bosses, job done

Still something I’m considering tbh, though it won’t be cheap… the arch supremes are pretty good for v-brakes to be fair ๐Ÿ™‚

Psychle, what day are you out this weekend? I’m off that way on Monday….

psychle

I can do Monday… when you heading out (and where)?

Elfinsafety

Yeah actually Psy, Monday ride?

Not sure. Keep an eye out for an E150……..
    ๐Ÿ™‚

ChunkyMTB

we will …

Elfinsafety

I think it’s better left as a V-brake bike really. It’s the ideal long day XC pootling machine, not a gnarly rad trail cruncher. V-brakes are fine. Speshly the ones Psy’s got on there! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Psy; you need to give me those Cook Bros cranks mate….

psychle

I think it’s better left as a V-brake bike really. It’s the ideal long day XC pootling machine, not a gnarly rad trail cruncher. V-brakes are fine. Speshly the ones Psy’s got on there!

V’s are fine in the dry, but pretty ordinary in the wet… plus you wear out your rims fairly quickly in anything but dusty Summer… You’re right on it being a lovely long day XC pootling machine, though it is blimmin fast and nimble when you want it to be!

grum

You really have two of those fugly and ludicrously expensive things? Do you actually ride them? ๐Ÿ˜›

psychle

You really have two of those fugly and ludicrously expensive things? Do you actually ride them?

Not two of the same… but two Ibis’s, yes ๐Ÿ˜€ and yes, they get ridden ๐Ÿ˜€

IMG_3231 by ten_sim, on Flickr

DSCF4239 by ten_sim, on Flickr

grum

The other one is pretty sweet, but the silly lightweight one should go in a skip. ๐Ÿ™‚

angryratio

I sincerely hope your retro willy has been well and truely helicoptered on Retrobike with that thing..

they’d love that thing.

flashes

What are the wheels in the top pic? Nice………..

tangent

hilarious thread for a hilarious if retro-heroic frameset…maybe a
    ti-flexstem is required up front ๐Ÿ˜†

Just wondering will the drivetrain still function as a singlspeed if you fit an ENO set-up?…

psychle

hilarious thread for a hilarious if retro-heroic frameset…

Not sure what you’re alluding to there guv… it’s certainly not a ‘hilarious’ frame (apart from it’s marmite looks perhaps), possibly one of the most superbly engineered frames ever created – do you know how (and indeed why) it works?

Just wondering will the drivetrain still function as a singlspeed if you fit an ENO set-up?

As far as I know, there’s no chain growth due to the pivotless design, so no reason why an ‘authentic’ SS setup wouldn’t work. I also have a Forward Components EBB that I could fit, but I really like the Middleburn Unu setup with a Royce Ti BB, so that leaves me with the ENO setup instead (though, I guess I could give the Middleburn X-type cranks a go, do they work with the Uno chain ring??) – is their axle the same as a Shimano HTII setup?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Project 'Ibis Bow-ti single-speed' – a full sus SS with added niche…’ is closed to new replies.