Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 492 total)
  • Project Binky
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well if you look at Retropower they completely cover every square mm in Dynamat so obviously has some benefit. The thing with metal is it transmits vibration so no good partially covering the panels and stop them from vibrating, but you just then directs the energy into all the bits not covered with Dynamite and other things start vibrating and generating noise like bits of trim which can be the most annoying thing ever. So no point going to all the effort, economising on the Dynamat and having a rattly dashboard. Not something you can install after the fact.

Nice to see the attention to detail, but they’re not half stretching it out now. Didn’t need to see so much dynamat installation and upholstering. You get the idea what they’re doing so a bit of a short section showing them one bit to demonstrate how meticulous they’re being then just cut to the finished bit. Not an issue if the next episode is coming next week but if we have to wait another 4 months or so it’s just getting a bit too drawn out. Want to see an end to this project now and see them crack on with L’Escargot and any other projects they’ve got in the planning.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There must be about £10k’s worth of dynamat in there, it’s not cheap stuff!

I’m going to guess that as every TV/YTer always uses it, there’s probably a sponsorship offering from them.

but they’re not half stretching it out now.

I think when they reached year 7 of this 18 month build I concluded they’re enjoying the build more than the though of finishing it, but in their defence I get the impression they put out these ‘less sexy’ episodes not to drag it out, but because they haven’t put out an episode for months.

It’s pretty crazy to think that they released an episode called “is the end neigh?” to say that Binky was nearly finished, teasing the next project and introducing Escargot 2 years ago, but Shirley there can’t be many more now? Engine and drivetrain next time, what’s left? Bolt in the seats and carpet and drive the thing?

stumpy01

I enjoy the series, but it is getting a little silly now. I actually fell asleep watching the dynamat going in. Oh look, another small piece of sticky sound deadening being stuck-on. Oh, another one….

They seem to have built that Citroen C1 race car, modded it & did a whole race series in less time than it takes them to open the tool box for any Binky related vids. 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

Was there a video on the heater box piping fabrication to get it behind the dash?

I’ve watched them all, but they kind of blur into one continuous steam of obsession bordering on lunacy. I don’t think it’s the sort of thing they’d skip, but maybe they thing everyone’s bored of yet more fabrication, or maybe they’re bored of pending 4x as long as it takes to do filiming it.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Weirdly, I quite enjoyed that episode – it ended far quicker than I was expecting it to..!

Would be nice if they did crack on with the other projects, though I don’t feel as invested in Escargot etc

sharkattack

I thought the same… But then the lengths they went to with everything else, I’m not surprised.

I’m the nicest possible way, I suspect a touch of OCD…

Definitely. I love watching them work. I don’t care if people think they’re dragging it out or some episodes seem slow. It’s free and I like watching it. I hope to have a fraction of the attention to detail if I ever buy another stinky project car.

Butyl roof flashing tape for me

Same here. I’ve just done my third van with it. 40 quids worth from Screwfix. The difference is massive even before I’ve added panels or carpets. I’ve turned the stereo down a few notches and we can speak in our indoor voices.

Well if you look at Retropower they completely cover every square mm in Dynamat so obviously has some benefit.

Yeah, the RRP is sky high and they can just add it on the invoice for whatever Captain of Industry is having their car built by Retropower them instead of doing it themselves.

Was there a video on the heater box piping fabrication to get it behind the dash?

That was impressive! I also can’t remember seeing them make it but I’ve been watching them in real time since the start so I’ve no doubt forgotten most of it.

sobriety
    Free Member

I also can’t remember seeing them make it but I’ve been watching them in real time since the start…

Maybe it’ll be another howie did it video, but involving the other “CAD”

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Been a fan of Retro Power since Gordon Murray project and hadn’t heard of Project Binky until today. Realised they’re only a mile from where I live too. Adds another subscription to growing YT list…

ta11pau1

Been a fan of Retro Power since Gordon Murray project and hadn’t heard of Project Binky until today. Realised they’re only a mile from where I live too. Adds another subscription to growing YT list…

You had better put a few days aside to catch up on the series, there’s 17 hours (20 hours with the extras/Q&As/outtakes) of videos to watch 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

perhaps god forbid some modern “tech” was used in making the heater ducting, horror of horrors a cnc plasma cutter!

Richie_B

Another Project Binky, another three months older….

There is starting to be the element of suspense (whether they get it finished before petrol is completely phased out)

ta11pau1

perhaps god forbid some modern “tech” was used in making the heater ducting, horror of horrors a cnc plasma cutter!

I had to chuckle at the various different methods of cutting the dynamat that were used.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Another Project Binky, another three months older…

So it’s been running for about ten years?

batfink
    Free Member

there are now 2 things that I want to see completed in my lifetime: Sagrada Familia, and project Binky.

The bonkers Cathedral is due for completion 2026

Rockhopper
    Free Member

What do these guys do for a living? They can’t be making money from YouTube given how infrequently they upload.

porter_jamie

4500 patrons at a couple of quid a month

Klunk
    Free Member

there are now 2 things that I want to see completed in my lifetime: Sagrada Familia, and project Binky.

what no leo love !!!!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

What do these guys do for a living? They can’t be making money from YouTube given how infrequently they upload.

They run a race and rally prep business. That’s why Binky is taking so long as they are doing it in their spare time.

Klunk
    Free Member

another side project

Murray

Lovely video

bentandbroken

Watched this last night and then saw an identical car driving through town this afternoon. Lovely to see, but I was slightly too far away to enjoy the engine/exhaust note

didnthurt

Watched the video and loved the guys enthusiasm for his car but what involvement had BOM with it?

z1ppy

Absolutely nothing that I could see, except maybe a great owner/car story? Luckily for them it’s their channel, & can post whatever they like…😉

Houns

The kings of brackets judge others

welshfarmer

Not long now. Next episode out a week tomorrow! Engine going in 🙂

mutley
    brads
    Free Member

Lost the will to live ages ago with the mini project.
    Life’s too short.

ta11pau1

That needs the interstellar docking scene sound track on it…

Klunk
    Free Member

Tally ho! launch vs Binky road legal.

reluctantjumper

Wouldn’t get too far ahead of yourself! They may have said that they hope to have Binky running for a show at the end of August but that could only be a shakedown, lots more to sort before it’s OTR. Will need an SVA test for starters!

Plus project cars are NEVER finished, can you imagine what the Bad Obsession boys will be like with a Snags list 🤣

onewheelgood

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I watched this last night.
    God it was so good to see bit’s going onto the car with the inevitable detours along the way. A great episode.

Murray

Yep, I enjoyed it too. Good to see Richard Brunning admitting that complex wiring looms are not his thing. Having said that, the new loom looks good. In retrospect it might have been better to start from scratch though.

reluctantjumper

Really enjoyed that one, you can see where all the hard work over the last few years has culminated in a relatively easy final assembly. It’s going to be stunning when it’s finished.

Klunk
    Free Member

fossy

There is serious amounts of paint on that car. No scrimping.

leffeboy

Very excellent episode.  Answered lots of question I had about how you use those ecu’s and test stuff

reluctantjumper

The ease of which that all went together and tested correctly is a testament to how well they’ve thought about the whole project. I didn’t expect anything less from them really but if all they had to worry about for the first firing was having the timing out 360 degrees then I’d call that a success!

MrOvershoot

Oh the joy of hearing it running 🙂

matt_outandabout

Someone in comments is saying 8 years since episode 1…?

Brilliant stuff at ever, not least the double entendres throughout.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.