Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 209 total)
  • Project 2017 – RS4 Avant
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Good, well we’re cool then 😀

flange
    Free Member

This is me pushing outside my preconcieved lifestyle box in order to test the boundaries and explore life a little, before its to late.

Preconceived lifestyle box…..*pictures mime artist*

FWIW entailed a night -in the pouring rain on Saturday/Sunday orienteering around 12 miles of Epping Forest.

That’s called dogging round our way..

theteaboy
    Free Member

Have to admit I’d find owning one of these massively stressful, especially having spent much of last night on the phone to the police while I watched an attempted burglary in a building site nearby.

With £20k-ish to spend I’d look at something I could enjoy most of, most of the time, rather than feeling even more frustrated about sitting in traffic.

Something like this: https://www.alfaholics.com/cars-for-sale/road-cars/alfa-romeo-2000gtv/

scotroutes

So why not follow my advice on your other “ponce-mobile” thread? Stop looking for happiness in acquisitions, cut your outgoings and look to “spend more time with the family”

bearnecessities

How about a kitten?

stumpy01

the teaboy – Member

With £20k-ish to spend I’d look at something I could enjoy most of, most of the time, rather than feeling even more frustrated about sitting in traffic.

This is probably what I’d be doing.
    Something like a Z4 Coupe or a 350Z (hmmm, probably for quite a bit less than £20k at a guess).
    It would have to be something I enjoyed driving, but also something that I’d turn around to glance back at as I walked away from it, so nothing like a ‘normal’ 3-series even if it did have a big engine.

growinglad
    Free Member

How about a kitten?

He’s got 20 Grand to spend…..

….that’s one expensive pu$5y.

Kryton57

So why not follow my advice on your other “ponce-mobile” thread? Stop looking for happiness in acquisitions, cut your outgoings and look to “spend more time with the family”

You didn’t read any of the above did you? I’ll spend my money how I like thanks, whilst at the same time also finding happiness in free stuff, nature, living with in my means, saving for the future AND spending time with my family, not that its any of your business tbh.

Got any RS4 content to contribute?

agent007
    Free Member

I still think an MX5 will be a more rewarding car to drive.

Well having driven both an MX5 (Mk 1 and 2) and an RS4 I prefer the RS4 hands down. The MX5 whils a great little car on the right road, for general use felt under powered, noisy, and not really very practical for an everyday proposition if you actually need to carry anything.

All the high power modern cars I have driven are just not attainable on the road and actually leave you feeling a bit disappointed.

Not at all, if you live anywhere near a decent driving road it’s more than possible to frequently use the full performance of an RS4 or similar machinery. More-so with the RS4 because it still performs whatever the weather and with a good margin of safety too. It’s all about picking the right place and time where it’s safe to do so.

Autoblipper, slipper clutch, traction control, 190bhp in a <200kg machine.. 0-100 quicker than the RS will do 0-60

So what – it’s a motorbike, a plane would be faster still, this is a car thread and personally I don’t have a fetish about wearing sweaty leather clothing, getting soaked to the skin and squashing my head into an upside-down pudding basin every time I leave the house. Doesn’t float my boat at all and you’re likely to very quickly end up an organ donor with all but the slightest of mistakes.

benp1

I love the RS4, but I don’t think I could stomach the running costs and potential bills if something goes wrong. They are AWESOMES

But, if I had the money and the time, and in similar circumstances to the ones I’m in now, I’d consider an RS2. They are rarer, more special, will appreciate over time, and is the original Audi/Porsche estate

Sundayjumper

I was almost in K57’s position this year, money burning a hole and feeling like I deserved a flash car, at least for a while. RS4 was a potential, as was some kind of BMW M. The M3 somehow didn’t excite, the M5 / M6 with the V10 seem quite cheap…. for a reason 😕 Getting stolen put me off the Audi a bit and general stories of repair bills on all of them were a bit horrific. Not the general consumables, more the opportunity for a sudden few £k out of the blue at semi-regular intervals. I even tried a Vantage (not as fast, but classier than a souped-up 3-Series / A4 IMO), but I’m too tall to fit in the cabin !

So I decided to stick with what I’ve already got. I’ve had it five years, it’s been pretty cheap to run, it’s certainly more capable than I am and it’s even quite practical too.

agent007
    Free Member

But, if I had the money and the time, and in similar circumstances to the ones I’m in now, I’d consider an RS2. They are rarer, more special, will appreciate over time, and is the original Audi/Porsche estate

Agree, or the B5, try finding a good one though!

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’d consider an RS2.

Just the one on Auto trader here

It sounds like a good idea, but compare the quality of a £26.5k 100 + miles RS2 and the same priced RS4 and its chalk and cheese. Plus, its a 22 year old car which means things will go wrong year after year and become increasingly expensive. For that reason….I’m out!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just for balance, and K57 obvz..

Nice bottom..

beej

I replaced my RS4 (B7) with an S4 (B8). If you want an RS4, don’t get talked into an S4. The S4 is nice, and better 97% of the time, but it doesn’t excite.

hanchurch
    Free Member

WOW this has progressed in the last few hours!
    Ask the same question on piston heads or an Audi forum I bet you get different answer! As a petrolhead I still say go for it just go with your eyes open!

Kryton57

As a petrolhead I still say go for it just go with your eyes open!

The very point of the thread. 🙂 Thanks for your contributions so far.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I did this exact thing a few years ago and bought a lovely 911. Always wanted one and enjoyed it immensely for a year then got bored and sold it. I’ve now been there and done that but it’s good to get it out of your system.

vinnyeh

I still say go for it just go with your eyes open!

Won’t this be your work vehicle as well- doing how many miles a year? 20mpg at how many pence per mile?
    This would be the deal breaker for me- high mileage, and a highly strung car, 10 years old = extremely high running costs. Didn’t you have an acceptability issue once before running an older car for work?

Completely different story if it’s just a weekend wagon/garage queen, but I wouldn’t be spending my own maintaining something like that if most of the time it’s used to get to and from clients…

choppersquad
    Free Member

The only two things you really need to know are:
    1-I want one.
    2-I hate you.

choppersquad
    Free Member

3-I don’t really…..you’re just a very lucky man.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I miss that V8!
    free image host][/url]

NZCol

I had an 07 b7 rs4 avant for a number of years, was second owner and got it from audi with 22,000kms on it. Avus silver. Utter beast of a thing, tootling around in it sounded like the transmission was trying to eat itself. It was like a rabid dog on a leash. But for an open road machine it was amazing to drive. Not efficient in any way but on a good open road cruise it would do a decent mpg unless you spent too long on the loud pedal with the S button activated. I remapped mine for better throttle response and also to smooth the torque curve in the bands I generally drive it, it also made it a lot more efficient.
    But they can be a touch fragile and parts are not cheap, drc is one issue, carbon coking another, active engine mounts as well. But the noise and that engine, amazing thing, handled well, i tracked mine every time it needed new tyres or brakes. Ah yes brakes, not cheap.
    Honestly get one, but get a nice one, I looked last year and the 4 I looked at were all rough. That’s the problem with a sub 20k supercar performance hatchback.

singletrackmind

My old boss had a 07 reg salon. went like stink ( yes he let me drive it around )
    Brakes £1000 discs and pads, tyres £200 – £300 each, iirc they are super soft compound so have BB date and dont last very long.
    He had issues with the adjustable inlet tracts stopping working. Ran ok, just down on power.
    Big alloys easy to kerb
    The driving expereince is right up there
    There is a go fast button that tightens the wing backed Recaros and fastens up the throttle response.
    I dont think they will go much cheaper , might bottom out at £11/£12k but then they become affordable / desirable to so many more people the price goes up

You wont be going orienteering in Epping any more , unless you carry a map to get you home as your car wont be there when you get back.

Its still a lump of metal that gets you from A to B
    You can only go as fast as the car in front , and there is always a car in front.
    Filing up every 3 days soon becomes tiresome.

angeldust
    Free Member

Sanctimonious jealousy.

nickewen
    Free Member

Hang on, I haven’t had a chance to catch up fully on both threads but (and correct me if I’m wrong) you’ve went from upgrading your 120 to a 320 to considering an RS4 in fairly short order?! Is this correct??

Never driven a B7 RS4 (or any RS4) but I do like them a lot. However, with any car like this out of warranty I just couldn’t sleep at night not knowing when it was about to rinse me for many £k’s.

Anyway, If you end up back on M135s I’ve got one of them so feel free to pick my brains..

shifter
    Free Member

C63. Come on OP – spend yourself happy.

tom200

Trouble is it will always be an Audi. I’d go with the BMW or get another spec b legacy and spend my money of bikes.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The B7 is brilliant; two people in my family have had one. One saloon and one estate.

Compared to modern cars they’re dinky inside and the sat nav dates them a lot but it’s more than made up for with some of the coolest looking seats ever (which are often stolen). They make a fan noise and handle very well, breaking the Audi stereotype. Did I mention the noise? Doubt you’ll see much more than 20mpg. One of the owners said that if he drove like a dick he saw 17mpg and if like saint he saw 18mpg. He swapped if for a V10 RS6 but I preferred the RS4 (the RS6 had mental running costs).

The estate owner had his a while and said maintenance wasn’t too bad but it was stolen from his drive but recovered. The ignored his 993’s and just took the RS4.

Maintaining it would be my worry now; the suspension is expensive when it goes and sorting out the coking issue isn’t cheap. Buy a good one and go into ownership with your eye open and you’ll have a future classic.

Kryton57

C63. Come on OP – spend yourself happy.

There is a limit.

Nickewen – yes. I can trade up to a M135i on my PCP now which is tempting, but winters here… it might try to kill me.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by the C63 just because it sounds like utter filth (in a good way). Cold start up is amazeballs.

There’s a nice approved estate for £26k… The interior is more modern than the RS4’s but you need to be careful with the spec so they don’t look too gangster.

The RS4 is probably a prettier car; to me the B7 is well proportioned, it looks proper but without being too OTT.

simmy
    Free Member

Everyone does what they want with their hard earned. I’ve always wanted a Ford RS and was seriously tempted by the latest Focus.

I could afford the payments etc but, where I live, it will get nicked. They will follow me home. I will be broken into for the keys. I will get carjacked at the lights.

Not being paranoid, being realistic. Saw a bloke with an RS put a Disklok on it just when he nipped into Morrisons the other day.

Bloke I’m acquainted to has Ferraris and he keeps them in a location 6 miles from his home and always takes the long way there.

scotroutes

Ha ha.

While I’m sure there are many on here for whom Kryton57 is some sport of aspirational zenith, I can assure you I’m not amongst them. I was merely proferring some advice.

nickewen
    Free Member

You could probably get a set of winter tyres for the 18’s on an M135 for the price of an RS4 front disc.. But avoid the auto if winter is a concern. If ordering new (but I guess that would be an M140) and you’re really wanting to get into the dynamics of the vehicle tick the LSD box.. I tried but apparently parking sensors etc. Are more important (we both drive each other’s cars)… You can imagine the discussion in the dealership!

The only thing that niggles me a little about the 135 is the road noise on long journeys – it’s just not as quiet and refined in the cabin as it should be. It’s potentially no different to your 120 M sport but just a heads up. Maybe I got too used to my 325i SE saloon on balloon tyres.. Other than that it is an absolute peach.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

There will be many opinions on this for you OP.

Some will say it’s great. Some will say it’s pants. Many, who have never driven one, will say the handling is rubbish. Some will tell you to get something else etc etc etc.

Go and try one.

I had a fast Audi many years ago when I had money (my children ensure I am poor now) and I can tell you it was great fun. Great engine, the quattro system is fantastic!, handling was great for such a large and heavy car.

My advice is simply to go and try one. But be aware of the bills that will come with it.
    Fuel is okay, I never did mind that at all.
    Suspension is a swine! And it costs a fortune! The suspension works very well but the bugger will need rebuilt to remove the knocks and movement that will innevitably happen at some point.
    Parts are expensive, labour too. But you only live once and it’s all about having fun

🙂

Kryton57

aspirational zenith

Those that know me on here will have pissed themselves laughing at that statement.

scotroutes

😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting reading. Had a colleague who bought one after a 911, loved both cars in a different way. Older performance cars are like yachts, it’s not the purchase price which will get you but the running costs. OP if you have the itch just scratch it 🙂 yup tyres, discs, ved etc will be pricey but that’s the cost of ownership.

Mugboo

Apologies if it’s been done but check out T4 Transformations, they blended a T5 with an RS4 for the ultimate bikewagen

CountZero

I’d be tempted by the C63 just because it sounds like utter filth (in a good way). Cold start up is amazeballs.

Too bloody right! Had to pick one up from a dealer, got in and started it up, that initial ‘bark’ really made me jump!
    Stunning car, lovely to drive, and that engine noise! Did provoke some juvenile behaviour, came up behind a sales-type driving one of those Jag S-Types, the Mondeo ones, window down, white shirt sleeve on top of door, so I snuck up behind, dropped it a couple and booted it as I went past.
    I should be ashamed of myself. 😈

Did I mention that engine sound?
    Given a lottery win, I’d dearly love an RS6, more practical than a C63, although the Merc is fabulous, but I’d never, ever have a BMW.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘Project 2017 – RS4 Avant’ is closed to new replies.