Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Progressive multifocal lenses
  • aphex_2k

Just got some new glasses with the above lenses.

So far I’m 90% happy, but only a few days into wearing them. Close up – amazing. I can read tiny writing. Brilliant. Distance – again, fine. The only problem I have, and it seems to be more the left lense than both, is that mid-distance doesn’t seem quite right. It seems the area assigned to mid range is quite small – I know I have to move my head rather than my eyes to see through them, just seems the left lense perhaps needs a tweak. The right eye is fine. I’m wondering if the script is off slightly, or if there is a period of adjustment. I”m only a few days in but I just can’t see the left lense suddenly “hitting the spot”. Will go back to my optician natch, just wondered how others find them. I know there’s a lot who just dont get on with them at all but the progressive lenses are not as clearly separated as bi/tri focals so it could just be me expecting too much too soon?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I think my ‘occupational’ lenses are the same, but not for long distance.

I did find it took a week for my eyes to relax into them – I think they had been working so hard before that when doing screen work.

Fwiw, with the anti glare coating and way they work these are superb compared to my old reading glasses.

jkomo

It sounds like you are actually doing pretty well with them at this stage. Keep going for a week or so and try not to overthink it, in fact try to forget about them. For lots of people the problems just go away once you get used to them. If not, go back.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

+1 for the advice above. It took me a few weeks to feel comfortable with them too.
    My mate gave up after a week and went back to normal single vision and peering over the top if he needed to see anything close. Mad.

birky

I got a pair back in February and really didn’t like them at first, thought about going back and asking for single focus lenses. It took 2-3 weeks to get used to them but absolutely fine now.

aphex_2k

Yeah I thought this would be the case. Weirdly, looking at things > arms length away, through the left lens things look good when I look through the bottom of the lens – I thought this was for nearer stuff so if I…. Ahh you know what, I’m overthinking it all. The shop I go to have always been brilliant. They don’t push the hard-sell for this coating or this manufacturer. They use Fuji lenses which they say they are the best but I’ll just give it more time and let me eyes adjust naturally over time. Just been out on the bike up to town and didn’t have any issues.

Given how nice things look close up / text I don’t think I could go back to single vision now anyway. I’m noticing that just the slight movement of my head makes a real difference and I’m probably trying to look at the wrong range through the wrong bit of the lens.

And I’ve just noticed I can read the day/date on my watch so, that’s nice!

deadkenny

Still struggle with mine. It’s the narrow area for near and mid that bugs me as a slight glance off centre makes me want to clean the lens or I think my eyes are buggered (more than they are). That and they’re useless for computer work. I have to swap to regular glasses or use my contacts.

Indoors I find it frustrating trying to get the distance and looking through the right part depending what I’m looking at. That said though, outdoors they’re pretty good and handy for reading stuff in a shop / cafe / etc. Though want to look at something properly close up I’ll still just take them off, so is there really much benefit?

The best thing is the distance vision is set very sharp. Regular glasses and contacts have it more at a compromise so medium vision is okay also.

aphex_2k

See my distance and mid vision has always been alright, it was just close up that I was having issues with. On the laptop now it’s not bad at about 14-18″ from the screen looking dead on. When I look to the left or right (without actually moving my head) it’s a bit wobbly, and when I look at the keyboard it’s fine, but moving left to right to look at the keyboard it’s kind of a “hey, I’m on acid!” kind of feeling.

I’ll give it a few days. I think the left lens could do with a tweak – perhaps recheck my script and compare to what the lens has been made up to. It could all be in my mind though. Damn that acid.

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

I have two pairs, one ‘computer’ pair with the main area optimised for screen distance but the bottom for closer and a smaller distance area, and one ‘general’ pair that have a more uniform variation with a much wider distance spot. I wear the computer ones for everything except driving. I really notice the loss of peripheral focus if I get in the car with the wrong ones. When I first used varifocals, everything moved when I turned my head, but that stopped after a week.

aphex_2k

Not a bad idea Greybeard – I’ve got 2 or 3 pairs of standard lenses which are fine for day to day just crap for small print and detail close. I think what my initial problem was, was swapping back and forth “trying” to see things when I should really stick with this new pair and give em a fair crack. Just sat and watched Line of Duty and actually really pleased with how things appeared – I’m not noticing things wobbling as much as I was told to expect.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Are these the same as varifocal? It took me a few days to get totally used to mine. By “move your head” I assume you mean whilst looking at the same object. That would make sense. If they don’t seem right you should definitely go back to your optician. That’s what you pay them for.

aphex_2k

Yeah varifocal / multifocal same same. Progressive just means there’s less obvious switch between the bi or tri focal part of the lense.

By moving my head I mean normal you look through all parts of a single vision lens but with these you kind of have to look through the right bit, depending on what you want to look at. So to look at detail such as small text, I have to move the item into that range, or look towards the item by raising my chin so I look through the “near” part of the prescription.

Maybe it’s because my left eye needs to adjust more to them, I’m just not entirely sure the “mid” vision part is as good as it could be. So I’ll give it a few more days and nip back in and see what they say.

(And it really doesn’t help when you’re playing with a new flashlight and accidentally hit yourself with 3000 lumens. So once the retina burn has dissipated………… literally, damn, my eye)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.