Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Programmers – How many monitors do you use?
  • GrahamA
    Free Member

I think that there are a few of us on here.

I need your help, I’m doing some research (for an MSc Course) into how many monitors software developers use.

If you can spare five minutes or so there is a survey here

Klunk
    Free Member

GrahamA
    Free Member

@Klunk -Thanks – I’m starting to worry that I’m not going to find any single monitor users!

Klunk
    Free Member

the last 2 places I worked (computer games) every programmer and artist used two monitors, sometimes 2 of the huge dell widescreen bad boys.

nixie

Done. Hate coding with 1 monitor!

dudeofdoom

I’ve got one big one…..used to use dual widescreen for years but prefer a large single.

isto
    Free Member

Two. A while ago i was the only one with two…..now most us have two. Although am noticing the people edging away from the technical side of things seem happy with 1. Will do the survey in a bit for you.

GrahamA
    Free Member

@dudeofdoom – Thats really useful I was hoping that there where some large single monitor users out there.

GrahamS

Three.

Main one is a massive 27 inch 2560×1440 IPS display.

Flanked on each side by a bog standard 1280×1024 TN display.

Side ones get used for reference documents, email, VMs, output monitoring etc.

sam_underhill

2. But with windows 10 supporting better window docking and some of big super wide monitors coming to the market, I’d happily have 1 that was as wide as 2 stuck together.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Quick question, does “How many monitors does you computer have?” mean how mean screen are you using in total? ie one on my laptop and one external = 2 ?

Either way, I use 2 in total. Built in 13″ screen for reference docs or document/website previews and a large external for actually coding on. I’d probably be happy with 1 if I was on a desktop machine and the monitor had enough real estate.

john_drummer
    Free Member

laptop screen + 1 16?in monitor when in the office.
    laptop screen on its own when WFH (which is 80% of the time)

survey done

TheBrick
    Free Member

Quick question, does “How many monitors does you computer have?” mean how mean screen are you using in total? ie one on my laptop and one external = 2 ?

Exactly. I have two on development machine but tor run tests I require 5, but across a selection of machiens.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Used to use 2 back in the good old desktop/Matrox days, when resolutions were low(ish) and 2 monitors really made a big difference. Then started working from home on a laptop 10-odd years ago and was too cheap to buy a 2nd monitor. Now I’m mostly in the office, but don’t bother with 2.

br
    Free Member

All my developers use two.

GrahamA
    Free Member

@whatnobeer – Exactly right – total number of screens

@TheBrick
    – thanks for the insight – I hadn’t really considered people using an array of computers do you use completely separate machines, remote desktop or a KVM switch to control them?

lesgrandepotato

One. Laptop user working from wherever the work is

al2000

Two, plus a small USB monitor for server logs.

So, three then.

GrahamS

No idea why any developer who sits at the same desk every day wouldn’t have more than one monitor.
    It’s not like monitors cost much these days and it makes a massive difference to how effectively I can work.

That said I’m puzzled by people who can work all day on crappy laptop keyboards and touchpads, so maybe I’m just an ergonomics-phile:)

cokie

2, everyone in our office is on 2.

ajf
    Free Member

3 monitors in our place for front end developers.

Back end guys have 2.

Justification is we tend to need more programs open at same time.

got to admit when the change from 2 to 3 monitors happened it was a bit of a novelty but now couldn’t imagine working with any less. Guess its what you get used to.

mogrim

One, don’t like using two monitors. I suppose they’re useful for some stuff, but generally prefer to focus on one thing at a time. Quite happy using a laptop keyboard.

GrahamA
    Free Member

@GrahamS – I agree, unless you are using one very large screen. I prefer a laptop keyboard as it very thin but I’ve been able to use a touchpad – much prefer a mouse.

GrahamS

@GrahamS – I agree, unless you are using one very large screen.

I am using one very large screen (27 inch 2560×1440). I’m just using two smaller screens as well 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

Done. Developer, one screen (laptop). I like to move around the house quite a bit so don’t use a fixed desk.

dudeofdoom

I’d struggle to get 3 27’s on my desk and tbh would never work on a laptop anymore as they are an ergonomic nightmare…but I’m getting on at 47 an been programming for 25 years(nearly got the hang of it mind you) so I’m cranky..

dudeofdoom

I’d ask if people are using iPads or tablets as they are good for email/tech docs.

allthegear
    Free Member

One laptop 13″ monitor – suits me just fine, especially as it’s a Retina MacBook. I do have another desktop monitor I could plug in but just don’t bother.

Rachel

GrahamS

By the way the survey seems focussed on two monitors.

One of the questions is something like “Is your main monitor on the right or left?”, well neither via I have 3, the main monitor is central.

Likewise the options on how you arrange ide and application also implies two monitors. In fact I’ll often be running two IDEs, one application and some comms/hardware monitoring.

GrahamA
    Free Member

@GrahamS thanks for the feedback – I expected most people to have one or two monitors but I should have allowed for right/left/center

jwh
    Free Member

One Big monitor for coding on.
    No need for 2.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Two, landscape, same size and have to be lined up as if they were one screen but for some reason I prefer this to one bigger screen. Sometimes I have to use a laptop and external screen but I don’t like the screens being different sizes. Pretty much everyone around me is the same set up.

llama

3 is enough

IanMunro
    Free Member

2 big uns, one for the ide/debug, the other for google/datsheets etc.

solamanda
    Free Member

Survey done. I use 3 and I’d use 4 if my desk were big enough! As a SQL Dev I’m often working across several different servers and more monitors allows me to easy keep each screen to one environment so mistakes are less likely and also makes work much faster.

butcher

Currently on one at work, but that’s not my choice. Have always worked with two in the past. Find myself getting muddled up otherwise. Like others, I don’t see the sense in using just one when it’s so much more productive to have two or three.

TheBrick
    Free Member

@TheBrick – thanks for the insight – I hadn’t really considered people using an array of computers do you use completely separate machines, remote desktop or a KVM switch to control them?

I have a keyboard and mouse on each machine that I mainly use but I also have synergy setup with my main machine as the server. It depends what I’m doing if I swap to the computers keyboard / mouse of just flick across using my main keyboard and mouse with synergy.

fubar
    Free Member

What size monitor do you use?
    15″ or less
    17″

15.6″ is a common laptop size I think…I went for the 15″ or less option as the closest.

GrahamA
    Free Member

@fubar thanks, I did try separate laptop sizes but it looked a mess

JulianA
    Free Member

Two, but have used three and would like to again.

Main coding screen is the large one straight ahead, the small one to the left is where I check it works in Chrome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Programmers – How many monitors do you use?’ is closed to new replies.