Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Processed Meat
  • grum
    Free Member

Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young, a study of half a million people across Europe suggests.

It concluded diets high in processed meats were linked to cardiovascular disease, cancer and early deaths.

The researchers, writing in the journal BMC Medicine, said salt and chemicals used to preserve the meat may damage health.

However, anecdotal evidence suggests that not eating bacon and sausages significantly diminishes your quality of life, to a level below that which most people would find acceptable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21682779

jumble
    Free Member

It’s the nitrates introduced in the curing process that is the problem. Read up on it in the Health Delusion or other such material. Buying it from your local butcher will make no difference to this.

binners

It might do. Smugness is more conducive to a longer life, surely?

zilog6128

It’s the nitrates introduced in the curing process that is the problem.

Are they though? In the tiny quantities that most people (not Binners) consume? Bear in mind that a lot of things, like alcohol and fluoride are also poisonous, and we’re quite happy to consume those on a regular basis.

theflatboy
    Free Member

According to Fast Food Nation, the incubation period for vCJD may be 10-20 years. So we’re probably all walking dead anyway. 🙁

ransos
    Free Member

The only preservatives I use in my curing mixtures are salt and smoke. Both of which are no doubt reducing my life expectancy.

wwaswas

All these wierd curing mixtures people use.

Is there any evidence that pigs are getting better as a result?

damo2576
    Free Member

If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?

traildog
    Free Member

Bacon from the high quality butcher is still preserved/processed meat. It’s the curing process that apparently causes the problem. This has been known about for years and every so often a report is released that says as such.

People love bacon and will not care, or bury their heads in the sand by saying they only get high quality processed meat from the butcher, so they’re fine.

And give it a few more years and another report will be released saying the same and the cycle will continue.

Smoking massively increases your chances of cancer and there are lots of people happy to do that. And Bacon/ham is nice. You have to make up your own choice how much this worries you.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw[/video]

yoshimi

Can’t remember the last time I ate bacon – but sausages, my word, I love sausages!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It might do. Smugness is more conducive to a longer life, surely?

evidence suggests that a life free of bacon rolls, pizza and alcohol is not any longer. it just feels that way

ransos
    Free Member

Bacon from the high quality butcher is still preserved/processed meat. It’s the curing process that apparently causes the problem. This has been known about for years and every so often a report is released that says as such.

But what is it about curing that causes a problem? Salt consumption?

Blackhound

On R5 this morning some expert reckoned sausages were better for you than bacon. The presenter did sound surprised at this, as was I. Don’t eat a lot of bacon and sausages very rarely.

Binners was not quite correct ^^ there when ranting on the retired; we go to the Lakes mid-week (it’s quieter and it’s rounds of Cannock Chase:-)

eugeo81
    Free Member

Ive had two bacon buttys this week.. 😯

tenfoot

Solo

See now, I’m confused…..

If fish is uber good for you…..

Ah yeah, but no more than 4 portions a week, because of possible mercury poisoning!

Not to mention bad breath.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Some people get confused between “living longer” and “being alive with a horribly diseased body”.

I’m not bothered about living a “long life” but while I am alive I would rather be without cancer or other “diseases”.

I sometimes eat processed meat but not very often.
    Some people will eat it every day.
    Perhaps information like this is aimed at them.
    It’s just “information”

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The daily wail did its usual trick if a scary front page headline “one in 30 deaths caused bacon” or similar . In the final para the scientist says that the odd bacon sandwich won’t kill you.

It’s simply correlation between bacon eaters and cancer. It DoES NOT MEAN THAT BACON CAUSES CANCER.

aye-aye
    Free Member

“one in 30 deaths caused bacon”

I think this figure is higher for pigs

Cougar

Surely if you cure something it gets better?

wallop

So is it better to eat cereal and fruit juice for breakfast, and get diabetes instead?

Down with the ham haters!

maccruiskeen

did the BBC really report last night that people who eat processed meat are “40% more likely to die”? Its worrying enough that I’m already 100% likely to die.

Solo
    Free Member

it just feels that way

Well… yeah, it would. What a drag, life without bacon and sausages.
    Would it be worth carrying on ?.
    😐

Ive had two bacon buttys this week..

Does your life insurance cover death by bacon butty ?.

Surely if you cure something it gets better

Not in the case of death. Which is just as well as I don’t want to have to chase my bacon around the kitchen.

So is it better to eat cereal and fruit juice for breakfast, and get diabetes instead?

Down with the ham haters
    😯

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Does riding a lot of road miles counter act the effects of ham.?

Solo
    Free Member

Does riding a lot of road miles counter act the effects of ham.?

Is the answer 7 ?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

What about hot cross buns, thats what I’ve just had. Any danger from them I wonder.

yunki
    Free Member

processed food is the dogs bollocks IMO..

think about it.. you go to a very good restaurant and the stock is going to be made from trimmings, bones, fat, necks, feet etc.. but you’ll be paying through the nose..

I can get all that good expensive stuff for 99p from iceland in a bag of turkey crapsticks..

get over yourselves innit!

If you eat meat, don’t be fussy about whether it was hacked off the flank by your local butcher, I prefer mine pressure washed off the bones of dead battery hens..

If you really want to do something constructive with your life to garner a sense of superiority, eat the rich.. 😀

(disclaimer.. I suffer with IBD so processed stuff is a bit easier on my digestive system)

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Processed Meat’ is closed to new replies.