Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Processed Meat
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

So are you getting your share and reducing your life expectancy ?
    Would seem to be if you a big eater of processed meat you are likely to be a smoker/drugy[?]/drinker. An addictive personality ?

wwaswas

Are we allowed pictures of kebabs on this thread?

anonymouse
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

Just saw that on the news. Is it that bacon is bad or that people who have regular bacon butties have a generally unhealthy diet and lifestyle

phil.w
    Free Member

I saw this on the news site earlier. Another case of journalists twisting research findings to create a story.

People who eat a lot of processed meat such as ham, bacon, sausages and burgers run a greater risk of premature death and developing conditions such as cancer and heart disease

Which would make you think the meat is the issue.

From the same article

Dr Carrie Ruxton, said… The fact those who consumed the largest amounts of processed meat also displayed other unhealthy habits meant it was hard to confidently ascribe risk of death to meat eating alone.

So it’s actually saying people who eat a lot of processed meat have other unhealthy habits. Some or all of these may lead to them dying earlier.

binners

Given what our old age is likely going to look like … work until your 70+, subsistence level pension while you become a liability to your offspring and the country in general…. who really wants to live to be really really old anyway? Seriously? Especially if it means no bacon butties, fags, booze and drugs?

Why is it the longevity seems to be an end in itself? Its ridiculous! Fine for today’s golden generation with their final salary pension schemes, universal healthcare, winter jaunts to Tenerife, nice meals out, weekends in the Lakes and rounds of golf. Its going to be a completely different animal when/if we arrive there

Burger anyone?

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’d like the food nazi’s to spend more effort telling us what we ARE allowed to eat rather than tutting and frowning at us for eating all the ‘bad’ things.

I suspect if we compiled a list of all the foods that are (allegedly) life-expectancy-reducing, it would cover 80% of all our diets.

These people must be absolute bores to eat out with too.

Stoner
    Free Member

to be fair to the BBC journalists on the radio this morning they were very careful to say that eating processed meat sill increased risks once HAVING NORMALISED for correlated poor health habits

mikey74
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance (I am not a big red meat eater) but how is bacon any more processed than your average steak, smoked salmon, chicken fillet etc etc?

I thought bacon was just cured slices of pork loin (or pork belly in the US). Are they saying the curing process is bad for you?

When I think of processed meat I think of chicken nuggets, slices of processed ham, turkey roll etc etc.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Calm down it’s all ok…just have some Tomato Ketchup with yout bacon and sausage mc muffin as it counts for 1 a day and is packed with Lycopene and antioxidants.. Honest.

@Mikey74
    Bacon is full of sulphites and many other “added ingredients” next time you are in the supermarket look at the difference on the use by date for bacon v’s sirloin steak for example.

wwaswas

Are they saying the curing process is bad for you?

basically yes.

mince is ok but anythign that involves preservatives is bad.

Coyote
    Free Member

Good point mikey.

Plus which the “experts” are always banging on about the Mediterranean diet being good. Last time I was in Barcelona, various cured meats played a pretty big part in the diet.

I would say that the shit weather and constant bombardment of negativity from the “media” is far more detrimental to health and wellbeing than the occasional bacon and black pudding butty. So please forgive me if, after my run tonight, I head off in the morning to the little butty shop in Pentre for a Friday treat.

martinhurton
    Free Member

I suspect if we compiled a list of all the foods that are (allegedly) life-expectancy-reducing, it would cover 80% of all our diets.

I suspect that you would be right, and perhaps that is why there is such a problem with obesity and related diseases.

johndoh
    Free Member

I eat bacon and I also pick my nose and eat it – that’s a bad habit.

Perhaps the nose food will give me cancer.

Solo
    Free Member

See now, I’m confused…..

If fish is uber good for you, but bacon isn’t.

What do we do with bacon fish ?.

Solo
    Free Member

that’s a bad habit.

Oh yeah.

😯

binners

Your definitely going to die. Bogies are made out of enriched uranium. Everyone knows that

Solo
    Free Member

Your definitely going to die. Bogies are made out of enriched uranium. Everyone knows that

Almost. They’re brain poo, and even I have standards.

kcr
    Free Member

I’d like the food nazi’s to spend more effort telling us what we ARE allowed to eat rather than tutting and frowning at us for eating all the ‘bad’ things

The report I heard on the radio didn’t have any “food nazis” tutting or frowning; only statistics which indicate that eating a lot of processed meat will reduce your life expectancy. It’s up to individuals whether they choose to adjust their eating habits as a result. Personally, I think it is a positive thing to have access to more information so I can make an informed decision about what I eat.

Forgive my ignorance (I am not a big red meat eater) but how is bacon any more processed than your average steak, smoked salmon, chicken fillet etc etc?

I thought bacon was just cured slices of pork loin (or pork belly in the US). Are they saying the curing process is bad for you?

When I think of processed meat I think of chicken nuggets, slices of processed ham, turkey roll etc etc.

The R4 report was pretty clear that it is processed meat that is the problem; i.e. where some sort of treatment process has been applied (e.g. smoked and cured meat, salami, chorizo, bacon, etc). Raw steak that has just been put through a mincer is not processed. There was an interesting question about whether processed fish (e.g smoked fish) might carry similar risks, but they don’t appear to have done the analysis on that so far.

Solo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE[/video]

mt
    Free Member

I thought that what killed you from picking your nose was when your head caved in.

I was sat eating while listening to Radio 4 this morning, I still finished the the black pudding, bacon and sausage, it really put me off my fried egg, almost. Thank the lord for ketchup.

binners

Ketchup? You wierdo. Its HP sauce with brekkie, surely?

ransos
    Free Member

What is it about processing that’s harmful? For example, I sometimes make a “pseudo chorizo” by adding paprika, garlic, red wine and a little salt to minced pork.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

@Mikey74
    Bacon is full of sulphites and many other “added ingredients” next time you are in the supermarket look at the difference on the use by date for bacon v’s sirloin steak for example.

except i don’t buy bacon from the supermarket, i buy it from the butcher. no preservatives as far as i know and it’s sliced to order. assuming everyone buys shit food from supermarkets is a more of the lazy journalism the bbc seems to be getting better at.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Coyote – The cured pork in Spain (done the traditional way, aka Med’ diet) is free range, the pigs run around forest eating chestnuts, and the fat is mono/poly so a “good” fat. If you get the cheap stuff from the supermarket its just as processed as bacon and the pigs are pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics.

Solo
    Free Member

I sometimes make a “pseudo chorizo” by adding paprika, garlic, red wine and a little salt to minced pork

Sounds painful. Doesn’t it sting afterwards ?.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What is it about processing that’s harmful?

if the bbc are to believed it’s the slicing, putting it in your mouth and chewing it.
    breathing has been proven to exacerbate the process due to exacerbate being a moderately big word.

johndoh
    Free Member

exacerbate

I once did that. My mum nearly caught me. Fortunately I distracted her because I was also picking my nose.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Coyote – The cured pork in Spain (done the traditional way, aka Med’ diet) is free range, the pigs run around cork forest eating chestnuts, and the fat is mono/poly so a “good” fat.

so only in britain do people eat the product of food facories?
    and all those battery hens are in fact having a thumpingly good time and not being affected by growth hormones at all?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean by that? Are you asking if processed food is for sale outside the UK?

Helios
    Free Member

i buy it from the butcher. no preservatives as far as i know and it’s sliced to order. assuming everyone buys shit food from supermarkets is a more of the lazy journalism the bbc seems to be getting better at.

The woman the BBC interviewed on breakfast TV this morning did half mention that it was different when you buy form the butchers. But then she went on to talk about how at the butchers bacon is “sliced off the pig” which conjured up an image of a pig standing patiently on the butchers block while a man in an apron took a knife out and carefully carved bits off it a slice at a time…

Solo
    Free Member

I once did that. My mum nearly caught me. Fortunately I distracted her because I was also picking my nose.

Thats as may be, but which do you prefer ?.

Solo
    Free Member

Does it include pie ?.

mt
    Free Member

binners. Ketchup with a full fried brecky, the colour sets of the sausage, black pudding and bacon better. Now if it had been a humble bacon buttie (or sausage) it has to be brown. I have gone of HP a bit since they moved production the Holland.
    And what’s wrong with being a weirdo? We can’t all be boringly normal.

BearBack
    Free Member

Its the nitrates in bacon that are the big problem. Also found in most packaged meats. When heated in the frying pan, they become carcinogenic and linked strongly to pancreatic cancer.

I can’t live without bacon but fortunately ‘no added nitrate’ bacon is available here that makes me feel better about eating the greatest food in the world.

Processed meat is likely cheaper meat with bi products as fillers, increased preservatives (like nitrates) and from antibiotic fed animals..horse is probably OK 😉

Solo
    Free Member

I can’t live without bacon

I saw what you did there !.

Priceless.
    😉

Travis

sh!t in, sh!t out.. what does your Meat eat?

mt
    Free Member

Many high stree and farm shop butchers us a bought in curing mixture, checking what they use is worth it before purchase.

BenjiM

You can also bet that not all high street butchers buy from the local farm. Many will use a wholesaler to get their meat from. As mentioned above with curing mixtures, those who make their own sausages might also buy in a ready made mixtures possibly containing various preservatives. I’m glad I’m in the cheese making business and not in the meat business. Only a few ingredients to worry about!

binners

If you’re going to that much trouble to source the provenience of everything that passes your lips, you may not live longer, but it’d certainly bloody feel like you had

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Processed Meat’ is closed to new replies.