Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Problems with Windows 10
  • Bustaspoke
    Free Member

The old laptop finally died last week,I think it ran XP.
    I’ve bought a new one that runs Windows 10 & I’ve found a problem with it.On Strava when you go to Flybys if you click on someone’s icon it won’t show what route they did,instead it re directs me to the BT Hub page.
    Likewise I needed to install some software to service my motorbike,I emailed them,they sent me a link & once again when I click it I get redirected to BT hUb. I installed this software on the previous laptop without any problems,I also had no problems with Strava on the previous laptop so I’m sure it’s something to do with the windows 10,anyone know what’s wrong?

Dickyboy

Think it’s the BT hub being a bit “needy” – at least that’s my experience with new hardware & our hub.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

One thing I’ve just found is that if the web address is http// it redirects to the BT hub & if you look in the left side of the address it says Not Secure.
    When I replaced http// with https// I could get to the required page,well I could for the software download.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sounds like you have connected to the wrong wifi network. Check what network you are actually connected to.
    As standard the BT Homehub creates a wifi hotspot, for other people to use. Probably named “BT wifi” or “BT Fon”. If you connect to that, it won’t work.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve checked the WiFi,it’s connected to the correct network.
    I’ve also swapped browsers,Chrome & Edge,same problem with both.
    I think it’s something to do with the Windows 10 security / permissions set-up.

IA

Some BT hubs will make new machines connecting go to a welcome page you need to click through then you can connect ok. It can be turned off in the hub settings.

Try clicking through or anything, or failing that post a picture / describe the page you see more.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks IA,I’ve just tried again & once again it diverts to the BT Hub page. I’ve just tried to click through it,the first thing that comes up is a box telling me to download my free Broadband help tool. I couldn’t download it,that may be a blessing as the IP address says not secure,however the page says that if you’re having trouble to log into your BT account & download from there. I think I’ll log into the BT account.What’s thrown me is that I never had any trouble with the old laptop & that’s why I think it’s something to do with Windows 10.

FuzzyWuzzy

Odd, I’m struggling to think what setting could cause HTTP traffic to just be redirected to your router. It’s possibly some security setting to prevent HTTP going externally but that’s a bit drastic and if it were an outbound firewall setting I’d just expect a connection failure not for it to go to the BT Hub’s web page (I guess it will be the default gateway but I still don’t understand why the traffic wouldn’t just be dropped rather than redirected). I’d say it’s more likely your BT Hub is to blame rather than Windows 10 but as you say it’s odd it only just started after you changed to Windows 10. Doesn’t sound like a DNS issue either

scotroutes

How inconvenient would it be to take the laptop to another location and connect to that network (preferably a non-BT one)? Might help to narrow down the fault.

tillydog
    Free Member

Our BT router has some sort of ‘family’ filter that you need to opt out of for any new device – maybe it’s that?

If so, there’s a ‘proceed without family filter’ or some such in very small writing with pale grey text on a cream background, just off the edge of the screen or something equally noticeable.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

How inconvenient would it be to take the laptop to another location and connect to that network (preferably a non-BT one)?

Colin, That’s what I’m planning on doing next

I just find it odd that with the new laptop it won’t go to unsecured
    address’s HTTP, only secured one’s HTTPS. It’s the same router.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Problem solved.Last week I went back to the Computer shop & told them what the problem was & got told,”It’s something to do with the last update in Windows,we’ve had a few people come in with the same problem”.As it’s just a bit of a inconvenience I decided to wait until Windows did its next update.Last night Windows updated & the problem’s now gone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Problems with Windows 10’ is closed to new replies.