Problems with my ring…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Problems with my ring…..
  • Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

I’ve got a bit of a problem with my ring. Not that one!

I’ve lost a bit of weight over the last 12 months (just over 2 stone) and my wedding ring now keeps falling off my finger at the slightest shake of my hand – it’s happened twice just today so far.

I can’t get it made smaller as it’s a tungsten one so what other options do I have to stop it flopping about all over the place. Divorce is one option I suppose but I’m not sure the lovely Mrs. P would go for that one.

Any other suggestions?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

can you have an inner ring added?

pies n cake

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Buy a smaller, identical looking new one?

Carbon paste

johndoh

Cable tie on the knuckle?

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Tight elastic band around the wrist

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Pies & cake are sounding like the best option so far 🙂

Not thought about getting an inner ring attached, not sure if it’s possible but may investigate that.

Might be able to get a smaller replacement if they’re still available but it has a certain emotional attachment so would really only want to try that as a last option.

I’m guessing that a shim would be similar to wwaswas’ suggestion unless you had a different idea?

Still looking like more cakes ATM.

EDIT: Like the carbon paste idea 🙂

Subscriber

almost posted an image that would have resulted in a ban

have this one instead

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

It’s a long term solution, but…….

Take up cricket. Become a wicketkeeper. You *will* break and dislocate fingers. When you do the mended bone comes back a little bit thicker than it was before. Eventually you’ll be ‘lucky’ and break the proximal phalanx of the ring finger on your left hand. And the ring will then fit lovely, once it’s healed.

1/ based on experience, don’t do this. It hurts, as does the ring block injection to get them reset, my fingers are crooked and unsightly, I have lack of movement in two of them and no grip strength.

2/ if you do do this, take the ring off before breaking it, otherwise you’ll need it cut off anyway when it swells up.

3/ seriously, don’t do it.

aweeshoe

Some thread wrapped around it is a good temporary measure and you can buy ring reducers for a few quid, but I think the best long term solution is pie and cake

You can get little bars or balls welded onto the inside of your ring, and they reduce the “effective” ? radius of the ring.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Get a chain and wear it around your neck?

Subscriber

it might be too big for his finger – but I doubt it’ll fit round his neck. What’s the chain for?

Premier Icon strangey13
    Subscriber

Cheap day to day ring and keep the other for wearing on special occasions, or wear one glove like Michael Jackson?

Subscriber

Excellent suggestions chaps, some genuine lolling here at some of them. Keep ’em coming.

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

You really want a soft metal ring, just in case you deglove your finger and want a medic to cut it off quick.

andyl

Finger ring?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber
    CountZero

I’ll ask my mate when we go for a beer tonight, he’s a goldsmith, has been for thirty-odd years, so knows about this sort of stuff. It might be possible to make up an inner ring that fits your finger, which encloses your tungsten one – tungsten is, IIRC, pretty tolerant of high temperatures, so soldering the ends of a shim once fitted should be ok, although it may be possible to make the shim slightly over wide, fit it inside, then fold the edges around the tungsten one. You’ll need a good goldsmith for this, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to find one. Whereabouts are you, OP?

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

Super glue.

stumpy01

Whatever you do, don’t put it off…

I have had the same problem with my palladium wedding ring. Kept meaning to get it reduced & ended up losing it on Christmas day….not found it since, so presume it is in a bag of wrapping paper on the way to a recycling centre somewhere :o(

Premier Icon northernsoul
    Subscriber

Freezer for half an hour?

CountZero

He’s never had to do anything like this, but my mate’s best suggestion would be to get a pure silver shim made up to the correct thickness, then have it epoxied unto the existing ring. Simplest solution, but you’ll need to find a good goldsmith to get the dimensions right.

markwsf

A friend of mine had this same issue – lost his in the water on their honeymoon – they actually managed to find it somehow.

He now has some small “balls” attached to the inside of the ring to make the effective diameter smaller – I guess similar to the “shim” approach. Seems to work for him.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Just glue it on with some gorilla glue.

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

Funny story… Same thing happened to me (my ring “was” a ceramic one, so couldn’t resize).

Went to the toilet one day, heard a “clink” after finishing up. Thought 10p had fell out of my pocket or something, so just flushed as there was no way I was sticking my hand in that!

Turned out to be my wedding ring. My missus didn’t stop laughing for about an hour and I still haven’t gotten around to replacing it!

fossy

I lost a ring because I’d lost weight. I don’t wear one now as I also lost the replacement – one is ‘somewhere’ in the garden. PS I’m still in the ‘bad books’ over 10 years later.

scruff9252

Is the width of the ring narrower than a large Staple? If so staplegun it to your finger

deadkenny

Get a chain and wear it around your neck?

And call it your precious.

Premier Icon fettlin
    Subscriber

THIS not funny, but it works.

Had precisely the same problem, tungsten ring. Bought some of the above and it did the job.
    Thankfully I’ve been on the pies and it’s no longer a problem.

Subscriber

Sorry for the slow response folks, been a bit busy elsewhere.

Thanks for asking your mate CountZero, I may consider that as a long term solution however I think fettlin has come up with the immediate answer. I’ve just ordered it and hopefully it’ll provide a cheap simple at least temporary solution to my slack ring.

Cheers folks!

hedley

I had this exact same issue which was resolved by losing the ring.

Problem solved.

toby

Splitpin through your finger? Keeps the washers on the throttle linkage of a Land Rover…

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Just thought, if it’s not out by much, could you build up the inside with a couple of layers of clear nail varnish maybe?

Tungsten ring? chuck it in the bin and get a proper one made of precious metal that can actually be cut off by a surgeon if you ever get a swollen finger. At least now the ring is too big you are at a lower risk of a de-gloving accident.

I dropped 3 ring sizes about a year after getting married due to giving up rock climbing when the 1st baby arrived. I didn’t want to get my platinum ring resized so I bought about 30cm of 0.8mm palladium wire and wrapped it around the ring to make it thicker on one side. This worked for a few months but eventually my finger got even skinnier and now just I wear it on a chain around my neck.

I would avoid gluing anything to the ring unless you fancy some nasty dermatitis.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Take up cricket. Become a wicketkeeper. You *will* break and dislocate fingers.

As I look at my misshaped knuckles and slightly bent fingers, I can 100% confirm this will work. I can also confirm that playing basketball will also have a similar effect. Do both to be sure.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

Options
    – Get a ring reducer, like a bit of soft plastic that attaches to it
    – wear it on a different finger (or round your neck)
    – wear a different ring in front of it to stop it falling off?
    – as above but with an O ring

Subscriber

Cheers for the nail varnish suggestion Cougar, not thought of that & just the other day I was wondering what to do with the bottle I’d got in the garage. Might take quite a few layers though as it’s very loose. In fact it came off when I took my gloves off this morning after my run!

Palladium wire might be worth a go too, thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Problems with my ring…..’ is closed to new replies.