Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Problems Going Tubeless – Old Holes Won’t Seal
  • witterings
    Free Member

Have been trying to convert a bike to tubeless, both the rims and the tyres are tubeless ready although it doesn’t seem to be the bead that’s causing a problem but where the tyre’s been punctured before.
    I didn’t think I’d ever had a really big puncture most of them were just small thorns but I just can’t seem to stop the old holes leaking … is this normal and are you best off using a new tyre when you try to convert to tubeless for the 1st time.

If I put less pressure in like 10 psi they’re not so bad and a “bigger hole” the leak seems to slow, I’ve tried leaving it like this overnight and turning the wheel so the solution gets into the holes but it won’t stop leaking and if I try and put more pressure in it’s like the partial seal breaks out.

The solution (Stan’s) seems really watery is this normal as well … just trying to figure out why it’s not working and sealing the holes … any help appreciated!!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Did you tip up the bottle of Stans when you poured it into the tyre to make sure all the latex bits get into the tyre? If not, you may just have some fluid in there without the bits that do the sealing.

If some of them are bigger than about 1.5-2mm though you’ll need to use a tubeless tyre repair bung to stop the air getting out.

hols2
    Free Member

are you best off using a new tyre

Absolutely. It’s just not worth the hassle trying to get old tyres to seal up.

Trimix
    Free Member

Stop messing about, just stick a tube in it, then go for a ride.

witterings
    Free Member

Did you tip up the bottle of Stans when you poured it into the tyre to make sure all the latex bits get into the tyre? If not, you may just have some fluid in there without the bits that do the sealing.

I gave it a really good shake …. didn’t realise there were any “bits” in the bottom to come out????

Absolutely. It’s just not worth the hassle trying to get old tyres to seal up.

Wish I’d known this before trying to do it.

DezB
    Free Member

Stop messing about, just stick a tube in it, buy new tyres, then go for a ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

Seems weird that thorn holes won’t seal. I never even notice them any more.

I often use old tyres on new tubeles set-ups, but usually only a year or three old.

drnosh
    Free Member

Got a thorn puncture yesterday, but did not know anything about it until I got back and found the back of the bike ‘peppered’ with Stans.

Stans is very thin, but this helps filling via the valve, and keeping it in contact with the tyre when rotating. There are little ‘gritty’ bits in the fluid, so you need to shake it first to get these bits into suspension.

I would try new tyre though.

philjunior
    Free Member

Have you tried riding it to see if that gets them to seal?

witterings
    Free Member

Have you tried riding it to see if that gets them to seal?

I was going to go home this evening, find a clear bowl and empty the rest of the sealant into it to see if there are “bits” in the bottom and if so add a bit more to each tyre and try riding it to see what happens …. just won’t go too far from home 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

When you say the wheel is tubeless ready, does that include proper rim tape? It’s not always the case.

When you pump up the tyre are you inflating it until it pings and sets on the bead? Usually around 50psi.

Once I inflate a tyre I usually bounce it around while spinning it. Then reduce air pressure to my preference.

BillOddie

Add glitter!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

stans should fill up smaller thorn holes no problem, i once went down a bridleway that had just had the hedges trimmed got home to 18 spikes in my tyres.
    pulled them all out one at a time while spinning the tyre, once complete inflated to 50 psi and left overnight, reduced pressure and rode again no issue..

my recent drophandle bikes tyre got a metal bolt through before converting to tubeless, i used a cheap innertube patch to the inside of the tyre left it to dry then setup tubeless and thats worked fine with orange sealant

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Problems Going Tubeless – Old Holes Won’t Seal’ is closed to new replies.