Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Problem with Garmin 820 text message notifications
  • swdan
    Free Member

Has anyone else had issues with your Garmin not displaying text message notifications and if you did, how do you fix it?

Calls are displaying but messages are not. I know it’s not a massive deal but I use it when commuting and it’s useful if the wife wants to send me a message about picking something up at the shops on my way back or a mate wants to let me know he’s running late for a ride meet up.
    I’ve had the problem before but fixed it by allowing the Garmin connect app permission to access messages, however I’ve checked and that’s still the case. I’ve also tried re-pairing the device and phone with a new Bluetooth connection but that’s not helped either.

Phone is a Moto g5+ running Android and I’m using the stock message app.

Any ideas?

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

My 520 Plus is very intermittent at connecting with my iPhone. Not sure if it’s the Garmin or the phone that is to blame but the bluetooth connection seems poor…..

coffeeking
    Free Member

All my notification problems come from the new android power saving settings that were set to automatically manage the app. It doesnt work, switch it to manual.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    swdan
    Free Member

Hmm, checked for any power saving and don’t have any enabled so it’s not that. As I say, call notifications work and I can respond to calls with one of the preset messages so it’s able to use the SMS capabilities of the phone, they just don’t show up when received

richardk
    Free Member

In Garmin Connect mobile app, check your device settings. I have an option on mine for alerts to be hidden during an activity, and for the alerts to be calls only, or all notifications.

I’m on iOS and a Forerunner watch, so it may be completely different for your setup…

antares
    Free Member

Open Garmin Connect, go to Settings, App Permissions and see if SMS is on. If not hit Manage and go to Permissions and turn SMS on

swdan
    Free Member

Garmin connect has all the permissions required, I’ve just double checked.
    Can’t see anything in there about hiding them during activity so don’t think the edge has that option, which makes sense as unlike a watch you only use it when doing an “activity”.
    This has got me stumped…

swdan
    Free Member

Right, time for an update (of the software variety).
    Updated the Garmin 820 software the other day and all the notifications work now, don’t know what the issue was but it’s all solved. I now get the all important messages about picking up spaghetti on my way home etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Problem with Garmin 820 text message notifications’ is closed to new replies.