Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Problem with Chrome Remote Desktop
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m curious about getting a Chromebook so have been looking into options to remotely access my Mac from it and came across Chrome Remote Desktop which looks like it would do the job.

I’ve installed it on the remote Mac but when I try and “Enable Remote Connections” I get an error “Failed to start remote access service”. I’ve spent a bit of time trying to troubleshoot but I know there are some people on here who might have had the same problem and have overcome it.

Any ideas?

thanks

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For anyone interested – and it seems no one is 😆 – I sorted this with the ubiquitous turn-it-off-and-on-again. Not sure why I didn’t try that first. D’oh!

sharkbait
    Free Member

We knew that – just wanted to let you figure it out for yourself 🙂

[currently typing this on my wonderful chromebook while also working on my office PC 110 miles away]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is the Chromebook good? I’m mighty tempted and now I know remote access works it’s one less objection since I can work on my iMac from the comfort of the sofa/garden. What model do you have and why did you choose it?

Stoner
    Free Member

did someone mention chromebooks? 😉

is it good?

Does the pope poo in a pointy hat?

find out yourself for just £150…
    http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/14874/Acer-Chromebook-Aspire-C720-2GB-16GB-SSD-11-6-inch/

I have two of these:
    http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/14406/Samsung-Chromebook-Series-3-11-6-LED-2GB-16GB-Netbook/
    one for me, one for mrs S.

SSD, 7s boot, light, slim, cheap.
    If it dies I buy another, log in, and all my stuff is just there. For <£200 even if they only last 2yrs they cost less than the depreciation on a Macbook or decent Windows laptop.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

any preference for one over the other?

Stoner
    Free Member

not really. they’re much of a muchness. The hardware isnt doing much heavy lifting so you dont need to stress over the numbers much.
    Id always pick an SSD though.

I have samsung and it’s fine (although Ive got a small crack near a hinge – from me trying to open it too wide due to angles on my table stand), my colleague has the next samsung up and again no issues.

The HP looks nice and contemporary though and as the latest one to be issued would probably be a good bet. Either way, morgan computers are first rate for refurb stock/as new stock etc. I prefer smaller form factors though so Id pick 11″ over 13″+

The pixl is silly priced and completely redundant though. Aimed at applefanbois I reckon 😉

SammyC
    Free Member

We’ve got the C720 and its brill!!!!!! Ok, you’re going to have a shock in terms of build quality when compared to the Mac, keyboard is a little flimsy and the screen has limited viewing angles but then its only £150 so what do you expect.

In terms of performance, I reckon it runs the browser at a similar speed of my 8 core work monster.

The only thing I haven’t worked out is how to access the F-keys when remote desktop-ing as the Chromebook doesn’t have F-keys?

Stoner
    Free Member

sammy try using the magnifying glass + number to emulate function keys.

i.e. magnifying glass + 4 produces F4 function, which in google sheets allows you to relative lock references.

it also works through RD too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The one thing that still puts me off Chromebook is the battery life. It’s still not really an all-day device. What life do you get Stoner/SAmmy?

enfht
    Free Member

Not convinced they’ve sorted their security model since that embarrassing disclosure regarding saved passwords.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not convinced they’ve sorted their security model

I’m already in the Google infrastructure so whether I have a Chromebook or not doesn’t make any difference in this regard, does it??

SammyC
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner, I could have googled that I’m sure but it only occurred to me last night! 🙂

Battery life is quite impressive really, get 7+ hours of use I reckon which included a couple of hours of video playing. Sure it may not compare to some laptops but then its a tenth of the price.

Stoner
    Free Member

I get 6-9 hours depending on what Im doing.

fuel enough for a day in London if I use my tablet on the train.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve taken the plunge and I’m picking up an Acer Chromebook today. Had a play with one last night and was quite impressed for something that only costs £180. Looking forward to delving deeper.

Stoner
    Free Member

must get apps:
    gmail offline
    chrome remote desktop (if you have any other computers you might want to connect to)
    any one of the scientific calculators

the rest are just deployed web apps so play as you go.

and if it interests you, get a chromecast for your TV and run google cast from the chromebook to stream to your tv.

Downsides
    no Skype (yet), but I use hangouts 99% of the time anyway

and explore ctrl+alt+? to find out what you can do with the keyboard.
    And learn to use the touchpad properly.

have fun.

ryderredman
    Free Member

The acer C720 is the preferred of the bunch, I have the series 3 and tbh its nice, but it is slow.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips.

When playing (in PC World) I was surprised by how nippy it was. I had several tabs open – including STW, natch – and I had no grumbles, even whilst streaming a HD YouTube vid at the same time.

I’ve already had a play with Chrome Remote Desktop from my work laptop to my iMac, so hoping that will work well from the Chromebook to my iMac too. I’ve got Apple TV and an iPhone so no real need for Chromecast.

As a convert to Google Docs and subscriber to Netflix and Spotify I reckon I’ll be quite happy, even though my heart wanted a Macbook Air 😆

The only negative I could throw at it was that it’s a bit bland and cheap looking compared to the more fun looking newer Chromebooks. It just looks like a mini work laptop.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got the latest HP14 and it’s great and a bargain at £250 – Fast, simple, looks good. Mrs Clubber loves it too which is a definite plus.

I’ve got the remote desktop on my two other (Windows) computers and it works perfectly on them so can’t really help the OP I’m afraid.

The only fly in the ointment I can think of is that we’ve found google docs a little awkward for some word documents where the formatting doesn’t work well between word and google docs – eg you edit in one and it doesn’t look the same in the other. Problem solved though with the latest Office online apps from Microsoft which don’t have this problem. No issues so far with spreadsheets though there’s also Excel online for that if necessary.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Fixed the original OP with a turn it off and on again

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Typing this on my iMac through Chrome Remote Desktop on my new Chromebook I picked up at lunch 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

I wonder if you can daisy chain RDP through multiple computers 😉

Have you timed your boot time yet? Mine’s about 7.5 seconds 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Funny you should say that. My iMac was logged into my work laptop via Remote Desktop and then I used Chrome Remote Desktop to log into my Mac 😆

Screen quality was a bit poo by the third hop!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

After a day with the Acer I’m still impressed, but it’s not perfect. A couple of questions/niggles:

1. Does anyone else find the headphone port a bit “noisy”, with too much fuzzing and buzzing? I can cope with the fact it’s a super-tight fit but the background noise and occasional drop-outs are a pain

2. The keys in the top centre of the keyboard are a bit hollow-sounding, particularly around 4, 5, 6.

Ta

Stoner
    Free Member

I have samsung so cant comment on hardware.

you have def seated the phono plug fully?

The keys in the top centre of the keyboard are a bit hollow-sounding, particularly around 4, 5, 6

I think Mr Jobs might have spoiled you with his £1,000 laptops 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

you’re probably right 😆

If I push the phono plug in any harder it’ll come out the other side

Stoner
    Free Member

If you can demonstrate poor audio performance at the shop, just take it back for a replacement. If you’re being picky because the phono cables arent soldered in with gold flake and arranged according to laylines for your delicate ears, dont listen to music on a £200 laptop 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

Does anyone else find the headphone port a bit “noisy”, with too much fuzzing and buzzing?

[fires up spotify and plugs in daughter #1 headphones] No

The keys in the top centre of the keyboard are a bit hollow-sounding, particularly around 4, 5, 6.

[1234567890-=] No

^ Stoner + [not hollow sounding]5

I bet the shop assistants love seeing you come back in two days after making a purchase 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Problem with Chrome Remote Desktop’ is closed to new replies.