Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Probably been done before but..Cars you sold for peanuts and value now.
  • slackalice
    Free Member

If, over the last 38 or so years, I hadn’t spunked as much money into cars and then even more by making them go and stop faster, I’d have probably spent much much more on coke and hookers.

I think there’s a positive in there, somewhere.

Vortexracing

Opel Manta 2.0 GTE

same here, one of the last exclusives in white, miss it soo much

205GTI 1.9 on an F plate

RS2000 in signal amber with vinyl roof and roll top Recaro’s 1978, sold for £2k !!!

1972 Mini Cooper, 1275, discs, 731 cam. first car, sold for £500

richmars

Lancia Delta Integrale, 8V, to a couple of guys from New Zealand. I think for About £5000, but it did need an engine rebuild. Priceless now.
    Rallye 106, for not very much. Nearly priceless now.

jimw
    Free Member

Another 1600 junior for me. Was very nearly mint condition when I sold it for £1500 in 1987 I sold another one in not quite so good nick but good useable condition for £4000 in 1994

As a what might have been……
    I Nearly bought a 1600GTA Stradale in virtually concours condition for £10k in the same year (’87). It seemed like a lot of money then ( well actually it was a lot of money then, roughly £25k now) Value now?

Very similar to this

Alfa Romeo 1600 GTA Stradale – RHD

bikebouy
    Free Member

Holy Mother of God, that is absolutely stunning…

No idea of the price, but worth every penny..

😯

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve had some bad luck with this:

1982 Mini sold for £2700 in 2002, probably worth £10k + now
    Series 1 106 Rallye crushed by the DVLA after a mixup – heaven knows how much now
    E30 M3 written off in Sheffield’s floods in 2007, £7.5k on insurance – worth circa £45k now maybe

Ah well

mellowyellow
    Free Member

Wow…
    Glad Its not just me then.
    Lionheart really steals it though.
    There are cars on his list people would literally trade body parts for now.

I will take the Cooper 970S and the RS1800 please.

970 S not many of those made, prob around 25 genuine ones left.
    Mk2 RS1800 Around 108 ever made, you really could name your price on one of those now.

mellowyellow
    Free Member

That Alfa on the Alfaholics site is thing of beauty, Why dont they make cars like that anymore.

mellowyellow
    Free Member

The one I didnt sell.

kerley
    Free Member

Mint 1978 RS200 Custom sold for £3000 in 1990
    Very nice TR6 sold for £5000 in 1992 (was worth around £20K a few years before but had a bit of a financial crash that scuppered that if you remember)

The point is that yes they would both be worth far more now but when I sold them they were only 12 and 20 years old whereas now they are almost 40 and 45 years old. A lot of difference in age and rarity from a 12 year old car to a 40 year old car I guess.

slowoldman

Rover 420 Tourer went for £30.
    Worth nowt now.

Waderider
    Free Member

The big question is what sort of society is this that we grossly overvalue shopping cars and outdated vans?! (Mind you I get performance cars and the like of the Alfa. But Fords?! You could get a few bikes for that……..)

Never sold a car in my life as I run them until they die.

fd3chris
    Free Member

68 big block Charger. 69 302 Stang fastback. Two 79 Trans Ams. 76 350/350 Camaro. All sold for less than 4 grand which I now don’t like to dwell on !

richardkennerley

Series 1 rs turbo, the only one officially sprayed mercury grey by ford. Sold for £4500 10 years or so ago because i was using it as an every day car and i knew it would’ve ended up knackered.

66deg
    Free Member

Vortexracing – Member

Opel Manta 2.0 GTE

same here, one of the last exclusives in white, miss it soo much

205GTI 1.9 on an F plate

RS2000 in signal amber with vinyl roof and roll top Recaro’s 1978, sold for £2k !!!

1972 Mini Cooper, 1275, discs, 731 cam. first car, sold for £500

Great cars makes up for your questionable taste in music, I suppose if you drive fast enough no one can hear Donny Osmond turned up to 11. 😀

Vortexracing

Maybe I should have mentioned that the music library Is the families, not just mine.

and that family has 3 girls/women in it 😯 🙄

and in those days it was roxettee and whitesnake 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

1976 T2 Camper

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Thing is, just about any car from 30 or more years ago ends up being valuable, just because most didn’t survive. But my.list of bangers sold would net a few quid now.
    Amongst others…
    Saab 96 v4 for 1500
    Mk1 transit camper for 400
    MK2 Golf for 50
    Volvo 244 for 450
    Renault 4 Gtl for 350
    VW camper for 1900
    MRII Mk1 for 900

Probably about 25k worth

mellowyellow
    Free Member

Thing is, just about any car from 30 or more years ago ends up being valuable

Not strictly true though. Some cars worth little in their day and still not. Cant see a Morris Marina even increasing in line with inflation. Too a lesser extent same could be said for a lot of cars.

spooked
    Free Member

Renault 11 turbo. Free. Great in a straight line and had corduroy seats!
    Astra GTE mk2. Free
    Mk1 Golf GTI sold it for £50
    Celica GT4 Carlos sainz. Sold for £550 recently because “we need the space” had it 14 years.

Of all the cars I miss. The Golf. Amazing car.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A Mk11 Cortina 1600E. Bought for £350 in 197?, sold for £400 in 198?. I shouldv’e known.

mellowyellow
    Free Member

Celica GT4 Carlos sainz.
    Thats a future classic if ever there was one.

mellowyellow
    Free Member

Anything with corduroy seats is a future classic in my book.

mboy
    Free Member

E30 M3, sold for £7k back in the early 2000’s….

…I don’t like to talk about it…

This was the “nearly” car for me… As in I so nearly bought a VGC H Plate E30 M3 EVO2 from Munich Legends in 2001, recently imported from Germany with very well documented history, albeit in a not so desirable colour, for £6500… Such examples now go for £35k+! Had it been an EVO3 in red or black (which would have been about £13k then), these are fetching near enough 6 figures FFS!

Still… At least I didn’t let my Ducati 748SP go right at the bottom of the market. I still have it, though its not turned a wheel in almost 10 years, but my Dad was pestering me to sell it about 3 years ago as its been in his garage a long time. Market bottomed at less than £2k for one needing a bit of TLC. Mine just needs new belts, a service, tyres and a bit of TLC (probably £1k conservatively), saw one similar low mileage to mine go last year for over £8k, and prices are on the climb since Massimo Tamburini died! 😀

Rallye 106, for not very much. Nearly priceless now.

Not priceless, but they are very collectible. Thought I did well in 2001 getting ride of my early 94 L plater with 45k on the clock for £2700, enabling me to replace it with a VGC late 309GTi and put £700 in my pocket at the same time… 106 Rallye’s were going for under £1k only 2 or 3 years later, so I was happy. Today, if you can find one, they’re fetching a song for sure! Still… The 309GTi was an awesome car too, and taught my (then) GF to drive in it too…

Andy-R

nullThe 1984 Mercedes 300GD that I sold a few years ago – ironically, the same few years after it had reached 25 years old and only cost me £10 a year to tax…..
    It needed new brake lines, new track rod and drag link etc etc plus a little bit of body work and, at the time, I convinced myself that I couldn’t be bothered to spend the time and money doing all that fettling.
    So, it sat around doing nothing for a year and then I sold it to a farmer, to carry sheep and bales of hay around in.

I’d owned it for about twelve years and, typically, only realised how much I liked it after it had gone. It’s still going – I recently passed the farm where it lives when I was out on a ride. I just had to ride in to the yard to say hello, even though the mate I was with thought I was mad.

But my wife had given it (her) a name – “Griselda”, and it had winched her car out of snowdrifts and pulled a van back up an icy bank (when the crap police Range Rover couldn’t even get within 100 metres of it) and all this sort of Good Stuff.
    When I think about it, it feels like I betrayed an old friend – shame on me, for being so shallow, slack and lazy.

Andy-R

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Probably been done before but..Cars you sold for peanuts and value now.’ is closed to new replies.