Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pro2 freehub service
  • granny_ring

Think mine needs looking at, when freewheeling it seems it seems to drag a bit.
    Had a look at the hope vid and they use a tool for reseating the freehub. Not got any hope hub tools so do I need to get one of these or can I get by using soething else?

TIA

nonk
    Free Member

you can get your fingers in behind the feehub to keep the pawls in place until they locate in the hub its fairly easy.

Taff
    Free Member

The only tools I think are worth while are the bearing drifts but you can make do without. With reseating I use a bit of string to tie around the pawls while you get them located enough to push the freehub back. Of you’re takin the freehub off then have a clean and inspection of the hub bearings too. Did you watch the hope vid with the guy who has a hub on its own?

granny_ring

Ok ta, they used the tool to tap the freehub back in place so thats what I’m wondering?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Pro 2 paws will stay in on there own unlike the older bulb and xc.
    The tool is just for seating the black seal into the the hub shell , you just need to use anything to push the seal home
    It Normaly clicks into place.

If you don’t seat the seal the hub body drags a lot

granny_ring

Yes that’s the one Taff.

granny_ring

Orangeboy, something that fits over the freehub as in the vid or what else?

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve used a big socket or a screwdriver in the past

mick_r

Have you pulled the freehub off yet to look inside? After just 9 months use I was rather surprised to find mine totally shot – needle bearing corroded and all the pawl springs broken. You might find yours needs more than a new bearing.

Pop it in a jiffybag back to Hope with a covering letter and their return form and a rebuilt (think I actually got a whole new freehub) one will usually reappear a few days later 🙂

Just needed a good tap with a piece of tube to get it to click the seat / “seal” back in place.

Seems like backwards progress – we’ve got a 17 year old Hope XC hub that has its original pawls, springs and needed just one set of freehub bearings…

Northwind

No special tools required- bearings all go in with sockets or other similiarly shaped objects, and the seal can be popped in easily by hand- at worst though you can chase it in with a blunt-edged pokey thing.

granny_ring

mick_r, no not had a look yet wanted to know what bits I need before taking a look. The wheels have hardly been used so was just hoping to grease/oil the springs etc to start with and see how that goes.
    Of course it might be worse than that but we’ll see….

What piece of tubing did you use to seat the seal back in place? Would rather try that than than chase in the seal.
    Would a piece of sink waste pipe fit over the freehub?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

i got that seal back in with my fingers. dead easy.

only tools you’ll ever need are the bearing drifts. I’m going to knock a few up at work soon.. they’ll be on par with the hubs themselves 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You don’t need tools unless you’re changing the bearings.

The seal will push back in with a flat edged blunt anything, spoon handle will do etc. the pawls and springs will hold in place on the body, use a dab of grease to hold them if need be and as you line up the free hub, rotate the body backwards as you press it on and you don’t need bits of string or anything else to hold the pawls in.

P20

I hadn’t realised it was the seal that was dragging until I’d stripped the hub for the fourth time. If I’d realised that, it would have been done in one.

granny_ring

Cheers guys, I’ll have a look soon. Where’s best place for pawls and springs, crc?

Dirk, cna you email me prices if you can knock up some spare drifts please ta.

P20, do you mean the seal wasn’t inplace properly or not greased?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

i got that seal back in with my fingers. dead easy

+1

I have the tool but didn’t need it

foxyrider
    Free Member
    P20

It just wanted seated correctly. Once pushed in, everything was ok

granny_ring

Nice one foxy cheers

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pro2 freehub service’ is closed to new replies.