Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pro-Rata’d holiday allowance…
  • tootallpaul

Clever folk of STW.

I’ve just handed in my notice in my current job, and I’m trying to work out how much holiday I can take at the end of my notice period.

I get 29 days a year.
    I have taken 2.5 days so far.
    I am leaving on the 26th April.
    Our holiday year is from the 1st January.

Any ideas, as I can’t work it out!

Ta,

(Mathematically challenged) Paul.

leffeboy

Ask your HR department.  There may for example be some benefit in using them to ‘extend’ your leaving date to to the end of April assuming you aren’t starting a new job the next day.  That’s where I would start at least.  It gets messy because often they are pro-rata to ‘working days’ rather than calendar days which means that you need to take into account which day the year started on and public holidays.

johndoh
    Free Member
    antigee

something like this helps – check country set is correct

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/workdays.html

tomhoward

My calculation gives you 9.2days, which i’d round up. So 7 left to take.

(29\365) x 116

That’s where I’d start. YMMV

convert

Google is a fine thing…

apart from that only works out statutory holiday and appears to have no ability to put in company/individual contract specific.

Does your 29 days include bank holiday days or are they there in addition? Are you full time and how many days in your working week?

wwaswas

Do you earn leave during your notice period?

tootallpaul

Cheers all.

HR will be consulted, but I am hoping for something like Tom’s calculation. As it’s Easter just before I leave, that will mean 2 weeks off! Yay!

Paul

tootallpaul

As far as I know leave is accrued when you work, notice period or not…

sharkey
    Free Member

HR dept or check your contract – I worked somewhere where the contract stated whole months. I think I started on the 2nd of the month and didn’t get that 1/12 of the holiday allowance

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yep, check your contract / ask HR. Usually done on full months only, and since you’re not going to work the entire month of April, you may only get hols for 3 months.

So (29/12) * 3 = 7.25 entitlement.

Drac

2.5 a month, 10 days until the end of April -2.5 means you have 7.5 left.

mrhoppy

89/260*29 gives you you’re accrued leave (approx 10 days) – 2.5 days taken means 7.5 left.

turin
    Free Member

Does the 29 include statutory holidays?

If so you will probably get less than the pro-rata calculation. likely have to remove the statutory ones from the total, then pro-rata them and if the statutory ones are rolled into the annual total you will only get them when they are due.

Its burnt me before 🙁

andylc
    Free Member

29 days presumably incl bank holidays. If you’re leaving on 26th April then there are 3 bank holidays to take into account, so you have actually had 5.5 days of holiday by the time you leave, unless you are working any of them. You will have worked 17 weeks of the year giving you 7/52 x 29 = 9.48 days by my reckoning, round up to 9.5 and take off 5.5 = 4 days.

IdleJon

Do you earn leave during your notice period?

Why wouldn’t you?

tootallpaul

29 not including statutory holidays I’m pleased to say…

andylc
    Free Member

I’m guessing you don’t work in statistics or maths then….🙄

tootallpaul

Andy. Nope. IT Security!

Useless at Maths.

🙂

andylc
    Free Member

I think my maths still works, if you take out the Bank Holidays. As for comments about part months, I have never done this for employees leaving and I can’t see it would be legal to only count whole months worked.

BigJohn

They will give you less than you think and there’s not a lot you can do.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pro-Rata’d holiday allowance…’ is closed to new replies.