Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Pro-cuts rally in London
  • tree-magnet
    Free Member

Well, I’m pretty sure my opinion on singletrack is going to be required to stand up in court, but your point is taken.

I would edit my post to say “imo” but it’s too late now. Either way, I’m inclined to think that some of the people who I’ve discussed this with are telling the truth. Either that or I have to accept that all of them were lieing, and I struggle with that.

I’m not moving any goal posts, my point remains. I believe that too many people are claiming/given benefits when they’re not needed. We need to address this with cuts. Please point out where I deviated from this stance.

it is no longer about your neighbour but all claimants now – as you dont get subtle do you

I’m very capable of “getting” subtle. I don’t get “missing the point entirely”. My original post was not about all claimants, and neither were my later ones. They were all about people that don’t need to claim, but do because it’s available and they can. My neighbours was an example. They chose not to work and to claim because they can. I used them as an example. Perhaps that was too subtle for you?

uplink
    Free Member

I’d still prefer to target cuts in benefits on the most wealthy first before starting on those with the lowest incomes

Junkyard
    Free Member

Either that or I have to accept that all of them were lieing, and I struggle with that.

it is one of those things everyone knows someone who knows someone who is cheating benefits. i am not saying they are all lairs it is just part of our folk mytholgy/urban legends.
    http://www.benefitfraud.org.uk/total-benefit-fraud/index.html
    the rest is my error you cited them as an example – i have just re read it 😳
    Sorry
    re benefits v tax avoidance

Tax evasion is around 3% of total tax liabilities, while benefit fraud accounts for 0.8% of total benefit expenditure.

£15 b v £ 1 billion
    avoidance will be higher I assume but legal.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I totally agree with you. 100%

However, the thread was about cuts. Not Tax avoidance. I’d agree with you on tax avoidance as well, but that would be a different thread.

Getting back on topic, £1 billion is still a lot of money to be wasting. And that’s just the fraud. What about those that claim that don’t need to? IMO (and it is just that) we pay more money out than we need to.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Taxpayers Alliance demonstration just looked like a very large bus queue :

I thought this one was more honest though, and possibly better attended :

PJM1974
    Free Member

So long as we stop spending the cost of a new aircraft carrier on a new NHS or HMRC computer system that’s redesigned within three months then it’s fine by me.

The biggest problem we have is the ever escalating cost of living, neither the Tories nor Labour seem willing to confront this particular issue.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The biggest problem we have is the ever escalating cost of living, neither the Tories nor Labour seem willing to confront this particular issue.

Ever escalating cost of living ? …….. you mean inflation ? You think the biggest problem confronting Britain right now is inflation ?

Well have a go organising a protest against inflation in that case. I bet you stand a fair chance of getting not much less than 350 people from all over Britain to attend.

PJM1974
    Free Member

So what’s your angle then Earnie?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

unemployment is the biggest economic issue I would say. debt is manageable and smaller than most other countries as is deficit – and the best way to tackle that is to go for growth – see germany and france for examples

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So what’s your angle then Earnie?

Earnie? Is that a dig ’cause you think I earn lots of money ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Apologies, no dig intended, just an innocent typo.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Pro-cuts rally in London’ is closed to new replies.