Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Pro-cuts rally in London
  • AdamW
    Free Member

Any of our resident right-wing people attending? If so, can you wear an STW tee-shirt so we can make you out?

Done by members of the TaxPayers Alliance, whom I understand live abroad and don’t pay tax anyways.

BBC Link

yossarian
    Free Member

Nail em up

Nail some sense into em

Junkyard
    Free Member

makes distasteful joke about an easy way to wipe out all of Thatchers children

yossarian
    Free Member

Laughs distastefully at the thought of Henley on Thames being empty and all of the local burglars having their best day since the countryside ‘alliance’ march

grum
    Free Member

RIch arseholes demanding more money for themselves and less for the sick, disabled, elderly etc – seems perfectly reasonable. 👿

Junkyard
    Free Member

easy there lefty this is what they want

Taxes have been rising but there has been very little improvement in the quality of schools, hospitals and transport provided by government. Most recently, British workers, employers, consumers, homeowners and pensioners have been hit by higher national insurance contributions, huge council tax increases, VAT hikes, and higher taxes on pension funds.

High taxes damage the British economy and our way of life is suffering as a result:economic growth is being stunted and tens of thousands of jobs are being lost to off-shoring as huge tax bills reduce incentives to work, invest and save and discourage entrepreneurship. In the long-run, higher taxes make us all poorer.

neatly missing why they are all rising due to the rampant arm of capitalism via banking going pear shaped. One would think that high taxes left us in the shit rather than unfettered capitalism.
    So remember the reason mulitnationals **** off abroad is due to taxation rather than greed or market forcs as the right like to term it. Remeber all you poor poor people just how much better it could be if we just let the rich get even richer as trickle down is a FACT and you are keeping yourself poor by moderatley taxing rich people

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

37.6 miles to Henley… bye!

smell_it
    Free Member

There was some fat knacker interviewed on the BBC news this morning who was at pains to point out that she was a student and still attending to show her support for the cuts. She unfortunately went on to point out the only cut she didn’t agree with was the rise in student fees, so really just the cuts that didn’t effect her, marvelous stuff.

Northwind

“Taxes have been rising but there has been very little improvement in the quality of <snip> hospitals <snip> provided by government.”

They can **** right off with that, modern medicine’s expensive, sure maybe waiting lists aren’t shorter or hospitals aren’t shinier but today hospitals keep people alive that would have died 10 years ago. There’s nothing a doctor can do that’s more expensive than saving a life, just think of all that medication! And the beds it takes up! My grandad got an extra 5 years, then in that 5 years other improvements got him another 5 years. But that screws up the balance sheets.

Not so long ago, someone with my hip injury would have had a half-hip replacement instantly- cheap, easy, crap. Limited physio costs because there’s not much point, and after 10 years of having a crap leg you need another cheap, easy, crap hip replacement with an even worse prognosis. Instead, I got keyholed and bolted and had a recuperation time that was far longer, took more surgery, more hospital bed time, about 10 times more physio, and more long-term care. But I’ve got a leg that works almost like normal and’ll last as long as the other one.

So anyone that says hospitals haven’t got better can shove it up their cock. Not a violent man but I’ll gladly take a hammer to their hips and see what they think about the NHS after.

midlifecrashes

Even with the cuts so far, we’re still borrowing vast sums just to tick over the bloated public sector and benefits bills. Government borrowing is deferred taxation, so should be exceptional, not commonplace. Not going to say I’m happy with the detail of every cut, but don’t see big rises in taxes as being ideal either.

miketually
    Free Member

About a hundred or so people turned up, apparently.

How many on the anti-cuts march again?

scaredypants

Around 350 people attended the event in Westminster, according to the Metropolitan Police.

Lol – still, at least the kettling was probably easy this time

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member

Even with the cuts so far, we’re still borrowing vast sums just to tick over the bloated public sector and benefits bills. Government borrowing is deferred taxation, so should be exceptional, not commonplace. Not going to say I’m happy with the detail of every cut, but don’t see big rises in taxes as being ideal either.

apart from none of this is true. Our public sector is similar or smaller than most similar countries remembering almost all healthcare is in the public sector unlike many countries. Our debt is not high, the deficit is not unaffordable and the cuts are now clearly holding the economy back.

Still – enjoy the idealogical dismantling of the public services won’t you.

Hospitals are clearly much improved for the extra money – no doubt at all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/13/uk-economy-germany-france-labour

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m far from rich (lowest 20% of income level) but even I can see that proposed cuts do not go nearly far enough. Reducing the deficit is not what’s needed, we need to eliminate it imediately and start to pay off some of the whopping debt we have.
    I’d start with the welfare and education budgets. Children should be taxed, not subsidised.

imnotverygood

It is funny how the news agenda works. A couple of hundred arrogant sociopathic no-hopers stage a protest & it gets reported by the BBC & mr saddo gets an interview on TV. I imagine that there must be loads of larger demonstrations going on every weekend throughout the country which you never otherwise hear of,

Pigface
    Free Member

Did the Met manage to kill anyone?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’d start with the welfare and education budgets. Children should be taxed, not subsidised

I think more education and better care in the community is needed tbh. Clearly we are letting some citizens down.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

RIch arseholes demanding more money for themselves and less for the sick, disabled, elderly etc – seems perfectly reasonable.

Ok, I’ll bite.

How about we cut the social help that isn’t required? We (as a nation) subsidize a lot of the population that doesn’t need it. I don’t want to see hospital or any cuts that effect those at the poorer end of the scale, but theres a lot of people receiving benefits that are used as ciggy/holiday/booze money.

Take my next door neighbors. Both claiming incapacity benefit, just had a downstairs bathroom fitted in their 3 bedroom semi council house as they “can’t get up the stairs sometimes”. Mind you, how you climb on a shed roof or put up tepees with a bad back I’m unsure.

Either way, a lot of money is wasted on people who really don’t need it. Lets cut that for a start. Perhaps benefits need to get more personal. Not a “Got problem a, claim amount b”, but more means tested.

yossarian
    Free Member

Did the Met manage to kill anyone?

I think they’ll probably wait to see if anyone reports them first.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Around 350 people attended the event in Westminster

I’ve seen better attended stag and hen do’s in the West End. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

whilst a minority of beneift claimants may do as you claim it is but nothing compared to legal tax avoidance by the ubber wealthy.

Pigface
    Free Member

We could save a chunk of cash by not getting involved in all these wars, oh thats right we are not at war with Libya.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So, is the fact that the anti-cuts demo was attended by nearly a thousand times more people an indication that the vast majority of British people don’t want such drastic cuts to take place?

I’d say it is.

uplink
    Free Member

Either way, a lot of money is wasted on people who really don’t need it.

100% agree

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/24/rbs-bankers-bonuses-despite-loss

andrewh
    Free Member

Someone in the next village to me uses her tax-credits to pay her cleaner and someone to do her ironing.
    Of course it’s really us paying for it.

Why ischild beneift is available to all millionaires? Also the ‘average’ child has cost the taxpayer £138,000 by the time they reach 16. Why should we all pay for the mistakes of those who can’t learn to keep their trousers up? And pay for it we will, overpopulation is the elephant in the room for global warming, food shortages, water shortages, etc, etc. Why are we subsidising people to have children using money we don’t have?!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

whilst a minority of beneift claimants may do as you claim it is but nothing compared to legal tax avoidance by the ubber wealthy.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t address this. Of course we should. However, that doesn’t mean my point in’t valid.

Also, how do you know this is a minority of benefit claimants? I know it’s quite common round my way. In fact, I’m entitled to claim money, yet don’t as it’s not required.

uplink
    Free Member

I know it’s quite common round my way.

how do you know?

yossarian
    Free Member

Have you shopped your neighbours?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Also the ‘average’ child has cost the taxpayer £138,000 by the time they reach 16.

Reference please
    Will you be paying back what you cost us all so far to prove you are not a hypocrit?

Why should we all pay for the mistakes of those who can’t learn to keep their trousers up?

you propose to do what exactly? sterlisation? let them starve? What is your solution?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

how do you know?

Erm, because I talk to people…

Have you shopped your neighbours?

Yes. Nothing’s happened yet.

allthepies
    Free Member

Why ischild beneift is available to all millionaires?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11464300

Markie
    Free Member

Why is child benefit available to all millionaires?

Because it is thought (and possibly research has shown?) that having universal benefits helps keep onside those whose taxes pay for the benefits. Take away universality and people start wanting their taxes ring-fenced to pay only for those services which benefit either the nation as a whole (defense, policing) or for those benefits to which they are entitled.

uplink
    Free Member

Erm, because I talk to people…

I once told my – curtain twitcher – neighbour I was small time drug dealer

Junkyard
    Free Member

how do you know this is a minority of benefit claimants?

the majority of benefit claimants dont claim incapacity benefit is the main reason for knowing.

I know it’s quite common round my way.

Yes nothing as powerful as folk talking in pubs perhaps you could tell someoen about your detailed knowledge?

In fact, I’m entitled to claim money, yet don’t as it’s not required.

Thanks.
    EDIT: IIRC the cost of making child benefit means tested was greater than any potential saving. Better computer systems may help alievate this but I doubt it.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I once told my – curtain twitcher – neighbour I was small time drug dealer

That’s nice for you, but not relevant to my post.

uplink
    Free Member

That’s nice for you, but not relevant to my post.

Maybe not, but – like you – he believed what people told him

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Getting back on topic, whilst completely ignoring the fairly successful manoeuvre by Tory cheerleaders to overcome their acute embarrassment :

Elfinsafety – Member

Around 350 people attended the event in Westminster

“I’ve seen better attended stag and hen do’s in the West End”.

According to the Telegraph, quote :

“People had travelled from across the UK to be at the demonstration.”

So that’s 350 people from all over the UK then ………. impressive or what, eh ?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

how do you know this is a minority of benefit claimants?

the majority of benefit claimants dont claim incapacity benefit is the main reason for knowing.

You don’t have to be claiming incapacity benefit to be in a position of not needing the other benefits that are claimed. Let me reiterate one of my original points. I am in no way stating that benefits should be cut for people that need them to survive. But where they are used to suplement someones lifestyle, or pay for a lifestyle that doesn’t involve contributing to society via work (and once again, not those that can’t, but those that won’t) then we need to start looking at where we’re overpaying.

Yes nothing as powerful as folk talking in pubs perhaps you could tell someoen about your detailed knowledge?

I’m not sure I get your point. Could you rephrase? Certainly, I mentioned nothing about pubs.

Thanks.

You’re welcome, but I fear I’m in the minority.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Maybe not, but – like you – he believed what people told him

I know the people that said it. You don’t. I’m in a better position to judge who’s lieing and who’s not.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what people tell you is hearsay it is not evidence. This is both my point and up links point sorry we were too subtle.
    You are now trying to move the goal post – change you argument to a similair but different point [ it is no longer about your neighbour but all claimants now – as you dont get subtle do you]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Pro-cuts rally in London’ is closed to new replies.