Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)
  • Privateer 161 pre order. ooh don’t tempt me
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Couple of really nice builds there, they look great . Needs more rawness though!

mudfish

I vote for Geometron. Tried and tested. Excellent support plus Mr Porter’s design skills. Has garnered a very keen following.
    Yeah it’s more expensive but it’s European made German Engineering.
    Nicolai have an incredibly local following.
    Proper balanced geometry and now the EXT super shock
    Try one.
    I did in Aug 2015 and haven’t looked back. My riding is still improving, love it.
    I’m now on my third. (No need but – First update 2nd G16 with longer chainstays, next a G1 – even longer)
    I’d encourage you to have a go.

Dark-Side

I vote for Geometron. Tried and tested. Excellent support plus Mr Porter’s design skills. Has garnered a very keen following.
    Yeah it’s more expensive but it’s European made German Engineering.
    Nicolai have an incredibly local following.
    Proper balanced geometry and now the EXT super shock
    Try one.
    I did in Aug 2015 and haven’t looked back. My riding is still improving, love it.
    I’m now on my third. (No need but – First update 2nd G16 with longer chainstays, next a G1 – even longer)
    I’d encourage you to have a go.

I have just received my Geometron but it was a tough call between the G1 and the Privateer, there is almost £3k difference between the XT build G1 and the Privateer build!

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah, Geometron is a world apart price wise!
    Those that have taken delivery -how are you finding the rear end suppleness? The Enduro review mentions it gets very progressive quite quickly, but that the production bikes come with a lighter tune, and that’s one of the things putting me off, especially as a pretty light rider who’s had trouble getting suspension to work well for him in the past.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Well, my bike has Airdrop has been dismantled and currently sat on Pinkbike #stealthadvert so will be putting in an order for a raw P3 when a few more bits have sold – looks like I’ve missed the boat and will be waiting until September though!

mashr

Loving that the Geometron is so good that it’s taken 3 attempts (so far) to get right 😉

beer247
    Free Member

I’ve had a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Pro for the last 12 months and the S3 size is just a tad too small at 6ft 2.

Privateer was on my list – P4 size

Just worried the wheelbase will be ridiculous!

beer247
    Free Member

Also, the SWAT box is hard to give up!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What length dropper are people using?  Size p3 frame

SirHC

P3 size here as well. 210mm OneUp, saddle height is 31 inches from the centre of the bb to the seat rails.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I am hoping my P3 raw frame is here this week. Budget build nothing fancy. Left over parts.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@Sir HC cheers,  are you using the full 210 with the post slammed in the frame? Just wondering If my existing 180 is fine

SirHC

I have 90mm of post exposed (from the top of the collar to the seat clamp).

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Oh wow ok. 210 it is!

mrmoofo

I was was nearly sold but …
    Reach is fine, says how it will feel when stood up. But the 80 degrees seat post means that the ETT measurement is 60mm shorter that my Cotic flaremax. Which means it will be very cramped.

They look great, they sound like they have done their research – but I just don’t understand when the “ short” TT ( and I realise it is linked into the seat angle but ….)

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’m still very tempted to put my name down for a full build but not sure I want to be stuck riding my hardtail until Sept (already sold my Airdrop).

It’s a toss up between the waiting for the 161 or getting a Radon Swoop 170 – very similar geo and price but the Radon has a slightly slacker seat angle and better spec (36/x2/x01)

Geometry Geeks

Anyone received a full bike from Privateer yet that can talk me into waiting?

SirHC

The geometry geeks is a good start for comparison, however it is very dependant on the accuracy and the method of which the measurements are made (e.g toptube length and effective seat angle).

Privateer has a 76 degree actual seat tube, you stay closer to the bars as the saddle height changes, unlike something with 71-73.

This is the first bike I’ve not slammed the saddle all the way forward, I can slide my saddle 10mm further rearward and the Phenom saddle I have has a shorter overhang than most.

Its a well build frame, very tidy welds, good hardware, comes with a top shock, excellent cable routing and excellent geometry for a fraction of the price of its counterparts. Do have to ask the question what the big boys are playing at…

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

I’ve had the invoice for the final balance on my complete bike. Getting excited! Anyone else got theirs? Does anyone know what weight their 161 build comes in at?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Been mening to post here. How are people getting on with their shred sleds? (apologies)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I may have seen the prototype shorter travel (141?) and I may have had a tiny go on it. If the 161s prove sound I think I could be very tempted by the shorter travel bike.  Very, very tempted

proutster
    Free Member

Any idea when the 141 “may” be released? Any idea if it “may” have a 150mm fork?

BillOddie

I’ve had the invoice for the final balance on my complete bike. Getting excited! Anyone else got theirs? Does anyone know what weight their 161 build comes in at?

From https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-privateer-161-an-affordable-ish-race-ready-machine.html

As shown, the Privateer weighs in at 35.2 pounds without pedals, and the frame with shock weighs 9.8 pounds. Keep in mind that that weight is with EXO+ casing tires – toss on some heavier DH rubber and you’re looking at a bike that’s pushing 37 pounds. Weight matters more to some riders than others, but it’s worth noting that the 161 is on the heavier side of the spectrum. Even if you threw all sorts of lighter weight (and more expensive) carbon parts on it it would still be a challenge to get it below 33 pounds; something to consider if the numbers on a scale are important to you.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

He’s been!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/HDoHXFEPvNMZPyCp6
    Delivered to workplace on Friday after a slight bit of hassle with DPD (it was due on Thursday but for some reason they didn’t have it on the van, I think it got sent to the wrong depot)
    I can’t drive at the moment due to health issues so I took the bus in to work in anticipation of riding the new toy back home, not what I’d normally do with a new bike as I like to get the most vulnerable areas taped up, cable and hose lengths corrected and everything set up as best I can before taking to the trails, but needs must.
    So, I unboxed her, fitted the front wheel, some pedals and the handlebars.
    It was supplied with no air in the tyres and the sealant still in pouches… fortunately the tyres must have already been seated as I was able to squirt the unicorn milk in through the valves and then pump them up with my mini-pump (I forgot to bring a presta adaptor so I could use the compressor at work)
    I also moved the shifter and dropper remote inboard of the brake levers.
    And that was about it really… everything else was set at a good starting point and I’m lucky enough to have lots of F.O.D offpiste trails between work and home so I hit a few tracks around Pillowell and Mallards pike on the way back.
    First impressions: This thing could smash it’s way through anything!
    Very stable, secure and planted feeling.
    It’s definitely no lightweight, but I don’t see that as an issue with the intended use.
    The tyres (wild enduro) are a bit draggy so perhaps I’ll change the rear for something faster rolling at some point.
    It isn’t sprightly uphill, but it’s very comfortable on steep climbs – I love the steep seattube angle and any worries that I had that it may be too steep very quickly dissappeared.
    I was also unsure about sizing being on the border of p3/p4 at 6’2″. I went p4 due to short legs/long body and don’t regret it at all.
    It’s probably the wrong bike for a lot of the local stuff, (I was well aware of this before purchase) but when Wales is open again it’s going to be fun in the valleys off piste trails for sure.
    If you want a great value, hard hitting endu-r-e-o speedwagon for steep, fast and rough tracks (see what I did there… sorry!) then I think the 161 is a fine choice
    I’m going to take it out for another blast later and have a play with a few different settings and bar heights.
    Has anyone else got their’s yet? How are you getting on with it?

mrmoofo

I have to admit i was very tempted – it ticks a lot of boxes but … whilst the reach is kind of std for LLS bikes, the top tube is very short ( it works out as 6 or so cms shorter than my FlareMax). Obviously it is because of the seat tube angle. But unless I am honking up a bit of hill, or coming down a twitchy bit, I tend to sit in the saddle.
    Being tall, but short legged, long top tubes work well.

Reach is a kind of arbitrary measure perpendicular to the BB. Sure, it’s a measurement point but I have no idea why it is considered important. So basically the 161 seems to have along reach yet a short top tube. Can’t see that being fun on an all day ride

mashr

Reach is a kind of arbitrary measure perpendicular to the BB. Sure, it’s a measurement point but I have no idea why it is considered important.

Because ETT tells you nothing about how a bike will handle/fit when descending, which is what all these LLS bikes are primarily designed for

chiefgrooveguru

“But unless I am honking up a bit of hill, or coming down a twitchy bit, I tend to sit in the saddle.”

Do you really do all but your most tech descending sitting down?!!

mrmoofo

“But unless I am honking up a bit of hill, or coming down a twitchy bit, I tend to sit in the saddle.”

Do you really do all but your most tech descending sitting down?!!

Okay – maybe I am doing it wrong – but yeah – when I can sit , I sit… when I need to be out of the pedals to throw the bike about a bit, get extra power then I stand …
    But I do not ride 20% in the saddle and 80% standing, probably more like the other way. That is why, for me top tube matters …

mashr

ut I do not ride 20% in the saddle and 80% standing

Nobody does. You’ll always spend far more time in the saddle unless you are using some kind of uplift. However, as mentioned before such bikes still have a heavy slant towards downhill performance with the other aspects manageable rather than optimised. Sounds like you’re really not the target market tbf

honourablegeorge

You’re comparing to the FlareMax, which I’d say has an unusually long ETT, because it’s a bike which has long reach, but doesn’t have the step seat angle to match- it’s still only 75.

Seat angle is always going to dictate the difference between ETT and reach. My large G1 has the same reach as the S4 Privateer, but the seat angle is a degree slacker, so there’s about a 10mm differnce in ETT. Certainly don’t find the G1 at all uncomfortable for long days.

stwhannah

My partner has been throwing his around at trails across the USA, including Angelfire and Eureka Springs, both of which are sufficiently huge and gnarly that my nerves are frayed. He has it set up with an EXT Storia shock. @Fahzure on Instagram if you want to see pics. He’s also got a G1, so his 161 is set up to be a bit more nimble and jumpy, and his G1 is a bit more DH focussed.

If you’re on this thread because you’ve had a new bike day recently, maybe you’d like to consider this:
    <div>https://worldbicyclereliefuk.charitycheckout.co.uk/cf/singletrack-supporting-world-bicycle-relief</div>
    <div></div>

mrmoofo

You’re comparing to the FlareMax, which I’d say has an unusually long ETT, because it’s a bike which has long reach, but doesn’t have the step seat angle to match- it’s still only 75.

Seat angle is always going to dictate the difference between ETT and reach. My large G1 has the same reach as the S4 Privateer, but the seat angle is a degree slacker, so there’s about a 10mm differnce in ETT. Certainly don’t find the G1 at all uncomfortable for long days

Indeed, I am probably not Mr Enduro / Gnar … but unless you are going to sit , then there is no point in having a steep seat angle. And steep seat angle means short real top tube. TBH reach is not the be all and end all that the industry makes it out to be ../

mashr

TBH reach is not the be all and end all that the industry makes it out to be ../

Nobody is saying it is. However it’s an important figure that was missed from geometry charts for a long time and is very relevant to those that enjoy a lot of winch and plummet riding. No single geometry number gives you the full story

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Any more build pictures?

SirHC

View this post on Instagram

Matching socks! @privateerbikes #privateerbikes

A post shared by @ __sir_hc_ on

Swapped out the Rockshox for Fox and drivetrain needed replacing, so swapped for Shimano XTR. Was finding the Super Deluxe to feel a bit wooden and couldn’t get it how I wanted it to feel, always felt like it was over damped. X2 is a massive improvement, would like to try a coil on it at some point, but dont really want the faff of swapping springs in and out!

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Black frames are awesome. I built up a raw P3 but maybe going again with black.

nickc

@Sir HC that really is a really good looking bike. You must be well chuffed with how that’s turned out.

honourablegeorge

You must be doing some miles if you’ve worn out a drivetrain on a Privateer already

SirHC

@Sir HC that really is a really good looking bike. You must be well chuffed with how that’s turned out.

Pleased with it for sure! Its taken considerably shorter to get right than my old enduro which took 18 months of fork swaps, killing a couple of STX shocks and a frame warranty. Was a bit of a learning experience, albeit an expensive!

You must be doing some miles if you’ve worn out a drivetrain on a Privateer already

Drivetrain was off the enduro, so was already at the end of its life. Currently 765miles and 125,000ft. Off to France in a couple of weeks, so that will double and will get the shock and forks dialled in a bit more.

fingerbang
    Free Member

They’re really nice looking bikes imho. Just look super aggressive-progressive

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@SirHC is that a 2020 X2? looks very good that build, my frame is scheduled for 1st week in september… woop!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.