Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Private plates
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Private plate are the height of cringe imo. Unless it’s something ruthlessly succinct. My old boss had one something like T G. His initials. Which was cool.

To each there own though, so crack on.

ElShalimo

TO 22 BAG

desperatebicycle

I’m not a fan of them. Would never have one… but, I parked behind this the other day and had to send my son a pic. You’d either know, or you wouldn’t 😀

maccruiskeen

What’s your business OP?

The forum name ‘Bedmaker’ suggests CH4M83R M41D 🙂

temudgin

BO22 HOG

edit

damn its Hogg not Hog

temudgin

BJ2 2UCK

scaredypants

BU22ING

OP is a drug dealer or lovehoney exec

Mister-P
    Free Member

To each there own though

If you decide to get a vanity plate make sure you get someone to check the spelling.

Onzadog
    Free Member

YE71 MTB
    Wonder if their home insurer knows that’s parked outside the garage.

Sandwich

MO16RIP

16 year old Mo has died?

CountZero

Private plate are the height of cringe imo.

But so what? Why do people care so damned much about what others do with their own money? Much the same as those who start clutching their pearls and having a fit of the vapours as soon as the subject of tattoos comes up.
    Honestly, it’s not scaring your pets, keeping you awake all night, making the neighbourhood smell, or any of a number of irritating or otherwise obnoxious antics, so I really don’t understand why it makes people so huffy.

jambourgie
    Free Member

TiRed

ZZ22BED
    GO22BED
    MY22VAN

northernmatt

The ones I just don’t quite understand are the ones generally attached to a BMW X5 or X6 that are along the lines of X5 ROB or X6 DAZ.

Thanks for pointing out exactly what your pointless **** monstrosity of a car is I’d never have guessed you complete **** waste of skin.

Those and the ones that someone has clearly spent a couple of hundred quid on but that could only ever make sense if you were 10 pints deep and squinting.

tillydog
    Free Member

The ones I just don’t quite understand are the ones generally attached to a BMW X5 or X6…

May have been posted before (nsfw):

MoreCashThanDash

I really don’t understand why it makes people so huffy.

Does seem to be disproportionate reactions on the subject. I regret not getting the plate with my surname when it was launched, would have been £250. Would have made me smile every time I saw it.

kerley
    Free Member

But so what? Why do people care so damned much about what others do with their own money?

They help forewarn me that the driver is going to be a dick so they serve a purpose. I don’t however care about it or whatever money they may have.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If it’s also one of those 3D plates it is confirmation that the owner is a weapons grade throbber.

matt_outandabout

MA22OUT while we’re on forum plates…

5plusn8
    Free Member

But so what? Why do people care so damned much about what others do with their own money?

The OP seemed to court opinions. Isn’t that the purpose of this place?

silverneedle
    Free Member

Saw a yellow seat with W7NKR the other day . W77NKR is still available for you.

thepurist

The OP seemed to court opinions. Isn’t that the purpose of this place?

Only if the opinion you court aligns with the group-think.

v7fmp

NE14 ABJ?

I have a private plate, so does my wife… please dont burn me at the stake!

Caveat – they mean something to us, arent spaced incorrectly and there isnt a use of multiple fixing bolts to try and make it say something it doesnt.

Anything that ends in BED would get my vote. Dont worry about the first few letters/numbers.

Thats assuming your forum name is relative to your business!

smiffy

I can spell my company’s name on a plate in both Welsh (perfectly) and English (very nearly), so the taxman bought me some plates but you’d never tell unless you already knew.

TiRed
    poly
    Free Member

Except it isn’t really, that’s why I’m looking specifically at 22 plates for £399.
    These plates are cheap now because only new vehicles can display them. When I wind up business ten years from now, the plate can be sold at a decent profit,

Interesting I had never considered that the release of new plates and the rules on putting them on old cars created an investment market. Would still need to be very “clever” to pick a plate that works for 22 and will have demand in 10 years time and no significant competition. I do wonder if you’d actually get a better return sticking 399 in your pension (with the tax benefits of doing so) for 10 yrs, rather than 399 + the transfer cost every time you change your vehicle, and then selling it on in the future. I can imagine some future government might clamp down on these being bought as a business expense which could really ruin the market. If the money is going to DVLA its just moved from one dept to another so perhaps doesn’t worry government as a “tax on the vain” but if you but a plate for £399 and sell it for £3000 – gov get none of that and its probably going through someone’s books so reducing tax income.

I can spell my company’s name on a plate in both Welsh (perfectly) and English (very nearly), so the taxman bought me some plates but you’d never tell unless you already knew.

This has always puzzled me. A plate costs £400. If it’s a business expense, it reduces your profit by 400. That means you pay less tax, but not 400 less – perhaps 160 less tax? So HMRC didn’t buy you a plate, and yet nobody would know its special so why splash £240 on a plate?

YE71 MTB

No different to having a bike carrier on your roof really is it? In fact I suspect if you asked the average thief they’d say the bike carrier is far more obvious, gives an idea how many bikes etc. Whereas MTB could be someone’s initials, random letters etc.

desperatebicycle

Not a personal reg plate, but followed a Skoda taxi this morning with the taxi number 666. No way I’d be getting in that 😛

desperatebicycle

Wonder if their home insurer

Blah blah. Maybe he keeps his Yeti next to his bed. I reckon I could put a sign saying “There are mountain bikes in here!” on my garage, it still wouldn’t get broken in to.

MoreCashThanDash

They help forewarn me that the driver is going to be a dick so they serve a purpose.

That statement probably says more about you than the driver with the vanity plate.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I quite like them when they spell something obvious or are consecutive numbers in a fleet of trucks – often those are local companies who really take pride in their vehicles and keep the same set of plates for decades.

It’s a bit of harmless fun, people who assume that the owners are idiots need to take a look at themselves.

johndoh
    Free Member

I could be the richest person in the world and I’d never get one.

You wouldn’t have to – people only get them to hide the true age of their car and if you were that rich you could simply get a new car every time a new plate comes out.

squirrelking
    Free Member

people only get them to hide the true age of their car

Do they? Cheaper to just buy from NI.

Onzadog
    Free Member

YE71 MTB

I didn’t 3xp3c5 anyone to take the comment too seriously, but I did forget the winky face so I guess it’s on me.

Having said that, insurance companies have been known to try anything and everything to avoid paying out.

Wasn’t there a woman a few years back who was refused a payout for vandalism due to religious slogans on her car?

iainc

people only get them to hide the true age of their car

not so sure about that, we have one on my wife’s car, it spells her name and we quite like it. She changes her car for a new one every 3 or 4 years and the plate has now been on at least 4 of her cars

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I also don’t get why some folks get so worked up about others spending their money on private plates.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Indeed. I think they’re naff but then I think the same thing about white cars, SUV’s, hot tubs, Apple products, gravel bikes and a million other things that have (mostly)zero impact on my life.

Choice is a nice thing.

IdleJon

YE71 MTB

There is a large house near the local trails where several cars have plates that end ***MTB. As far as we know, none of the inhabitants are MTBers. Which is sad, because they live about 200m from some great trails. I wonder if they get broken into by thieves looking for their bikes.

On the other side of the woods is a large house with about 6 cars all with plates ending HUW. I’m guessing that everyone in the house is called Huw, or Huw lives on his own and is very greedy about collecting number plates. 😀

dirkpitt74

I’ve just got a private plate – nothing tacky, just mine & the Wife’s initials.

Just been looking and ‘MTB’ prefix plates seem cheap as chips – £170 on Regtransfers.

I did find my ‘ultimate’ plate, but it was £36.5k….. I’d previously seen it about 25 years ago and it was £5k then lol

Mister-P
    Free Member

In 15+ years of commuting by bike the only driver to threaten to kill me had a personal plate. That’s enough evidence for me thank you.

kerley
    Free Member

That statement probably says more about you than the driver with the vanity plate.

Yeah probably. What is your dream private plate?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Private plates’ is closed to new replies.