Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,063 total)
  • Private ownership of firearms
  • donsimon
    Free Member

so the family has lawyered up and suing.

I don’t see a problem with this. If the police have followed procedure the victim’s family are just throwing money away, if the police haven’t followed correct procedures, they need to understand that they’re not above the law. Put some faith in the law.

v8ninety

Hmmm. It’s good practice to lock ammo up separately, but I don’t think it’s a ‘legal’ requirement. I don’t think that it even has to be locked away, legally. (not sure on that last bit, pretty sure on the first bit, and I’m talking shotgun cartridges, have no working knowledge of other firearms)

busydog
    Free Member

I don’t see a problem with this. If the police have followed procedure the victim’s family are just throwing money away, if the police haven’t followed correct procedures, they need to understand that they’re not above the law. Put some faith in the law.

Totally agree—the investigation by a police affairs team exonerated the officer that did the tasering, but the family will try to sue anyway, hoping for a sympathetic jury I suppose. We had another case where a couple of police were subduing a carjacking suspect and got caught by a security camera giving the guy a couple extra kicks to the crotch and both got fired and face charges.
    I don’t know about there in the UK, but here it has become a very litiginous enivornment (i.e. suing McDonalds because their coffee is hot and the person spilled it on their own lap, etc.).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hmmm. It’s good practice to lock ammo up separately, but I don’t think it’s a ‘legal’ requirement. I don’t think that it even has to be locked away, legally. (not sure on that last bit, pretty sure on the first bit, and I’m talking shotgun cartridges, have no working knowledge of other firearms)

Different rules for shotgun cartridges – can keep them anywhere – stroll about with them in your pocket if you like.

Proper bullets, locked up and not with the rifles – hence the gun cabinets with a separately locked bit at the top.

donsimon
    Free Member

but here it has become a very litiginous enivornment

Sorry, I forgot that you’re in the States, I’ve seen the pages of silly lawsuits, some of them are great reading.
    The woman who sued a furniture shop because she tripped over an unsupervised child in the store, her own child!!
    The guy who put his Winebago on cruise control and the went back to make a cuppa, then sued because it crashed.
    😀

v8ninety

Thought it was something like that, TheGreatApe. Odd though, bullets, cartridges, both deadly, both not a lot of use without a gun. Is it to do with the stealability of bullets vs cartridges do you reckon?

Me, the reason I keep a shotgun is purely as part of my Zombie Apocalypse ™ escape plan. It’s what I told the copper, I think he may have thought I was joking…

busydog
    Free Member

Sorry, I forgot that you’re in the States, I’ve seen the pages of silly lawsuits, some of them are great reading

Way too many lawyers around the US–too many “ambulance chasers”!!!
    What was the Shakespeare quote “kill all the lawyers” or something to that effect?

busydog
    Free Member

Me, the reason I keep a shotgun is purely as part of my Zombie Apocalypse

Hey, it could happen—I keep mine due to the potential of another invasion of New Mexico by Pancho Villa 🙂

v8ninety

Exactly. 😈 as could the breakdown of social cohesion and societal law and order as we know it… Not likely, but you never know. 😯

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

invasion of New Mexico by Pancho Villa

hahaha – I think we settled the other week that TJ thought you should be handed back to the Spaniards, along with the Falklands 😯

( threads passim )

breakdown of social cohesion and societal law and order as we know it

Reminds me – I must go and top up my ammo from my dealer.

Anyone here got a vacant slot for a .303? – got a friend clearing some workaday SMLE’s out for a couple of hundred each 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is it to do with the stealability of bullets vs cartridges do you reckon?

I don’t know to be honest. Perhaps shotguns and therefore shotgun ammunition is considered to be less dangerous than rifles? Certainly it is simpler to get a SGC than a FAC.

busydog
    Free Member

Man, this thread seems to have finally be on it’s last throes!!! Guess everyone got their frustrations/feelings/opinions out!!!
    Have a good night, all—I still have a couple of hours work to do before it’s Jack Daniels time.

busydog
    Free Member

as could the breakdown of social cohesion and societal law and order as we know it

From the way this thread was going, had me thinking it was already happening 😉

v8ninety

Certainly it is simpler to get a SGC than a FAC.

Can you not get a firearms certificate for the impending zombie hordes then? Doesn’t matter anyway, everyone knows that a twelve bore (with pockets full of shells) is THE weapon of choice for dezombification duties.

teasel
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

I’d still not want to use something that low-powered to try to make a clean kill from that sort of distance tbh.(30-40 yards)

But you claimed that…

I can repeatedly hit the centre of the bullseye from 100M, with a 6.5mm rifle. Repeatedly.

How did you put it again. Oh yeah…oof, always a pleasure to watch.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is it to do with the stealability of bullets vs cartridges do you reckon?

I do know that ammunition is readily available on the ‘black market’ (as it’s racistly known), and comes form originally legitimately obtained sources. Plenty of farmers etc making a few bob selling on spare ammo. Guns aren’t quite as easy to come by for the general public as the media might have you think, but if you’re suitably scummy, it’s not impossible. It does mean having to deal with some proper ‘orrible types mind.

But you claimed that…

Yeah, so what? I’d rather have a more powerful air rifle to shoot small animals at that sort of distance, so as to minimise the chance of not making a clean kill. I’d not want any creature to suffer unduly.

And? This is advice I’ve bin given by people who actually hunt a range of animals, from rabbits to elk/moose. What’s your credentials?

That I can successfully hit a static target does not in any way mean I’m expert at hitting small fast moving ones.

Are your chips a bit soggy? Soz about that.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Plenty of farmers etc making a few bob selling on spare ammo

you have proof of this?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

you have proof of this?

Why do you need to know?

v8ninety

Why do you need to know?

Because otherwise, it’s yet more fuel for the ‘world according to Elf’ fire… And that’s a fire that is burning somewhat out of control to be honest.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, I’m not all that bothered tbh. You can believe what you like; it makes no difference to me. I’m mistified as to why you think it would be, tbh.

D’you seriously think I’m going to divulge such information on a public forum? Don’t be daft.

So I’m afraid you’ll have to take my word for it. Or not. Up to you.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

V8 I think you can take it that its another FACT 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Again, a distinct lack of flippancy from you, Elfin. Strange that. [Edit : my mistake, you edited-in some of your usual BS at the end]

The remainder of that post where you brag about your target-shooting prowess includes the claim that you were a better ‘shot’ than someone else on this thread. If you were that good you would be able to translate that to killing vermin in a humane fashion, especially at 40 yards – they don’t always run around and can easily be found in a reasonably stationary position.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve never tried shooting vermin. TBH I woon’t want to, and have no personal need to. I do however think it’s a more humane method of pest control than poison and/or traps.

Perhaps I’d be quite good at it. I don’t know. I have no real desire to find out really.

I would however like to go hunting Elk in somewhere like Norway; do it in the traditional style, with dogs and that. Had invitations to do so, but sadly it never worked out. Would still like to do it one day though.

Z-11’s video of the boar hunter was interesting. That seems to me to be about actual hunting, with a proper edible end result, rather than the ego-boosting ‘hunting’ many people do in the UK. That bloke is an amazing shot. You woon’t go hungry hanging around with him, would you? 😯

teasel
    Free Member

What’s happened to the smart-arse comments and little kisses…?

v8ninety

Mmmm. Wild boar sarnies… (drool) now I know what I having for breakfast tomorrow…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What’s happened to the smart-arse comments and little kisses…?

Z-11’s still doing his best, bless him.

X

now I know what I having for breakfast tomorrow…

A packet of Quavers?

A cup of coffee and a cigarette?

Full English?

A croissant?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why do you need to know?

quite simply because i wish to know if it’s true.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sometimes in life, there are things that you will just never know, MrSmith.

As I’ve said, I’m not that daft I’m going to divulge certain things on a public forum.

I have no need to ‘prove’ anything to you; as I’ve said, it’s your choice to believe what you wish.

Northwind

Now I know you’re out there, so hands up everyone who’s eagerly waiting for the thousandth post?

(everyone else- if you stop posting now it’ll break their hearts)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Shhh!

FFS…. 🙄

v8ninety

Why else would Elf be back in a dying thread? Lol

MrSmith
    Free Member

furry muff.
    i guess if there’s plenty of them doing it one will be caught and make the news soon enough.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why else would Elf be back in a dying thread? Lol

😀

No it’s bin quite interesting actually. Apart from some of the silly posturing and attempts at justification.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Now I know you’re out there, so hands up everyone who’s eagerly waiting for the thousandth post?

not me. i’m waiting for the ‘TJ-response’ to my post about him being wrong about self defense and going to jail. (backed up by actually knowing somebody who walked free and then supplying the newspaper report to the court case)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tj gone bed innit.

(Come one, come on…)

druidh
    Free Member

Is there a Scout or Guide badge for firearms?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think there used to be one for target shooting, in the Scouts anyway.

Here’s a child you wooduv hated:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nineundredandninetyeight…

palmer77
    Free Member

1000 🙂

EDIT: Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,063 total)

The topic ‘Private ownership of firearms’ is closed to new replies.