Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Private & Confidential disclosure in the workplace
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

This is really very simple.

If you are genuinely aggrieved at the breach of confidence with regard to your personal data, then raise a grievance of some sort and let it be dealt with correctly.

the fact that you’ve not been paid is irrelevant, unless of course you’d like use someone else’s mistake to your own advantage?

Junkyard
    Free Member

What can they do? A genuine error was made and it cannot be undone [ assuming the person who sent it does not have previous for being sloppy with confidential information.

IMHO move on as it is not that big a deal.
    At my works everyone knows what everyone else earns as your job title = a certain salary level. This info is all available on the intranet – though you do have to cross reference job title with salary on two separate documents

I have never bothered to do this.

it is still my own personal and private information

Few years since i |did data protection but it is either personal or it is private. For example your name is personal information but I assume you dont keep it private at work.

legend
    Free Member

benji – Member

I earn £1380.89 after stoppages a month, now what use is that information to anyone?

I try not to associate myself with those earning less than £10k/month, therefore you’ve just been added to my “Poor People” list, thank you for your help.

njee20
    Free Member

paulsoxo +1

I’d get over it. Otherwise you’ll be “that bloke who joined 5 months ago who whinged about his sick pay then kicked up a stink over an email”. How are you really harmed by this? Or are you just trying to get one over on your employer? That’s bound to ingratiate you! 🙄

irelanst
    Free Member

A related anecdote which is of no help whatsovere to the OP but shows that things could have been worse!

I used to work for a company where the HR director accidentally sent a spreadsheet containing every employees personal information including home address, phone number, national insurance number, salary details etc. (I.e. all of the information necessary to ‘clone’ an identity) to everyone within the corporation. She managed to survive the incident but did have a few months off due to a stress related illness until the dust settled. Appraisals were interesting that year!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Junkyard – im only going by my companies very own policy – it is them stating that my financial info is P&C and IT is them including ‘private & confidential’ at the start of the very email in question.

They have crossed thier own strict policy. Other examples of such examples are all well and good, but each company is their own, with their own procedures and outcomes.

I’m not saying I want heads to roll or anything like that, and I am agrieved somewhat by may salary reduction so perhaps somewhat biased – but I’m merely trying to gauge reaction and opinion. I tend to agree with the ‘brush it under the carpet’ approach, but then again my power to the people button has been tickled.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t get why people are so sensitive about salary details. Everyone should get to know what everyone else in the company earns anyway IMO.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Again, that’s not the point being raised.

Opinion on what should/shouldn’t be sensitive info is just that, opinion.

In this case, the info is sensitive and private according to the corporation strict policy

Drac

It’s a genuine mistake. I it take you’ve never made a mistake at work? When you’re there of course.

njee20
    Free Member

They have crossed thier own strict policy. Other examples of such examples are all well and good, but each company is their own, with their own procedures and outcomes.

I doubt any company will have a procedure in place for gratuitously sharing P&C details about employees…

‘m not saying I want heads to roll or anything like that, and I am agrieved somewhat by may salary reduction so perhaps somewhat biased – but I’m merely trying to gauge reaction and opinion. I tend to agree with the ‘brush it under the carpet’ approach,

No you don’t – everyone has said it’s one of those things, you’re still disputing every post. You started the thread to work out how best to exploit your ‘leverage’, which is basically non existent, you’ve suffered no loss whatsoever. God I hope you never work for a company with me.

grum
    Free Member

Ok so according to the strict company rules does it say ‘if we make a minor mistake with the confidentiality of your salary details you get to flout the usual sickness policy’? If not then I’m not sure what you’re expecting to happen.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It shouldn’t happen and in a sensible world someone from HR would walk around and apologise.

But when did HR ever apologise for anything? It might set a precedent, and they can’t risk that.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You just want a hug don’t you.Come here baby bear…..ahhhhhh.Let it all out.
    See.All betters now.

nealglover
    Free Member

and seemingly having a small amount of leverage..

I don’t think you have any at all.

Or at least if you do, it’s going to be to someone else’s detriment rather than to your advantage.

They will give you nothing, as you have lost nothing.

However they could discipline someone else for the mistake. And what the point in forcing that ?

Move on.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yeah, I guess so. As already said, im less inclined to do anything for the very reason that I don’t want anyone else to get into trouble.
    My main interest was garnering opinion and I always tend to play Devils advocate. Despite njees claim, I havent ever caused undue suffering to another employee for my own gain, but conversely i have previously been on the receiving end and privy to some rather nasty HR heavy handedness. As a result I don’t tend to trust the HR departments and never assume they are actually there for my/other workers protection.

There were initially some comments regarding having a case, which I found interesting but the general consensus does seem to be to move on which I already have done – I do try to be a nice person, honestly.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Neal – I would counter that i did lose confidentiality, according to thier policy. However minor, it could have been worse. They have set a precident against the same confidentiality rules that I am bound by.

What do you think would happen if I made a human error and gave away trade info or some such misdemeanour? Would they brush it under the carpet?

If nothing more I think it’s an interesting scenario.

nealglover
    Free Member

What do you think would happen if I made a human error and gave away trade info or some such misdemeanour? Would they brush it under the carpet?

Nothing if you play it smart.

Do nothing now except keep a record of what happened.

Keep it as your “get out of jail free card” if you ever make a similar mistake and use it as a precedent that was set 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I think the best you can hope for is an apology from the company and a reprimand for the individual who made the mistake. Move on.

AlasdairMc

Would you realistically hope for someone else to be reprimanded for a genuine mistake?

Devil’s Advocate here – if I’ve got an employee who is five months in the door and I’m debating whether to keep them on, I’d be looking at their absence record and whether they’re likely to cause trouble for the company at all…

teadrinker
    Free Member

[/quote] I it take you’ve never made a mistake at work? When you’re there of course.

😆

If you work for such a big global company unless you are one of the top bods you are nothing more than a number to the HR dept. Suck it up and move on.

I hope you’re feeling better x

samuri
    Free Member

Would you realistically hope for someone else to be reprimanded for a genuine mistake

Yep.What that entails is a debatable point, it could just be a bit of a bollocking.

If I make a mistake at work I expect to get bollocked, don’t you?

twonks

Forward email to the head of whatever department sent you it in the first place —

‘Dear XXXX.

Please may I bring to your attention the below email in which I was deducted salary for illness.

It is not the policy I am concerned with, but the fact that the email was copied into XXXXXX. As the content contained my salary information I feel maybe there should be more control in place before the originator simply presses ‘send’

Best regards,
    Wastedtoomuchtime already.’

In doing this you’ll bring it to the attention of whoever needs it. It is then up to them how it is dealt with and you can get on with your life.

It was a mistake and we all make them.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Private & Confidential disclosure in the workplace’ is closed to new replies.