Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Private car plate
  • dyls

I’m in the process of px my car for a newer one. I need to transfer the private plate off my current car, onto the new one.

Anyone know if this can be done immediately, or do i need to take off the private plate first, put it on retention, and wait for a new v5c document from the dvla? Which I understand could take 4-6weeks!!

Anyone done it recently?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Immediately, complete the DVLA transfer plate online then fit it to your new car immediately thereafter.

woffle
    Free Member

DVLA v5c, if you do it over the phone, is a LOT faster than 4-6 weeks. I think they say 5 working days…

dyls

Can you switch them if you don’t owe both cars though, can’t get my head around it.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Do it on-line, take it off your car immediately (unless there is a discrepancy in the road tax continuity in which case you may have to do by post) & then use the code DVLA give you to transfer it on to the new one once you have the new V5C in your name.
    Cheers.

Oggles
    Free Member

V5c arrived within a couple of days after an online application a few weeks ago.

Jason
    Free Member

When I last changed my car I removed the personal plate (physically and with the DVLA) when I was parked at the dealership where I was part exchanging the car. The DVLA sent me the V5C with the changed reg for my old car a few days later, I just posted this to the dealership. I think it was the dealership who suggested doing this.

To put the plate onto the new car I think I had to wait for the V5C to arrive, but that didn’t take too long.

The other way of doing it is to remove the plate now, and then give the documents to the dealership to put on the car before you collect. I can’t remember why but the dealership I bought my new car from weren’t keen in this option – I think it is just more hassle for them.

iainc

^^ have always done it that way. You get year plates for car you are selling, for a few days, and when you pick up the new one, it has your own plates fitted.

dyls

OK so it seems it can’t be done in a day then. Probably best to take off the private plate first then as said above hopefully get a new v5c in a few days for my current car. Then purchase the new car. Wait for the new car v5c to come through. Then apply to put on the private plate. Phew – I thought it could have been done instantly with modern online tech!!!

iainc

Doing it that way costs I think about £80 to put the plate on retention for a few weeks and about £20 for a set of original year plates for the old car, so quite reasonable

mrmoofo

Unfortunately, even the DVLA will wonder why it matters …

iainc

^^^ given the money they make from it, I seriously doubt that..

regenesis
    Free Member

You’re making this much harder than it needs to be.
    Go online on the morning you get the new car.
    Put YOUR plate on retention.
    Call insurance co. To let them know you are changing vehicles.
    You get an instant email from DVLA with a code for new plates If You need them making up. (Or hand the old ones to the dealer from back of garage after removing yours on the forecourt)
    Then Go back online and do the change of ownership (or the dealer will do it while you’re there) then do the swapping of the plate about 3 days later when the new V5 lands on your mat.
    Tell your insurance co. you’re doing this when you swap cars so they don’t charge you twice for “admin” charges.
    It can be done in a day (more or less)
    I’ve collected vehicles with my plate already on it before as dealers have different options when logging in.

mikertroid
    Free Member

You can’t transfer ownership whilst a reg transfer is in place. You’ll need to apply for transfer and wait.

The dealership might be able to do it for you. Normally ~£80.

dyls

Bit of an update, the garage will do the transfer fir me. I have left the v5c of my current car with the garage. They will then phone me when its done and the private plate will be on the new car for me. So we’ll see if its a few days, a week or a few weeks!!

andrewh
    Free Member

Just leave it on the old car, easiest way to get rid.
    Took me ages to get shot of one when it came with a car I bought, felt a right numpty driving around with it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Private car plate’ is closed to new replies.