Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Prison tariffs, what proportion of sentence?
  • Moses

A convicted murderer threatened to kill a good friend of mine, when he gets out. He’s just been put away for many years, possibly enough to die in jail if her serves the lot.
    What proportion of his sentence is he actually likely to serve?

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought it was 50% and the rest out on licence. While on licence he can get called back for farting in an aggressive manner.

andyfla
    Free Member

From the gov sentencing website :
    A jail sentence means more than just time in prison. If an offender is sent to prison, the judge will decide how long he should spend in custody, but time in prison is just one part of the sentence. Offenders always complete their full sentence but usually half the time is spent in prison and the rest is spent on licence. While on licence, an offender can be sent back to prison if they break its terms.

The system of serving half a sentence in prison and half on licence was introduced by Parliament, and is not something that judges or magistrates have any control over.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends what was the minimum sentence he got for murder as it is mandatory Life with a minimum they serve?
    that is the least they can serve before applying for parole and it is not guaranteed
    they always remain on licence and can be recalled for minor offences to complete the whole life tariff

wwaswas

I suspect makign further threats to kill will have an effect on whether someone is considered fit to be parolled – has your freind told the police?

footflaps

While on licence he can get called back for farting in an aggressive manner.

In theory, quite often they seem to only get sent back if they do something really serious.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A convicted murderer threatened to kill a good friend of mine, when he gets out.

Sounds like he has committed another offence. Has this been reported ?

binners

I wouldn’t worry about it. From what I’ve seen on the news lately, by the time he’s out he’ll have converted to Islam, been radicalised, grown a big bushy beard and be plotting the destruction of the EDL

footflaps

I wouldn’t worry about it. From what I’ve seen on the news lately, by the time he’s out he’ll have converted to Islam, been radicalised, grown a big bushy beard and be plotting the destruction of the EDL

Sounds like the EDL doing a public service by acting as a magnet for Islamic nutters. Just make sure you don’t live next door to one…..

Moses

Yes, the threat was reported – all part of the evidence against the killer. He was only sentenced yesterday and isn’t a young bloke, so we’re hoping he dies before his release. But Nicky still has this threat hanging over her head.

EDIT:
    The reports which I read first hadn’t enough detail. Another paper says that the minimum term will be 28 years. That’s enough. He’ll die inside. Thank God for that.

konabunny
    Free Member

He’s just been put away for many years

What was he convicted of? Murder? Or was that a previous offence?

midlifecrashes

Manslaughter. Small world. Just had coffee with the victim’s brother, a good mate. They’re content they’ll never see this guy outside again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Prison tariffs, what proportion of sentence?’ is closed to new replies.