• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Printers,. Who decided this was better?
  • mrchrist

Had an Epsom printer for the last 3 years. It gave up the ghost so brought a new one. Opted for an HP Envy (6020 this time) as have had one before and was straight fwd to use with Google cloud print once yo connected it to your wifi on the printer console.

First problem is that Google CLoud print is no longer a thing so need some new middleware to make laptop/device work with printer. I use it at home so don’t need to deploy a printing service to more than a handful of devices/laptops.

Second thing there is no console so can’t connect to my wifi manually. Only way is to connect the printer to my wifi using the an App – HP Smart Print in this case.

Printer disconnected today and won’t reconnect. App can’t find printer. Printer is now useless. May throw it out the window…

WTF!!!!!!

Can anyone recommend a printer for under £100 that doesn’t require a call to IT support to set up and use?

funkmasterp

Doesn’t exist. They’re all degrees of shit. Think I have the one you have and it eats ink. Won’t print in black unless it has some of the colours either. We’re literally living in the future and can print stuff in 3D, yet colour printers are still utter bobbins

flannol
    Free Member

Not a direct answer but this is how I buy printers these days on behalf of tech illiterate family (it’s usually always Canon too)

I base my search pretty much solely on availability of 3rd party ink – I look @ all the printers on 1st page of amazon/currys, then plug their model numbers into amazon and look at the availability of 3rd party ink. If there’s loads, the printer is a winner (in my book)

Usually ~£15 for 3 sets of (very full) cmykbk prime’d

Very anecdotal but not had an issue with tech illiterate family setting up / using Canon’s – pretty sure they have WPS so it’s one button install, and windows / macos / ios sees them as a printer and self-installs

whatgoesup

I gave up and bought an £80 laser printer/scanner and now actually like it. Dirt cheap to run, fast, works wirelessly on the local network or can be used with a cable and just works.

mrchrist

I was afraid you would say this.

Will look for a Cannon. Loads of HPs available, not making that mistake again.

mrchrist

@markwsf which one did you buy?

molgrips
    Free Member

First problem is that Google CLoud print is no longer a thing so need some new middleware to make laptop/device work with printer.

Wut?

I can connect any device directly to my Envy 5640. Just open the printer box, search for printer, add. Never installed anything. Cloud Print was always crap as the data went over the internet and back and it took its sweet time about it.

mattyfez

Home printers are univerally shit. end of story.

Unless you want a massive laserprinter the size of a fridge, your’e basically screwed.

https://imgflip.com/i/4ualhg

whatgoesup

@mrchrist – a Brother 1610w. The first home printer I’ve had I’ve not (yet) wanted to throw out of the window.

Now I’m home schooling again it’s a godsend. Replacement cartridges are less than £10 each for a third party 4,000 page unit. £30 ish for a proper brother one.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

You brought a printer?…… Where did you BRY it from?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ll be buying another laser printer the size of a fridge * when my hplaserjet 1010 dies….

It’s only been keeping on going since 2003

It only has to print out labels , the odd ticket and sometimes a last minute bit of work for the wife’s school kids. But it just keeps on keeping on.

*Mattyfez fridge is very small .

joshvegas
    Free Member

I took my hp printer out of the box turned it on found a WiFi signal.

Printed.

The app is handy for scanning but other than that it’s been totally plug and play. Just hit print in whatever app I’m in and select envy5something. Laptops phone etc no problem.

Not what you want to hear obviously but they really are not shit like they used to be.

molgrips
    Free Member

Now I’m home schooling again it’s a godsend.

What are they having you do? We haven’t printed anything since homeschooling.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Molgrips…… You finished Flappy Bat yet?

squirrelking
    Free Member

My HP is on the utter crap end of the spectrum. It’ll work for one computer but as soon as you try to connect it to the laptop it just gives up. We just print to the email address instead.

I have no idea why they can’t just stick an ethernet port on.

haloric
    Free Member

Epson Eco-Tank, I have the 2750.

Never been so pleased with a printer, the ink is refillable – from a bottle ! Throw no cartridges away !.

Don’t have a windows devices, but macs just see it on the wifi and print to it.

I ordered this in Sept 2018 – and I haven’t had to refill it yet. I don’t know how many pages we print – but I know that by now the ink in any of my previous printers cartridges would just have evaporated/dried up/run off with the fairies.

There are windows on the front into the ink levels too – no last minute suprises.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/07/printers-reviewed-canon-and-epson-refillable-ink-models-can-they-save-you-money/?source_code=911CQJ&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB7zBehTVwH1tL5mgEMC1IE-MSs3nPMGJs6T_tTXvtMkMl5SvonDlfhoC8loQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

mrchrist

hmmmm… maybe my stupidity is winning. Will give it one last go before i throw it out the window and buy a Brother 1610w.

whatgoesup

Now I’m home schooling again it’s a godsend.

What are they having you do?

Some of the lesson content is via powerpoint/pdf presentations, but the responses are generally written on printouts. It’s year 3 primary level, so handwriting not typing and working on manual dexterity etc. With a touchscreen device you could probably get away with responding directly but the school discourage that.

By the way – the Brother I mentioned isn’t large. It would make a pretty rubbish fridge.

petrieboy

I was always of the opinion that home printers were a mugs game but my partner bought an HP envy on “instant ink” and it just works. Laptops, phones, iPad etc. All for a couple of quid a month. It’s been very useful for home schooling

Even printed a photo book for the oldiwonks on some photo paper and it came out entirely ok

Buying ink is definitely a mugs game tho

tails
    Free Member

If you don’t need colour Samsung mono laser if you do need colour Samsung with 4 separate toners. If you are printing infrequently ask in your local Facebook group, print at work, go to local print shop.

mrchrist

Got it working now…

Had to connect the printer using the wps button on the back to my wifi network.

Now the HP Smart App can find the printer and print.

Time for some whiskey.

molgrips
    Free Member

Funny you should say that – I’ve never got WPS to work on anything!

mrchrist

You need to rub your tummy and scratch your head at the same time.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

I’ve never had problems setting up WPS. Dont know what you are doing but I’ve always found it the easiest.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve been really happy with an HP, fwiw. (mini office printer though, perhaps they’re a bit better?)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Printers,. Who decided this was better?’ is closed to new replies.