Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Prince Albert or Alpine
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

I posted about this a few weeks back but still undecided. I am now going to have this as my only bike (selling my full suss) and it needs to suit the following riding criteria:

– Weekend riding is mainly XC stuff around Surrey Hills and Thetford

– Some days spent playing on descents and pushing up

– I enjoy the downs more than the ups

– Handful of trips to Wales/Scotland trail centres

– Various trips to peaks/natural

– Some urban and mild off road mid week fitness rides with skinnier 2.0 tyres

– Monthly trips to aston hill, chicksands, woburn etc

– Alps trips every year

– One bike needs to cover all disciplines

What does everyone think matches the brief?

brooess
    Free Member

My Cotic Soul has done all of those things except the Alps.
    I chose my Soul over the Five for Surrey Hills most days
    PA is closest of those 2 to the Soul.
    Maybe just hire a full suss when you go to the Alps?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Either will suit you well, depends what you ride when in the Alps in some respects.

I wanted a steel hardtail which would be good for the same broad range of duties, what I did was buy a BFe and order a Prince Albert Classic. I couldn’t decide between these two so I got both frames in case the BFe didn’t turn out to be what I wanted (Classic arrives in late July whereas I could have the BFe immediately).

I’ve been riding the BFe now for about two months around Surrey Hills (150/120 adjustable forks) and it can handle everything I can in the way of drops and jumps plus all the normal trail stuff, have done 50k xc rides and a 3 day trip to the Peaks and it’s perfect. Since getting it I haven’t used my 160mm travel Reign. My dilemma is what to do with the PA now as I won’t give up the BFe, looks like I’ll have two HT’s 🙂

In my mind you have the Soul/PA then BFe then Alpine in terms of progression from do it all XC to Alps hardtail

I think any of those bikes will serve you well especially if you put on some adjustable travel forks. If you want a spin on the BFe drop me an email, Head for the Hills in Dorking can demo you a Dialed Bikes.

Rubber-Duck

Hi

If you decide on an Alpine I will be putting mine up for sale this weekend. It will deliver to your requirements without any problems and will be a delight in alpine conditions with a 150mm fork. 🙂

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

120/130 forks go for a PA
    Above go for the Alpine

jambalaya
    Free Member

HantsNightRider – Member
    120/130 forks go for a PA
    Above go for the Alpine

And for adjustable forks, 150/120 ot 140/110 ….

@lovetoride on further thought and looking at your wishlist I definitely recommend adjustable forks for a best of both worlds even if they spend more time in the short travel position (did 30k yesterday all in 120mm mode as downs were not steep or technical). Plus you can “Alps/DH” bike with bash and chain device and appropriate brakes. I wouldn’t bother with changing tyres for a midweek spin either, plenty of good all around options in 2.1-2.3 range.

Dickyboy

Have a word with mike at dialled bikes – I think that the PA would handle all of those duties but from what you are saying I think you would regret not buying the alpine

jimmy

Having had both, I would definitely recommend the Alpine. Its just tonnes more fun, and I used it for what you’re describing.

Get some 150mm forks on it which can be reduced for climbing (I had MZs) and its just ace. Only reason I got rid was because I wanted to do longer rides and it was a tad too short. Bought a BFe as a replacement and I think its perfect all round.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Rubber duck – What size is the alpine?

Rubber-Duck

Its an 18”, in the red.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Pity, i would of needed the small 16″.

With regards to alps riding it would be things like the port du soleil, pleney run, chatel etc etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

As my LBS owner said to me when you have such a broad range of trails you want to ride it’s a compromise. If you want to shade the Alps / DH then it’s the Alpine with 160/150 max travel forks, if you favour the general riding and trail centres then the Albert with 140’s – either way I suggest adjustable forks to get the broadest range of handling and either bike will work well.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I ride my Alpine on the North Downs and have taken it to Wales and the Alps. Mine has got heavy old Marz Z1s on it but it still does everything I want including climbing. I’ve not tried a PA but I have a Soul. I would always take the Alpine to anywhere that was a bit of a challenge but that’s beacuse I am not the greatest rider in the world and I always find the Alpine gives me huge levels of confidence.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I had a 525 mk2 PA with fixed length 140mm Revs, it climbed ok and descending great. I reckon although fun, the Alpine would be a bit OTT for a lot of what you have described. There will be quite a jump in the weight given the extra frame and fork weight and PAs are very tough.

Chat to Mike and see if you get in on the 853 PA order! I recommend a gravity dropper or one of them forca ebay copies and a 2 ring chain device (DMR or Blackspire).

lovetoride
    Free Member

Its so close between the two, it really has to do everything, be able to descend well but not be horrible on the XC day trips.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Alpine. Doing bikefest as a pair (so 6hrs of racing), use it for XC rides, but also a riot at woburn and chicksands on the jumps, dual and other place stuff. Only reason I’m not taking it to verbier is I have another Alpine (160) which needs to be used!

souldrummer
    Free Member

Alpine is fine for all day rides. I have done long days in the saddle on the North Downs, Wales and the Alps. Climbing is a bit slower but only the very steep has needed me to get off and push- which would have happened no matter what bike I was riding!!!

mildred

I’ve had both and preferred the Alpine.

There isn’t a huge difference in weight and the angles just felt nicer to me. As said above, an alpine or Bfe with adjustable forks would tick the boxes. Couple that with a light trail wheelset and a wide heavier duty DH pair wod make it a very adaptable bike.

Yetiman
    Free Member

The PA sounds about right for the riding you describe. I ran 145/125mm Nixons on mine although I left them at 145mm for most of the time, and only wound them down on the steepest climbs, or when riding XCish stuff and groomed trails like Glentress. It was a pretty good all rounder.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Still 50:50!

The bike will be run with adjustable coil forks, 95 – 140mm.

Based on the original post, I’m inclined to think the Prince Albert will be better for you for the majority of your riding.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Must admit the PA looks to be more suited to everything whereas the Alpine looks more decent happy and there not may steep, fast or technical ones where I live which is where most of the riding will be done. I have ridden a friends 853PA which seemed suitable and strong enough.

Radioman

I use an Alpine for all my trail riding including Surrey hills Swinley, Epping, Woburn. It’s perfect. I have 150 mm air Revelation forks which keep the front end very light , but it’s perfectly planted on climbs and does not lift up. My forks are not adjustable travel. I don’t think you need it on the Alpine. It climbs very well.
    Before I hade 140mm coil Pikes. These made the bike a bit of a tank in terms of handling, the 150mm Revelations make it so much quicker.

The BIG selling point for me is the Alpine’s dropped top tube. That extra crotch clearence makes a big difference on tech bits , plus I admit looks good.(I have short legs too!)

vondally
    Free Member

Over the years had both including the originial PA, so 2 PAs and 2 alpines.Used both for xc rides and all dayers so 6 to 8 hours riding. Alpines climb fine better with travel adjust but fine at 160, the bikes were more capable than me going down and was solid/stiff.I wouldsay alpine designed for mountains, nephew rode his across the alps a couple of summers ago and felt it was ideal.
    PA better suited for me more springy in feel, climbed better at 140mm than alpine but was lighter and was basically jut a great all rounder.
    True UK bike, do not make the mistake of selling one as you will regret it.

lovetoride
    Free Member

How does the on one 456 relate to the PA?

t-p26
    Free Member

PA, love it, goes up hills better than an Alpine, because thats what it was designed to do…. Oh and it`ll handle alpine singletrack too.

Pieface

I prefer my 456 to the PA i rode, nicer finish too

sam69
    Free Member

how different is the pa to a blue pig please?

lovetoride
    Free Member

Pieface – I had heard that they finish the 456 with liquid paint and the PA with powdercoat so the PA should be more durable?

sam69 – I think a blue pig is not too dissimilar to the new 456 evo so is similar to what I asked! Hopefully someone more in the know answers!

lovetoride
    Free Member

Anyone else got any further opinions?

Pieface

May not be relevant but thought I’d add some food for thought.

I rode a PA for a weekend in the lakes as my Soul was out of action. It weighed a considerable amount more than the soul but alot of this was down to bottom of the range coil pikes, however it did have a heavy, planted feel that could go through anything. The back was considerably stiffer than the Soul but that was no bad thing, the main thing was it wasn’t as nimble as the Soul.

I got a 456 to replace the Soul and as far as I can tell its pretty much the same albeit a bit heavier, but only enough to make a difference because I’m aware of it, however the extra weight / over-built ness gives me more confidence in the bike.

With regards to finish – not sure if they still put stickers on the PA but they really cheapen the finish of the PA, however the 45y stickers are under the lacquer, although i don’t hold out much hope of the paint staying in good nick. The PA (granted quite old) just had a much more industrial / Nicolai / pragmatic feel to it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you considered a charge blender??
    Would probably tick most of your boxes especially if you are short.
    Only downfall is the slack head/seat angle for XC and pedalling up steep climbs. I love mine..

nick3216
    Free Member

Sorry, wrong thread 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Prince Albert or Alpine’ is closed to new replies.