Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Prime wheels – any experience?
  • scruff9252

I’m doing the French Divide this summer and want to get nicer wheels – current ones are >2.5kg and non tubeless, so when complete with innertubes, tyres, rotors they weigh over 5kg. Not ideal for a 2,200km ride with 36,000m climbing.

I’ve seen CRC’s own brand prime wheel set and very tempted, but are a bit of an unknown entity. Anyone used them for gravel /light offroad riding?

Thanks

ads678

Can’t comment on them for off road, but i’ve just bought a set of the Prime Race Disc wheels and they are very nice. Only had one ride on them so far so can’t say too much but they look decent. and you get spacers and axle for 12/15mm frame/forks and tubeless valves. Great for the price.

Jase
    Free Member

Had a road set for approx 700 miles, no problems so far.  Got my daughter a set too.

They get positive reviews

mav12
    Free Member

i have a set of the £100 disc wheels no problems up tp now done about 700 miles alex rims dt spokes not sure about the hubs ,only downside is backup , nothing on the website about how to service them, emaile them last week asking a  question , not had a reply yet.

addy6402

I’ve got the £100-ish disc wheels on my Arkose. Very impressed with them for the price, no issues to date with some mild off road too.

BenjiM

I have the prime race disc wheels. I’ve been using them since October last year. Yes they’re light and when the bearings haven’t gone they are great. Service kits can be bought on CRC or Wiggle however I went to Wych bearings and bought some decent replacements as the stock ones lasted less than 500 miles, albeit there was some CX races (about 4 or 5 I think) in there but nothing too muddy. The anti bite guard on the free hub also detached, making it kind of pointless.

They work very well in a tubeless set up, I’m running them with Schwalbe CX Ones and no issues running low pressures. Spare spokes that come with them is a nice touch as is the ability to replace the axles. The rear has gone ever so slightly out of true which surprisingly I’ve never had happen on a set of factory wheels before.

Easy enough to service as well. The freehub just pulls off and you can knock the bearings out. They use Novatec hubs I’m pretty sure I’ve got the hub numbers somewhere.

I’ve used them a fair bit off road so would suggest a bearing change to some Enduros or some such before embarking on a long trip. I’d also make sure you have a spoke key in your bag!

As a sub £300 light set of wheels once you’ve changed the bearings they’re pretty good.

sefton
    Free Member

I recently bought the 250 one.think they are called pro race.anyway…the feel every bit as good as my Shimano rs81. The are just as light too. No mega keen on the thin Matt black finish. I like the glossy look of the rs80. They are nice and wide too. I run 27 open paves. GOT A FEW quid off in the sale and with b.c. discount

richardthird

Bought the £150 1640g ones.  Nice, wideish deepish, big bag of bits, pre-taped, pair of valves, stickers peel off.

Easy Tubeless, WTB Resolutes 42mm went on with just the right amount of tightness.

Bargin compared to e.g. Hunts imo

scruff9252

That’s great, just what I wanted to hear. Thanks all

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing up the ~£270 (before BC discount) Pro Disc versions for a few weeks, at 1450g, they are ~440g lighter than the Fulcrum Racing 77 DBs on my road bike. The unknown factor for me is, would I regret not buying a set of Hunts or Campag Zonda C17s for up to ~£150 more.

moorsey72
    Free Member

Im buding a gravel bike for the dirty reiver and bought the prime race disc for £169. They look great value (stickers would have to go though) but thinking of returning them as not sure the 20/24 spoke count will be up to carrying 14 stone over very lumpy gravel for 200km. Considering stretching to hunt gravels or maybe something with hope unless im just overthinking the primes as they do seem decent enough

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Prime wheels – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.