Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Prime Minister, would you like to comment on Jade Goody?
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

That was wierd…

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Prime Minister, Rt Hon. Gordon Brown MP’s, statement to the House of Commons on the matter of the illness of Ms Jade Goody.

These are difficult and uncertain times for this nation, and the people of Britain rightly expect that my government should devote its full resources to addressing the various matters of genuine national concern that confront us. British troops are deployed overseas, British jobs are being lost as the full impact of a global economic slow-down begins to be felt, my government has engaged in almost unprecedneted state support of the banking sector and has as a result borrowed money considerably in excess of gross domestic product, work by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation suggests that our goal of eliminating child poverty is becoming more expensive. In all, it is possible that the challenges facing this country and my government are insurmountable. It is possible that the solutions to several of them are well beyond the power of government to accomplish. I do not propose to comment in detail upon the illness of Ms Jade Goody. Her condition was not caused by anything within government’s control, and I understand that it is unlikely to be affected by government action at this stage.

Or not…

nickc

Smashing, there goes a man with his finger on the pulse…

Soon Dave will be on the Air saying how is reaction to Jade was not enough, and that he should take action to limit the amount of sympathy, and even backdate the lack of sympathy to the start of the current daytime TV crisis

shreck
    Free Member

Is he going to say somthing about every ill person?i bet there are more deserving people who have done things who get no mention?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

jade goody should have been put down well before she got cancer. she’s dieing, it’s sad for her family.

doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

scruff
    Free Member

Didnt some Indians put a death curse on her or sumfink?

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Brown is a such a c0ck, makes me want to vomit whenever I see him.

IHN

Well, he was asked to comment, so what was he supposed to say? I’m sure if he’d have said “frankly, I don’t give a sh1t” it wouldn’t have gone down very well.

Mr Brown said: “It’s very sad and tragic that such a young woman has this cancer. It’s very sad indeed that the treatment has not been successful.”

He added: “Her determination to help her family is something that we have got to applaud and I wish her family well.”

He’s hardly leaping on a publicity bandwagon is he? He’s such said what a lot of people would say.

It’s not his fault that someone in the media used an oppurtunity to grill him to ask about something so trivial.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

jade goody should have been put down well before she got cancer

Nice. How incredibly sensitive and caring of you…

Would you like to elaborate on why you fell she should have been ‘put down’ ,as you put it (I’m assuming you mean she should have been executed, like a dog or something)?

Here we go again… 😯 🙄

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s not his fault that someone in the media used an oppurtunity to grill him to ask about something so trivial.

Agreed. I think the fact that he had to comment says more about the state of our political culture than it does about him. Who was the first PM who would have been forced to comment on such trivia? Difficult to imagine Gladstone doing it…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

certainly

i’ve met her twice and on both occasions taken a severe disliking too her. of course i don;t want her actually put down.

if jade good y or her family happen to read these comments, they should have the sense to see that they are a symptom of her ‘celebrity’ status.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I have no interest in her and dislike the society we have that makes her a celebrity. As such the only reason I know about her is because even the main stream press have stories about her so, if it wasn’t for this, I wouldn’t have heard of her and so wouldn’t know about her cancer. However, as I have heard about this my sympathy is with her and her family.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This may shock you, but I am going to praise Jade Goody.

She was let down by the education system and let down badly. She’s thick. She knows this. But, she has decided to use her celebrity to make as much money as she can to ensure that her son(s?) are/is not let down in the same way. That HAS to be a good aspiration. Brave girl.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ok. But it’s not a very nice thing to say.

If Jade’s ‘celebrity’ status helps to raise awareness about cancer, then maybe she will leave this Earth as someone who’s short life actually made a little bit of difference. Although I’m sure that her friends and family would much prefer that she remained as an annoying person of little consequence to most.

Just give her a bit of dignity. She ain’t deliberately hurt anyone, or caused people to suffer.

Well said, Flashy.

kimbers

shes being treated next at the royal marsden where i work, well next door
    there is a crowd of very bored looking photogropers out there all day long waiting to catch a glimpse of her

its all very sad
    sad that she has cancer
    sad that we know who she is
    sad that some journalist? asked the PM about her

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i agree rb, her cancer has allegedly caused a rise in the rate of cervical smear testing amongst teenage girls which is great. i’m not a teenage girl though.

if i met her again i’m sure i would be full of sympathy, but she would get exactly the same sympathy as joe bloggs next door’s brother or whatever

the press asking the question was just fishing for a blunder to make headlines

HTTP404
    Free Member

She wasn’t the most likeable z-list celebrity and I’ve often wondered how any degree of celebrity status could be bestowed on somebody with little admirable quality.

My sympathies do however go to her family and children for the loss of a loved one.

kimbers

well hopefully if the cervical cancer jab take up is good 90% of all cervical cancers will be prevented in a few years

that is assuming fuctards like catholic schools and the morons who object to mmr dont screw it up for everyone else

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

she’s dieing

anyway i’m off to pedants corner for that one, where’s that plasticine

DezB
    Free Member

Ok. But it’s not a very nice thing to say.

FFS, do you heckle comedians with that line????!

DezB
    Free Member

She was let down by the education system and let down badly. She’s thick.

Which is it?

EDIT: sorry, I’m not really joining this discussion. So don’t reply. I have no f*cking interest in anyone or anything to do with big brother and turn the TV off/over whenever those I recognise as being that appear. (and most other ‘celebrities’ for that matter)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I am not sure of the exact word I am looking for here but strange, perverse, odd etc all come to mind with regards to this whole Jade Goody issue.

She is basically dying in the same way she seems to have lived her life after big brother – in the media spotlight. She was famous for being thick. Then she was famous for loosing weight? Then she became a famous racist. Now she’s famous for being terminally ill. Soon she’ll be famous for dying.

I personally feel nothing for her other than morbid curiosity.

mudshark
    Free Member

assuming fuctards like catholic schools and the morons who object to mmr dont screw it up

What do catholic schools have to say on this?

Gary_M
    Free Member

The former Big Brother contestant’s plight was “very sad and tragic”,

Nothing new there then.

Anyway what was Brown supposed to say? He was asked the question, hardly his fault.

theotherjonv

yes, but it would eat significantly into the £million she’s hoping to leave to her boys, so out of kindness to them I’ll pass up this time.

Seriously – sad for her and her family and friends who’ll be left behind. If people didn’t want to buy OK to see the pics there wouldn’t be that much cash being offered, but as it is on offer she’d be daft not to take it. A matter for politicians and journalists to be discussing? Probably not though.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I wonder what her kids will value more, the money that she left them or the chance to watch mummies last moments on youtube. Warms the cockles I tell you.

kimbers

What do catholic schools have to say on this?

linky

andym
    Free Member

Well said CFH. (That’s twice in two days. Scary).

It’s hard to say whether Big Dummy or michaelwainwright come out of this thread looking worse.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thanks for that andym.

I assume you consider that commenting on the illness of individuals is a good use of government time, and that soliciting such comments is a good use of a free press.

I do not, and that was my only point. I bear Jade Goody no more ill will than I bear most people I don’t know.

🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

We live in a country where it is possible to have a “job” that is being a “celebrity”, the rights / wrongs of that are a whole other topic. As such, Jade is doing her “job” now to ensure her sons have some money left to them for the future, so good on her really. As a by-product, as mentioned above, uptake on smear tests has gone up hugely since this has all been in the news, which can only be a good thing.

mrsflash
    Free Member

as said above though bigdummy, he’s got to comment on it if asked about it surely? Not his fault.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I don’t understand the point of this thread BigDummy. So Gordon Brown presumably expressed an opinion in his personal capacity, when asked to do so. However, in his capacity as Prime Minister he doesn’t feel that he should comment on the subject during a statement to the House of Commons.

What’s wrong with that – it seems like a perfectly fair and reasonable position for him to take ?

Gordon Brown certainly deserves a great deal of criticism for his handling of the prime ministership, but desperately searching to cane him for every word he utters is frankly pathetic.

BTW, I know absolutely nothing about Jade Goody, but I can’t imagine calling for any human being to be ‘put down’, even if they were racist. And I have nothing but sympathy for a very young woman who has been told that she will soon die and never see her children grow up.

And yes DezB, I would certainly heckle a “comedian” with the line, “it’s not a very nice thing to say” if they made a highly offensive hate based comment – shame on you for keeping your mouth shut when people make offensive hate based comments.

aracer
    Free Member

Just to show it does happen, I totally agree with GG.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i want Jade Goody put down as much as various members of this forum want lots of people owned with Bombers and Jeremy Clarkson thinks all truck drivers are murderers. This is an internet forum, full of lively discussion, opinions and sometimes, yes, even on the internet, satire. She was an object of comedic derision when she was healthy and will remain as such during her illness and after her death.

i disliked her intensely when i met her but i would not wish death on anyone, if you can’t see the obvious over exaggeration in my comment then you are taking yourself and this forum far too seriously.

Over 4000 people will die of AIDS today in sub Saharan Africa, why does Jade Goody deserve any more of my, or indeed the nation’s emotional wealth than every single last one of them. I said exactly the same thing when Mike Reid died and will continue to do the same for anyone whom i have met and disliked as much.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Gus and others, apologies for the confusion clearly caused. My “statement to the house” is (as I thought obvious) a work of fiction. It is what I would rather the Prime Minister said on subjects of this sort. It isn’t a caning of Brown either, particularly. the Prime Minister (indeed any minister) shouldn’t have to take any interest, at all. Neither should he get hauled into “Big Brother is racist” rows, “Withnail and I is relatively good” rows, “Peaches Geldof should work harder at her marriage” discussions or indeed required to comment publicly on anything of the sort.

It’s not that it “doesn’t matter”, it’s simply that government cannot sensibly have anything to add. In the context of a press conference, a lot of questions do not get answered, and a lot of questions get brushed off with “I’m not going to comment on that at this time”. Someone has decided that the PM should give the response he’s given, and he’s taken a question from someone who was (probably) identified as likely to ask it.

That he was asked it at all says a lot about the quality of the press’ use of the prime minister’s press conference. That he chose to answer it says a lot about how the government chooses to communicate with us.

The actual position taken, which is pretty much the same as CaptainFlasheart’s, is unobjectionable, agreed. Similar sentiments are expressed about Jordan and others.

My bad, I’ve started a thread about something that riled me, linked to a subject which is excessively emotive, and I’ve done it in a confusing way. I will save the point I was trying to make until Lilly Allen gets married and the PM sends official congratulations, andthen we won’t end up sneering a dying woman in the process.

Sorry all.

Jon

sootyandjim
    Free Member

….Then she became a famous racist….

Racist? She’d probably struggle to spell the word let alone be one.

She is a simple bivalve, a manner with which to produce CO2 from otherwise perfectly good air.

Racist? Yes I’m sure you are right. Its how the Nazis started you know, calling people ‘popadom’.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

My bad

I’ve got more issue with you saying that, than anything else you’ve posted. ‘My mistake‘, please.

if you can’t see the obvious over exaggeration in my comment then you are taking yourself and this forum far too seriously.

I’m sorry, I din’t see any ‘obvious exaggeration’; I just saw something objectionable.

Personally, I sympathise as much with any Human being suffering. I think the Jade Goody situation makes people feel sorry for anyone suffering from cancer, rather than just one individual. We sympathise with the situation as much as the person.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Rudeboy, I guess I meant mea culpa.

😉

sobriety
    Free Member

something objectionable

You’re objectionable

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member

sofatester – Member
    For 10k i will kill him for you.

I’ll do it for £9k.

well i’ll be damned, i’m calling the police right now, you are obviously a REAL contract killer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Prime Minister, would you like to comment on Jade Goody?’ is closed to new replies.