Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • PRIDE Events, LGBTQ content
  • project
    Free Member

So over the weekend we had a Pride event in liverpool, lots of positiveness around the event, most shops and retail chains displaying rainbow banners etc, huge turn out by the police and specials parading, along with huge crtowds watching, filming and taking pictures, even a christian group protesting, who had their own police guard.

But negativity from some quarters on antisocial media, about the number of police parading and the LGBTQ thing being overly promoted and shoved down peoples throats, their words not mine,along with disruption to the city roads and shops.

Strangely we had months of bloody football  and we had that on every channel and on all media, and they still lost.

Whats everyones opinion.

angeldust
    Free Member

You sound a bit intolerant of football and people that enjoy it.  Everyone is different, live and let live.  People enjoying football doesn’t hurt you, does it?

rene59
    Free Member

It’s getting more and more like a corporate event each year

Murray

Corporate is good – can you imagine major companies fighting to sponsor a LGBTQ event in the 80s? Hopefully it will just end up in boring normality in a few years.

bruneep

what fun……when your work orders you to attend and if you refuse you are required to a LGBT awareness course and a note put on your file.

I had other events arranged prior to this but they had to be cancelled.

Drac

Whats everyones opinion.

Northumberland’s first one took place here they marched from town passing my street to the main event, was brilliant. I popped around to the event to catch up with friend, loads of family activities going was a cracking event. Certainly better than watching a football game.

BoardinBob

It was Glasgow pride a few weeks ago and the only folk I heard complaining were my gay mates! Ticketing was a rip off and fiasco as were the prices at the bar at the main event. Far too commercial nowadays apparently.

Apart from that, not a murmur from anyone else though no doubt there are some knuckle draggers out there who will always moan

johnners
    Free Member

Some people like football. Get over it.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

they don’t even pay road tax..

project
    Free Member

bruneep, on your days off or as part of a working shift

Drac

Ticketing was a rip off and fiasco as were the prices at the bar at the main event. Far too commercial nowadays apparently.

Free event here here and bar prices were exactly the same as every other week.

Jamie
    Free Member

Whats everyones opinion.

I predict:

Some will be trying a little too hard to be seen as being right on.

Some will be trolling.

Some will throw shade at knuckle draggers who might not like it.

Etc.

Edit: Cor. just imagine if we could do bullet points and other fancy formatting stuff.

project
    Free Member

Jamie thats just your opinion of other peoples opinions, what is required is deeper thinking by more eductated persons, im not one of them , eg an educated person.

bruneep

working day.

I had arranged other work ages before this came to attention, but I was told I had to drop everything and attend, refusal woul lead to the above.

shifter
    Free Member

Who do you work for Bruneep?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What does the ‘Q’ stand for?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Straight blokes who like football still exist? We must get rid of these Neanderthals asap

myti
    Free Member

Looking forward to attending Brighton pride parade at the weekend but the event as a whole is too commercial and an excuse for a massive pissup/drugfest and trashing of Brighton’s streets by visitors so possibly losing it’s way somewhat.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rainbow coffee cups, anyone?

angeldust
    Free Member

People don’t like stuff being shoved down their throats, especially if they don’t support it.  Football, diversity, cycling through London.  Somebody is always going to moan.  Expecting 100% support and positivity is setting yourself up for dissapointment, especially when it is so easy to share your opinion these days.

allthegear
    Free Member

What does the ‘Q’ stand for?

Queer or Questioning, kinda whichever fits best.

Some people are not not fans of the term queer but others are. I’m a bit of a fan.

Rachel

ninfan
    Free Member

Funny, haven’t the police been going on for months about how they were so short of resources, due to funding cuts, that they didn’t have enough staff left to fight crime or properly manage evidence disclosure? (Similar lack of resources with Fire service etc.)

People don’t like stuff being shoved down their throats,

Well, some do…

SaxonRider

I just can’t stand the corporatisation of it all. Consequently, I loved the Jonathan Pie commentary.

BoardinBob

Free event here here and bar prices were exactly the same as every other week

Apparently they oversold the Glasgow one so people with tickets couldn’t get in. Once in it was £6 for a pint of crap lager!

chestrockwell

I think the pride events are great and the more mainstream they become the better. I agree with bruneep though, working for the same service it has become the fashionable thing to jump on this year. Those pushing it couldn’t give a shit, and some are nailed on homophobic  but it gets them brownie points in the promotion race. It’s a real shame that it can be polluted by these reptiles and is the reason I would be against getting involved when on duty.

bearnecessities

Jamie thats just your opinion of other peoples opinions

No, I reckon he’s pretty bang on with that.

701arvn
    Free Member

My Mother in Law on said Pride event; there just seems to be a lot of them because clearly some people are just pretending to be gay because it’s fashionable.

Oh how I laughed and laughed, until I realised she was serious.

Enjoyed Mr Pye, thank you.

mikey74
    Free Member

My office, here in Vancouver, had a Pride event in the cafe and large meeting room upstairs: free alcohol, free food, and lots of interesting posters talking about key people, historical events, social conventions etc. It was purely voluntary (literally), but why wouldn’t you?

Cletus

Interesting oint re. policing of football. Manchester City team coach attacked with bricks and flares whilst Merseyside Police stand by and watch. When they are finally called out they reluctantly investigate but no arrests despite lots of video footage of said event.

Maybe Merseyside Police should try spending a bit more time dealing with crime rather than trying to appear right on by organising so much coverage at this recent event?

Marin
    Free Member

Great day out in Liverpool on Saturday happy friendly event good vibes all round. Its great when they close roads off for people to enjoy the city. Can only imagine the shops takings would be boosted. Religious protesters drowned out by disco and seen off with the Benny Hill theme tune. Heard no negative points about it. Even some very un  pc mates in town out drinking ended up in the middle of it all saying they had a great time so job done really.

allthegear
    Free Member

Enjoyed Norwich Pride on Saturday.

I’m one of the team organising the first ever King’s Lynn Pride on the 18th August. It has been an interesting learning curve – road closures, bar max sizes, safety forms, police intelligence reports etc etc.

Rachel

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We have the rainbow flag flying at work at present, heard a couple of moans, guys in their 50s about how it didn’t bother them, but they don’t like it ‘in their faces’…

It’s pretty much a mixture of ignorance and macho posturing that is dying off thankfully, times are definitely changing – there’s quite a few openly gay guys at work, when I started my apprenticeship in the 90s, that would never have happened.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Interesting oint re. policing of football. Manchester City team coach attacked with bricks and flares whilst Merseyside Police stand by and watch. When they are finally called out they reluctantly investigate but no arrests despite lots of video footage of said event.

Maybe Merseyside Police should try spending a bit more time dealing with crime rather than trying to appear right on by organising so much coverage at this recent event?

Christ, you still banging on about this? 🤣

perchypanther
    Free Member

Quote from the guy who runs the B&B I was staying in on the weekend of the York Pride event…..

“What is it they’re marching for? Don’t  they already have everything they want?”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How about when people stop thinking it’s being right on they could back it off a bit.

Love the “I’m not ______ but” replies though

wwaswas

Bruneep – so your company redirected you to different work for a day when it would be busy? If they’d done the same for a footie match would you have felt so aggrieved?

Marin
    Free Member

Merseyside Police promoting events like this will hopefully reduce hate crime which can only be a positive effect Cletus for everyone. Unless of course it’s Man City in which case get the flares out. This is Anfield!

wwaswas

Northumberland’s first one took place here they marched from town passing my street to the main event, was brilliant.

Drac – one of my sisters was the police gold commander for that, she felt it had gone really well so glad to hear your view 🙂

bruneep

yup I’d been livid as I dont do wendyball

bikebouy
    Free Member

Glad the message is spreading into the Provences TBH. It’s always been quoted that London moves 5years ahead, well this is probably 10yrs in this instance.

Accept people for who they are and concentrate on yourself for being a human who accepts others.

Everyones quoting “the new normal” this IS the new normal.

Get used to it.

Pains me to say it but this is part of a Brexit backlash, the demographics that split the country and intolerance was accepted. Not anymore it isn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘PRIDE Events, LGBTQ content’ is closed to new replies.