Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Prickly face. (Beard content)
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve decided to grow a beard. Mainly because I want to make up for the thinning hair on the top of my head. Annoyingly the hair on my face is like a thick angry wire brush (the sort of facial hair superman would grow 😉 ) and as a result it’s in its very itchy, prickly stage. I’m hoping that as it gets longer it will pass but any beard experts here recommend something to alleviate the scratchyness and soften it. The other halfs moisturisers have done little so far.

thegreatape
    Free Member

In a completely non-twatty way, you just have to MTFU. It’ll soon pass. All that moisturising nonsense isn’t really in keeping with beards, IMO. Not proper beards anyway. Really, it won’t last long.

spchantler
    Free Member

try shaving your bollocks, the prickly feeling as that grows back will definitely take you mind off the mild itching on your face.

spchantler
    Free Member
    binners

Is this the look you’re aiming for?

I can’t do facial hair as the missus says it looks like I’ve put my head on upside down

sobriety
    Free Member

Shampoo and condition it. This was advice from my dad who has always had a rather large beard, back when I grew on to keep out the cold last winter.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

In a completely non-twatty way, you just have to MTFU. It’ll soon pass. All that moisturising nonsense isn’t really in keeping with beards, IMO. Not proper beards anyway. Really, it won’t last long.

That’s what I thought to be honest, but it’s been driving me crazy the past couple of days. I don’t want to shave it off though as this is the furthest I’ve got with it in 3 attempts.

Binners – not far wrong, although I do have some hair left on my head. I’m hoping the beard will at least provide some insulation over the winter months.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Shampoo and condition it. This was advice from my dad who has always had a rather large beard, back when I grew on to keep out the cold last winter.

Might try that. Doesn’t sound a bad idea.

teasel
    Free Member

Get a little comb and give it an occasional run-through. Works wonders…

bikebouy
    Free Member

DOn’t clip it with scissors, you’ll make some nasty sharp ends to the hairs, best off combing (as said) and exfoliating with a quite rough exfoliation soap to get rid of the dead skin under your new growth.

Movember experiance only here BTW.

alexpalacefan

+1 shampoo and conditioner. If it’s really itchy/flakey then some medicated shampoo can help

APF

lambchop
    Free Member

When I started growing my beard I found it mega itchy about 3 weeks in until about 8 weeks. Stick with it. Don’t trim until at least week 12 and don’t carve a neckline, go full on and wear it with pride.

mattsccm
    Free Member

you’ll get used to it. I clip mine back to number 1 then let it have a month or so. Never seems to itch but then I have been a beardy for 32 years! Was the first in the lower 6th to have one!

mattsccm
    Free Member

As it gets long a touch of fried egg in it helps!

labsey
    Free Member

Fight through it. You’ll be fine.

GaryLake
    Free Member

As a recent beard hobbyist (about a year), I can confirm it’ll pass.

I think you need a bit of a neck line trim, nothing overly groomed but a tiny trim is the difference between full beard and tramp beard IMO. Don’t touch the cheek line whatever you do though, you can spot a cheek trimmer a mile away and it looks awful and over groomed. A little trim is the difference between full beard and boy-band beard.

Also, no one ever tells you about the joys of condensation beard (when riding), which if this week’s forecast transpires will become frost beard! Having a wife/partner to point out food and general spillages is a bonus too when it comes to integrating your newly bearded self into society…

I still get beard envy a lot. Wonderfully thick on the neck but really crap on the ‘burns… 😳

As it gets long a touch of fried egg in it helps!

Edit: and this, wave goodbye to ever being able to eat a bacon and egg butty in public with the slightest ounce of dignity.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Cheers folks. I’ll give the shampoo/conditioner a whirl. I’m about 5 weeks in with this attempt and have resisted any trimming of any sort.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Prickly face. (Beard content)’ is closed to new replies.