Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pricing a second hand bike.
  • tails
    Free Member

I’ve done the usual eBay sold section and I’m getting a £400 variable. How much of a premium do you think eBay brings?

damascus
    Free Member

The premium eBay brings in price is then eaten away by ebay and PayPal costs.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Look at Pinkbike for sale section too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think the good bikes go for a good money on ebay. Not that different to a forums classifides (here, pinkbike, wherever). I think crap bikes go for way above their real value because you dont need to sell to a sensible person who wouldnt buy something that needed a new drivechain and a suspension service, you just need two idiots bidding against each other ignoring the likely £500 cost of servicing it (or planning to strip it for parts and dont care).

The ebay advantage is you know it will be sold and gone by a set date for a bare minimum of effort. Most of the time you could get the top ebay prices just by washing the bike, taking a half decent pic and writing and advert.

Alternatively 3 lines of vague description, a grainy pic and it’ll still make 90% of what it would on a forum classifies in mint condition with a good advert.

lunge

Total cost of bike not including any upgrades (note, if said bike has been heavily discounted that total cost may need to be amended to the discounted cost), minus 50%, minus another 10% for every year of age, plus or minus a bit depending on condition.

Example.
    £1000 bike, 1 year old, good condition, £450 ish.

bigblackshed

Pick a starting price. Keep dropping it until it sells. That’s the value of it.

Just after Christmas is really not the time to be selling a bike. Wait until just before Easter would be my advice.

escrs
    Free Member

List only on £1 final value fee weekends (this weekend is one) that way whatever it sells for you only pay £1 final value fee plus whatever the PayPal fee is

Put on buy it now auction for what you think it is worth with a best offer option for 30 days

Wait till people make you an offer and see if your happy with what they are offering, if not then hit them back with a counter offer, i always go for somewhere between what the buy it now price is and what the have offered, if they accept then happy days you got what your happy to take and they got it for a price they are happy with, if not then the listing stays on ebay till the 30 days is up so other people can make offers

This is how i sell everything on ebay, just sold a frame like this, buy it now was £1300 with a best offer option, buyer came in with a £1075 offer, i counter offered with £1200 inc p+p and they accepted

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pricing a second hand bike.’ is closed to new replies.