Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • pricing a bike…… help
  • ton

been offered a nice ebike. 12 month old. price new was 5.5k.
    it is in good condition.
    just wondering what would be a fair price. seller is a friend of a family member and doesnt have much idea so as asked me to make a offer. and i am a fair bloke and dont want to take advantage.

binman

Try checking prices of sold bikes on eBay for a guide ?

sandboy

What is the deal with warranty for the motor? For me, this would be the most important factor if buying a 2nd hand ebike.

lunge

Old fashioned way used to half the cheapest price it could have been bought new minus an extra 10% per year of age, so £2500 ish.
    But, if it was an eBike I’d want to pay less than that if the warranty didn’t transfer. That’s the key bit of info to help find a price.

dyna-ti

£2500 ish.

£2.5K for a 12 month old £5.5K bike

Ouch.

I’d say at least £3.5K. But depends somewhat how much use its had.

If Ebike, then again about the same, maybe £4K My Ebike was £5K, and ive had it since August last year. No way i’d accept about £4K for it. Maybe £3600 at a push.

argee

Nobodies selling a 5.5k ebike for less than 2.5k after a year, best thing to do is look at the main selling areas, so ebay, emtb, etc, then check that against the condition of the bike, so what is the battery health, how worn is the drivetrain, etc.

The whole motor thing is a bit of a red herring, you can get most ebike motors fully serviced for 200 quid or so (some less than that), about the same as you’d pay for a full service on a full sus frame with bearing kit, that would be a similar full bearing replacement as well.

kayak23

Yeah I’d say around 4-4.5 depending on condition and mateyness.

doomanic

What is it? Some brands have transferable warranties, some don’t. AFAIK, Spesh is the only brand where the warranty transfers in full. Trek’s used to but they changed it a while ago. Cube, Haibike, Lapierre don’t transfer at all and they are not the only ones. Technically, the component warranty is with the component manufacturer, so as long as you have the original receipt the motor and battery should be covered if it’s a Bosch, no idea about Giant Sync-drive and Shimano seem to be doing their utmost to refuse warranty to all claimants, even the original purchaser…

Bosch, Giant/Yamaha and Brose/Spesh can all be repaired by third parties but Shimano seems to have so many random sensor failures (that aren’t available to the third party repairers) that most won’t touch them.

I put my (working) Rail away in November when I bought my KSL. When I got it out to clean up for sale in late February it no longer worked and was out of warranty. Performanceline Bearings sorted it for the princely sum of £197 plus shipping. It’s as good as new now and a good deal quieter than when I stopped using it.

HobNob
    Free Member

Old fashioned way used to half the cheapest price it could have been bought new minus an extra 10% per year of age, so £2500 ish.
    But, if it was an eBike I’d want to pay less than that if the warranty didn’t transfer. That’s the key bit of info to help find a price.

Pretty sure this the only place I’ve been heard this ‘theory’ used. Safe to say, I’ve never used it, or sold a bike even pre supply chain issues, even remotely close to as cheap as that should suggest.

doomanic

It sounds like the sort of “theory” you’d use when buying rather than selling.

coconut
    Free Member

I would guess around £3,500 to £3,800.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.