Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • Prey
  • jonnyboi

Enjoyed it, some of the CGI was slightly ropey but overall worth a watch.

Kryton57

I enjoyed it, but a missed opportunity IMO by playing to the formula.

There was an opportunity for more of the wonderful scenery, and I wondered if a longer deeper look into Comanche life by slowing the pace in a kind of Dances with Wolves style piece may have added more interest and mystique. The French hunters were too abruptly introduced IMO.

Perhaps a balance of Comanche life with the naturalist background with the hunters starting to impact their life, and then subtly people on both sides go missing leading to the intro to the predator have been better.

Worth pointing out to some people that by the time of he final scene (for the predator) he’d been wounded quite a few times, and exhausted a lot of his weaponary. Comanche were known to be fierce and brave warriors using stealth, guile and speed to overcome a larger enemy based on their need to defend/hunt lions and bears, and to capture horses for trade, which I thought the hunting scenes were trying to portray.

Caher

Watched last night, very good and I wasn’t an enthusiastic fan of the original.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    argee

The Comanche were the biggest letdown, that warrior party reminded me more of stereotypical jocks from teen movies, they even had the accent, it was certainly no dances with wolves style realism!

The scenery was the best bit, again, it was an hour and a half of brain off action stuff, nothing more.

tpbiker
    Free Member

and I wondered if a longer deeper look into Comanche life by slowing the pace in a kind of Dances with Wolves style piece may have added more interest and mystique.

That’s would have been a truely terrible idea. It’s a predator movie, not a 4 hr Kevin Costner epic

Enjoyed it, however the bit where the girl starts fighting the predator one on one was just daft. It’s just ripped a bear in 2 ffs…

Caher

The Comanche were the biggest letdown

So how should they have been portrayed? This was supposed to 1719 where very little evidence of their culture exists.

argee

So how should they have been portrayed? This was supposed to 1719 where very little evidence of their culture exists.

As i said previously, bit less US High School theme, probably less of the clean cut as well all round, i’d read stuff prior that said this movie was going to be using the language and so on, guess that was somebody that had watched Apocalypto instead 😂

Kryton57

i’d read stuff prior that said this movie was going to be using the language and so on,

It is, there’s two versions & you can watch both.

dyna-ti

Watched it last night. Deffo a good watch and a new direction the franchise has gone. Away with the usual USA guns guns guns and cliche’d one liners

funkmasterp

Enjoyed it, however the bit where the girl starts fighting the predator one on one was just daft. It’s just ripped a bear in 2 ffs…

It hadn’t been shot in the head, torso, arms, legs and had a spear chucked through it when it fought the bear. Poor predator took a bit of a beating in between and was probably knackered. I also think it massively underestimated her too.

argee

It hadn’t been shot in the head, torso, arms, legs and had a spear chucked through it when it fought the bear. Poor predator took a bit of a beating in between and was probably knackered.

Yeah, he was a bit of a shit predator, also got bitten by a wolf.

I also think it massively underestimated her too.

I don’t think anyone had a chance to underestimate her, she beat and killed everyone with minimal fuss, even the 7ft predator, she was more of a predator than the predator, i don’t even think she had a hair out of place at the end!

Caher

“Clean cut” – got a feeling that Native Americans weren’t known for their beards!

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah, he was a bit of a shit predator, also got bitten by a wolf

Ryan Airey on Screencrush makes the point that it looks like it’s the predator’s first hunt- one of many parallels between it and Naru. I also liked that fact that this happened 200 years ago, so (unlike Star Wars!) there has probably been as much technological advancement amongst the aliens as there has been here

argee

“Clean cut” – got a feeling that Native Americans weren’t known for their beards!

Clean cut as in the whole setup, not facial hair!

Ryan Airey on Screencrush makes the point that it looks like it’s the predator’s first hunt

Wasn’t that the case for most of the predator movies, they’re doing their rights of passage on earth to gain their mark?

tpbiker
    Free Member

The 200 years of tech Advancment doesn’t wash for me

The predator has travelled in a spacecraft, has invisibility tech, weird flying bomb thingies, but no lasers??

Also I agree, he was a shit predator compared with the fella in the first film. Going back to the earlier analogy about fat Americans big game hunting, I suspect back on his home planet the predator in the latest film was probably a dentist…

funkmasterp

I suspect back on his home planet the predator in the latest film was probably a dentist…

He did have a lovely set of mandibles.

I think the Predators match weapons to the prey. So no lasers as there were no equivalents like in the first movie. Assault rifles, chain guns etc. Probably why it stuck to darts, spears and bladed weapons.

It could’ve just lasered Arnie’s face off in the first movie rather than disabling its weapons. To anyone complaining about Naru beating it in a straight fight my only answer is a 43 year old Danny Glover. Overweight, out of shape guy, constantly sweating and with a stoop had a fist fight with one.

shermer75
    Free Member

Wasn’t that the case for most of the predator movies, they’re doing their rights of passage on earth to gain their mark

Yep, it might be!

shermer75
    Free Member

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I also liked that fact that this happened 200 years ago, so (unlike Star Wars!) there has probably been as much technological advancement amongst the aliens as there has been here

Again: AVP had Predators thousands of years back when Antarctica was ice free.

Do you simply ignore bits and just claim they aren’t Canon?

kimbers

I’m pretty relaxed about ignoring the AVP films

zilog6128

Yeah, they’re sufficiently terrible that I’m perfectly happy to Highlander II them 😀

Prey was very watchable.

shermer75
    Free Member

Do you simply ignore bits and just claim they aren’t Canon?

Yep

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dumbasses! This is real and important!
    … oh, wait…

fossy

Enjoyed it, better than some recent films – don’t mention Spiderhead.

PS wasn’t as good as the new Minions !

Will agree with the CGI animals – looked a bit ‘cheap’.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think the Predators match weapons to the prey. So no lasers as there were no equivalents like in the first movie. Assault rifles, chain guns etc. Probably why it stuck to darts, spears and bladed weapons.

So he cheated with flying bombs and his invisiblity tech then?? Poor show from Mr Predator if that’s the case, and glad he got his comeuppance

Also as other have pointed out, for a Disney film there was a fair amount of gore!

shermer75
    Free Member

Dumbasses! This is real and important!
    … oh, wait…

Haha! 😄

eddiebaby
    Free Member

🙂

funkmasterp

Poor show from Mr Predator if that’s the case, and glad he got his comeuppance

I actually started to feel sorry for the intergalactic dentist. Took a proper beatdown in the third act. Even the dog got in on the action 😂

colournoise

Even the dog got in on the action

Anyone else spend most of the film thinking ‘this is the dog’s last scene surely?’ while totally hoping it wasn’t in case the room got suddenly dusty?

funkmasterp

Yep 😊

sirromj

This sounds like it might be quite funny to watch. Is it better than a Bruce Willis film from the past two years?

funkmasterp

It’s really good in my opinion. Up there with the first one and beautifully shot

argee

It could’ve just lasered Arnie’s face off in the first movie rather than disabling its weapons. To anyone complaining about Naru beating it in a straight fight my only answer is a 43 year old Danny Glover. Overweight, out of shape guy, constantly sweating and with a stoop had a fist fight with one.

You know Danny Glover was in pretty good shape in the 80s and early 90s, he just wore a baggy shirt, he’s also 6ft 4″ tall, Naru was played by someone who is 5ft 5″ and half the weight of Glover.

Not that this should actually matter though, the predator is a 7ft destroyer and had single punched a bear to death, thrown french folk like ragdolls and had a toy for every occasion, it’s just in the final act Naru absolutely destroyed it, without so much as a bloody nose for her, you never really felt like she was in any real danger throughout the movie.

jekkyl

Anyone else feel a bit cringe about the indians having LA usa accents?

kimbers

There’s a Comanche language version too

Drac

I thought it wasn’t too bad. Visually it was absolutely stunning.

Yes the Predators fight reasonably fair, no pew pew lasers but did have guided arrows. They don’t kill randomly though they have to be a threat and armed

Anyone else feel a bit cringe about the indians having LA usa accents?

Did you want them to speak like they did in old western movies then?

funkmasterp

You know Danny Glover was in pretty good shape in the 80s and early 90s, he just wore a baggy shirt, he’s also 6ft 4″ tall,

I watched Predator 2 a few weeks back. He moves and acts like somebody’s grandad in it and he was only 43 at the time. They’re all mad sci-fi but he comes across as the least capable protagonist out of all the main films.

Get what you mean about Naru though. For two thirds of the film the Predator ignores her and by the time it sees her as any kind of threat it’s been utterly beaten to shit.

colournoise

For two thirds of the film the Predator ignores her and by the time it sees her as any kind of threat it’s been utterly beaten to shit.

Which is why the film might be better (if still heavy handedly) written than we’re giving it credit for? Still a bit dodgy overlaying modern sensibilities onto an archaic, non-European culture…

(if I still taught Media Studies it would genuinely be an interesting text to look at)

Cool to see others enjoying its visuals. I think on reflection that’s what surprised and pleased me most about it – a pretty generic action movie with a beautiful indie / arthouse visual sensibility. Fantastic use of natural light at times.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Not that this should actually matter though, the predator is a 7ft destroyer and had single punched a bear to death,

And connected a couple of good shots on Naru in the final fight that didn’t leave a mark on her.

The caked in mud IR invisibility equivalent of the botanical that her lowered body temp didn’t convince either. When she gave it to the Commanche and Frenchman it knocked them out yet she could take a dose of it and remain upright as the Predator walked right by her.

All in all I was underwhelmed by it.

mrdestructo

I’d have loved to have watched this one in a cinema. The cinematography in the wilds was great. Reminded me of the thrill the first time I shoved my Insta360 One Rs footage in my TV. Audio cranked right up would have been an experience too.

As it was, at home on a 54″ 4k TV and bassy bookshelf speakers only hinted at the experience it could have been.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.