Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Preventing arms being shaken to death
  • isitafox
    Free Member

Currently running the standard Raceface Ride bar and stem combo on my Jamis Dakar but it feels really stiff and at the end of not even a long decent my arms feel like jelly.
    I was planning on swapping the bars for some Renthal carbons at some point anyway but was told the other day that it could be down to the 35mm clamp size.
    Anyone suffer the same problem?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Could it be a fitness and/or technique issue rather than the bars ?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

More likely to be your fork settings?

mashr

35mm stuff is known for this, I’ve just picked up a bike with 35mm bars and stem too and also not loving the front end. I’m about to change the fork a bit, but I still reckon the bars are going to feel overly stiff afterwards

onehundredthidiot

Grip too tight?
    A looser grip will take the tension out of your arms, reducing the jarring.

welshfarmer

Heard a few peeps moan about this with 35s and have gone back to “normal bars”. A more expensive/bling solution might be to give Rev Grips a try

joebristol

I found this with 35mm raceface bars that came on my Bird Aeris. I swapped them out for Planet X El guapo 35mm bars and the whole thing is much more comfortable.

Not sure if that means they have more flex or I just get on better with the sweep etc. Really cheap (much cheaper than fancy Renthal bars).

What forks does that Jamis come with too? If cheap Rockshox you might find it’s crude damping which is spiking.

I’ve also found an improvement when I swapped out the moco damper in my Yaris for a Charger 2 damper from a Lyrik.

isitafox
    Free Member

I do bike trials as well so I’m used to taking the shock of big drops and stuff.
    Forks are Recon SRL’s which I’m hoping to swap out at some point as they’re 100mm quick release so the front end is a bit flexy.

matt_outandabout

I would look at other things too – tyre pressure? Fork actually moving and plush? You holding on too tightly?

joebristol

Those forks aren’t the best – but most cost effective things to change are air pressure in your front the (are you tubeless / running low pressure), air pressure in the forks then bars and grips.

With my front tyre I’m running a 2.5wt Maxxis on one bike and a 2.4 chunky monkey on the other but they might not fit through your recon. Either way if you aren’t tubeless I’d go that way and run something like 20-25 psi in the front tyre (I tend to run 25 in the rear but lower on the front for grip).

I’ve already commented on the bars – but I’d change the fork before spending anything like £100 on a fancy handlebar.

Is the fork setup as best you can – sensible sag / I’m not sure if you have compression damping adjustment on there? If you have make sure you’re not running too much compression.

prawny

Is it the bigger or smaller stuff that’s wrecking your arms? If it’s the little ripples (it is with mine, hands are tingling for hours after a ride) then fork setup and tyre pressure would be my first port of call, then grips, then bars last.

I dropped the pressure in my forks 2psi on my last ride, it helped a lot. Although it was riding lower than I’d like. Might need to get a longer shaft and a charger damper when funds allow.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve found that certain 35mm bars are uncomfortable, even through a 150mm fork. The only one I’ve found to be comfortable is an Easton Haven carbon. I’ve switched to 31.8mm Answer Carbon DH bars on my hardtail and the improvement is noticable.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Always start by changing the cheapest thing first. What’s your front tyre pressure? If you can get away with dropping a couple of psi, might fix it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

16stonepig
    Free Member

I was a sceptic initially, but I can totally recommend Spank’s vibrocore bars – cheaper than carbon, and a really nice damping effect.
    I know it’s not placebo, because I came back from a ride one day utterly baffled as to why my arms were feeling so fresh. I had completely forgotten that I’d fitted the new bars a few days earlier. I am that clever.

yoshimi

Try slowing rebound a couple of clicks

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

above: plenty good hints!
    Could be all…

But yes – sounds like the 35 mm clamp size is able to create some pain…
    Often in combination with tyre / fork.
    Very stiff bars transfer the high frequency stuff from tyres+fork.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Press ups

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Vibrocore bars are working for me – stop me getting hand cramps and buzz/tingling.

But do try the fork and tyre pressures first – they’re free!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

has 760mm 35mm raceface next and they seem fine, is the fork set up well, tyre pressure and grip,

you should hold your bars like a pint of beer, tight enough not to drop it and not too tight or your beer will get warm or crack the glass..
    oh and dont forget to breath out..

isitafox
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips, as for the grip strength and press ups there’s no problem on that front believe me 😂

Dropped some pressure from the front and took a few clicks off the rebound when I went out round Hayfield and Kinder yesterday and seemed a lot better. Gonna look at going tubeless when I sort a new front wheel out to allow a better pressure at the front but also I’m still probably going to change the bars for something with a bit more rise as currently feels like I’m quite biased towards the front anyway!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Preventing arms being shaken to death’ is closed to new replies.