Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Pretty tough late 90s Madchester indie music question
  • brant
    Free Member

a difficult trip home from the wrong side of town on Sunday mornning.

I got piles from sitting on a cold paving stone!

Harry_the_Spider

Way off topic… but I remember when you had to walk back from Marsden after a night of disappointment with a girl who had a head that looked like an orange.

I still smile about that 20 years later. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought World of Twist or the High – then somebody said Paris Angels and I now reckon it's them he means.

It's probably not Flowered Up, but I thought I'd mention them anyway while we're getting all nostalgic.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

New Fast Automatic Daffodils?

Harry_the_Spider

Somebody should make a playlist of all of the tunes mentioned.

robh

Any thing on here help

RoterStern
    Free Member

Not Shed 7 by any chance was it?

Harry_the_Spider

Doing the Do by ACR perhaps?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Wow – robh – I think it could well be Sp!n (spin) but can anyone help me see if any of their tunes are on Youtube?

Thanks!!!

Oh – I would go back to the shop but am not planning any more trips to Plymouth where the shop was. If anyone lives in Plymouth it's the spots shop near Debenhams, maybe called Size?

Ta 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

Gaye Bykers on Acid RULE.

Harry_the_Spider

I saw Gaye Bikers once.

There were more people on stage than in the audience… and there were only 4 of them on stage.

chakaping
    Free Member

World of Twist get a mention in St Etienne's London Belongs to Me actually.

Been listening to their second LP So Tough a lot lately and it's a forgotten masterpiece.

Ah, memories.

snowslave

So Tough is a great album!

Simon. I am absolutely sure it wasn't the Skol Bandaleros, but if anyone else on here remembers them I will glow with happiness all weekend.

mt
    Free Member

snowslave – Member
    So Tough is a great album!

Simon. I am absolutely sure it wasn't the Skol Bandaleros, but if anyone else on here remembers them I will glow with happiness all weekend.

Ha you are showing your age, would it be the Ritz or the Venue that I saw them? It's all so long ago and a bit fuzzy now. You may glow.

snowslave

Ah, <sits back with happy glow radiating from all orrifices>

this forum really can dig out anything!

They weren't madchester but they were mad for sure

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

if it was in the 90,s could it have been the "seahorses" not to be confused with mark and lards the shirehorses. or slim and shady the two squirrels. -_-

matthew_h
    Free Member

I reckon it sounds like it was probably one of the later mixes of You Got the Love by The Source and Candi Staton. I'm sure one of the crapper remixes featured loads of violins and stuff

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Don't just rely on youtube, mate.

Try a dedicated music site, where the context is certain, like last.fm, or that other one…….Spotify.

Happy hunting.

lister

Airhead?

Anyone got Boing on CD they can lend me? I've only got a tape and it's in poor condition…

simonralli2
    Free Member

Mt

Yeah – I used to go to the Ritz on a Tuesday for student night. I saw the chalatans first at the Poly when their first single came out, and then at Rock City.

I also used to go to Kool Kat raving, and then Bounce at various clubs. I also ran some raves called Whooosh at the Uni where I was on the student social committee.

As for the tune I am seeking, it wasnt background violins, but the violin seemed to be being used almost like a lead guitar. It was an instrumental track, a little moody almost and I was surprised to hear the age as it sounded quite modern.

snowslave

It was the other side of midnight by yargo maybe?

mt
    Free Member

simonralli2 – Member

Oh yes Tuesday night at the Ritz. It was suposed to be student night but as I recall it was full of gits like me and loads of sixth formers getting depressed on The Cure.

Harry_the_Spider

De Villes on a Saturday night anyone?

Monday at the Ritz was a good one too. Mashed out of your face on £1 Pils and flattened by a Psycho-Billy to the theme from 633 Squadron.

snowslave

I was a Monday night attendee. Also berlins on a fri or sat. Mahoosive psychobilly quiff….

snowslave

Yargo – the other side of midnight. No violins, but moody, and a blimmin marvellous toon

Harry_the_Spider

Remember this and this?

Feeling old now.

snowslave

Oh yes – did some temp roadying for them at International 1 I think? Harry, I probably flattened you on a Monday night! 😉

Harry_the_Spider

I was a 15 stone rugby player then. You would have bounced off.

633 Squadron was the last tune at my wedding. We all ran round the dance floor!

jwt
    Free Member

I was probably at 'the rave(s) in the cave'(s) at Tilberthwaite during all of this, but unfortunatly don't seem able to recall much……..

munkster
    Free Member

Has the OP been resolved yet? Can't quite work out if yes or no!

If not my proposition is "Sandkings" who were more black country than Madchester but hey. Their album "Welcome to England" always seemed to be fairly overlooked (ie. good) but then the singer went on to do the Babylon Zoo thing didn't he…?

snowslave

My moneys on Yargo now! 😉

RustySpanner

Hmm, memories………

Monday – The Ritz with Dave Gannon.

Tuesday – The Banshee for cheap Vodka night, or if trying to pull students 5th Ave, 42nd Street (Then known as The Playpen?), Berlin or DeVilles.

Wednesday – see Tuesday.

Thursday – Banshee, then Jilly's, get hand stamped then flit between them.

Friday – See Thursday. Also the Hacienda, or if got knocked back, Berlin, The Venue or (later)the Brickhouse. Possibly Band on The Wall for Reggae night – Red Stripe, DJ Lorraine, free weed and the delightful Horace on the door. The Conti for Nurses.

Saturday. The Banshee or Jilly's if with mates – The Hacienda if with a dressy up kind of girl, Band on the Wall, the Gallery or The Boardwalk if she was a scruff like you.

Sunday – That club at the top of the escalators at the Royal Northern
    College of Music – anyone remember it's name?

That's why I now have the body of a 60 year old. 😀

As for the OP, my money's on Shack.

Harry_the_Spider

The Conti!

How the hell did that place get a fire safety certificate?

Nobody has so far mentioned the king of Manchester night spots… The Granby!

RustySpanner

The Granby! (shudders).

Nasty, nasty little pub. Always used to be full of Neanderthal City Fans – lovely undercurrent of violence on a Saturday Night, but handy for the delightful Kebab 'Shop' over the road – which like Mr Ben's outfitters only ever appeared at the weekend.

snowslave

I preferred thew Granby to the Conti any day! That kebab shop sold pink chilly sauce which always seemed to seep out and coat my clothes like napalm.

I still think it's Yargo.

Bunnyhop

I've been away and really, really have missed STW, the above thread is why.

Lol. at Harry and Brant.

Thanks for the memories chaps.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Anyone here remember the Konspiracy? Now there was a club.

juiced
    Free Member

everyone should listen to this :-).indie dance. Maybe this is the tune? The Album is awesome too.

Could be Saint Eteinne too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

One of my school pals Justin Crawford was bass guitarist in the New Fads

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Maybe the tune was James – Sound?

Or may have been 'The Beloved'- they were quite a ravey indie band of the time.

So many good memories… Joe Bloggs flares, Acid tops, Reni hats, Kickers, Hacienda, Boardwalk, Konspiracy, Ritzy, Raves, Floppy fringed hair cuts and of course all the bands doing it for themselves! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Pretty tough late 90s Madchester indie music question’ is closed to new replies.