Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • pretty people do better than ugly people….
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m sure i remember a study being published a long time ago about how attractive people do better in business and other such stuff, can anybody remember it?

yes there’s good examples of ugly millionaires, but the study seemed pretty conclusive unless i’m remembering it wrong….

do you think its easier to get ahead if you’re attractive? without being mysonogystic it seems that way for wimminz, is this changing as things become more equal or are we moving into a time where men now have to be attractive too?

Trimix
    Free Member

*runs off to check face in mirror and compare with bank balance*

oddjob
    Free Member

There is also a link between height and earnings

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    camo16
    Free Member

I must be an exception. Tall, devilishly handsome and on totally crap wages. 👿

richmtb

I think there has been a few studies on attractiveness versus success and height versus success.

I’m a bit of a short arse but my mother says I’m handsome so I should be okay!

atlaz
    Free Member

I think there’s a link between scientists needing funding and sensationalist studies that get attention

DezB
    Free Member

do you think its easier to get ahead if you’re attractive?

Not in this company – But it does help if you’re prepared to lick every arse that passes your way. *not bitter*

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its not height or beauty, but the ability to fawn to those above and stand on those below that get you success in life.
    “Only cream and bastards rise”.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ok, you’re a big company and you need directors and managers that dazzle the other companies you want to work with…. most of those companies have male staff that you’ll be dealing with, do you promote the hot blonde with some business sense and the proven ability to get what she wants out of male colleagues, or the 64yr old gran who might know her stuff better than the younger blonde but she’s not going to attract the other company’s male workforce in the same way? (you can of course swap hot blonde for ‘male model type’ and the scenario still works)

virgin airways are well known amongst the airline staff for being incredibly harsh on how attractive their cabin staff have to look.

promotions agencies are always after attractive people to have on the front line.

bars will purposely hire good looking staff.

the entertainment industry is a clear examples of looks over talent.

height vs earnings doesn’t surprise me in the same way, taller people have more presence in the room and a natural air of authority and knowledge.

Stoner
    Free Member

It appears that bitterness seems to concentrate in gopping midgets.

Stoner
    6’4″ of handsome mintiness.

philconsequence
    Free Member

now deadlydarcy is well known for being an attractive fellow, but he’s also short…. so i predict for him… success, but on a limited level.

according to mr deadlydarcy, Stoner is indeed a tall epically handsome chap… so for him…. success and riches.

soobalias
    Free Member

oh, it would appear that i am shorter and uglier than i thought i was then.

philconsequence
    Free Member

short and ugly you say? i predict…. benefits and no teeth by the age of 50.

scuzz
    Free Member

First, let’s define ‘success’ 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

First born versus second etc apparently – but I will debate this vigorously!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

success in business, not success in the wealth a loving family and friends can provide.

maccruiskeen

Theres probably something in how people feel its their place to do something. Perhaps more attractive people succeed in their endevours because they feel its right for them to try. By the same measure you could look at the percentage of people in government who are ex-etonians or the top tier bbc employees who are ex-oxbridge. I’m not aware that either oxford or cambridge are offering degrees in media studies. But those people have no reservations in putting themselves forward for those roles.

Where there are bars to success the barrier can be two sided – if you look at equality for womens pay: There was a study where a senior job was advertised twice – one advert with a £30k pay packet and another with the same job and person spec but a £50k pay packet. Plenty of women applied for the first, non even enquired for the latter.

philconsequence
    Free Member

^good point!

scuzz
    Free Member

Let’s assume that people are imperfect and judge others on appearance. At the level of getting a job, HR tends to be staffed by women. Attractive women may therefore be less likely to be offered a job. Attractive men may be more likely to be offered a job. This was the finding of one study (Ruffle & Shtudiner) although the experiment was done with pictures attached to CVs, [The causality I’ve implied came from the Economist].
    Business is people & people like pretty people!

scud
    Free Member

There is a stat that something like 74% of the FTSE 100 bosses are 6 foot plus.

camo16
    Free Member

How pretty and tall are you, Phil? 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

Business is people & people like pretty people!

that’s what i figured 🙂

‘ohhhh he’s got a nice face, lets give him a job’
    ‘ohhh she’s got some great… ahem… assets, lets give her a job’

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im 6’5″ of ugly bitterness. 😐

camo16
    Free Member

‘ohhh she’s got some great… ahem… assets, lets give her a job’

This ^^^^

Once did bar work in a banqueting suite. I cleared £2 ish in tips per night and I like to think I’m quite pretty ( 8O). The two skinny blondes, who knew what they were doing – bending low to take orders – cleared £50 and more each night.

Also worked for an investment company for a while. My boss was female, reasonably pretty and endowed ( * coughs *). Believe me, it wasn’t her brains or capabilities that got her promoted.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

People like people who are like themselves. Recruitment is largely about finding “clones”.

binners

How’s Horas penis doing financially. Apparently its a thing of awe-inspiring beauty

philconsequence
    Free Member

camo, i’ve got girly wrists and a small jaw, big spurting grey hairs in my eyebrows and a nipple hair on the left that likes to grow to a fair old length longer than the others, unmanageable hair, wonky bottom teeth, stretch marks from being a lot fatter when i was younger and the constant yo-yo-ing of my weight since then, an old birthmark that has faded under my chin means beard growth is patchy and the skin looks weird in photo’s… i wear clothes that dont fit well cos i can’t get over the ‘hiding my body with baggy clothes’ thing and i’m constantly intimidated by the ever increasing number of men that look like they’ve stepped out of a catalogue with the gym bodies, expensive haircuts, up-to-date fashion choices and designer stubble.

but i am 6ft tall so i predict a similar level of success to deadly darcy as we’re opposites, him short but sexy, me tall but weird.

patriotpro
    Free Member

still wondering what

wimminz

is/are ❓

philconsequence
    Free Member

they’re a type of white fish, tasty with butter and garlic i’m told.

peterfile
    Free Member

heh, i wonder how many STW IT consultants got their jobs based on how beautiful they are 🙂

I thought being ugly was a prerequisite to a sucessful career in IT?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m exceptionally good looking*, fit, healthy and 5.11″ which should just put me under the 74% of Corp Bosses index above, which on the whole is actually not too far away from the truth. Success shouldn’t be measured in pure monetary wealth terms but the whole lifestyle, which again puts me way up the scale. I do seem to fit the mould Mr newly married PhillyC puts forward.

I suspect there are a good few on here that fit the mould too, yet seem to lack the confidence to agree.

Wiminz.. erm I know of quite a few stunningly beautiful but thick and utterly dumb wiminz in business, but they are not the ones who have the top jobs, it’s the ugly fat ones that wear Louis Vitton scalves that sit in those (increasingly tight) seats.

*no, seriously I am, MWA xxx.

D0NK

There is a stat that something like 74% of the FTSE 100 bosses are 6 foot plus.

yes but 6′ isn’t tall tho is it? It’s just not short

Believe me, it wasn’t her brains or capabilities that got her promoted

you don’t need to be clever or capable to claim other’s success, slag your colleagues and fawn over you superiors. Self promotion and weaselling your way up the ladder just needs a complete lack of scruples, very little intelligence needed, I guess being an object of desire doesn’t harm your chances either.

camo16
    Free Member

I guess being an object of desire doesn’t harm your chances either.

It never fails to amaze me what undoing an extra button on a blouse can achieve.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i think being an object of desire makes it easier to learn those skills tbh…

agreed on 6ft not being tall, just being ‘not short’

i used to feel tall when i was younger, but there’s so many more tall people around nowadays!

confidence is sexy, its easier to be confident when people tell you your sexy, confidence is key in business…. but largely to do with upbringing/parenting, hence the oxbridge crowd maybe and why you get the odd short ugly anomalies to the general rule?

samuri
    Free Member

It’s not about height or prettiness. It’s about hair.

Going bald? You’re going to struggle I’m afraid.

BTW, my boss who sits on the board of a FTSE100 company is about 4’10”. She’s got plenty of hair though.

Of course, our CEO is about 6’2″. Full head of hair.

samuri
    Free Member

It never fails to amaze me what undoing an extra button on a blouse can achieve.

When I tried this I got tried for sexual harrassment. I was only trying to help her advance.

philconsequence
    Free Member

*runs fingers through my full head of hair*

i feel a promotion coming on 😀

couldn’t we class a full head of hair as part of being attractive though? being disabled (missing arms, severe mental health problems, wearing glasses, baldness) isn’t an excuse for not achieving if you’ve got confidence, determination and a winning set of boobs.

samuri
    Free Member

That’s a good point phil. I mean I’ve got two arms but I’ve certainly got mental health problems, wear glasses and am going bald and I really have to fight to get on in life despite having the body of a greek god.

binners

It depends who you work for. And if you’re prepared to fully exploit it to what level

I used to work in a company run by lecherous American sleazebags. An admittedly very attractive girl I once worked with used to seem to forget to get dressed the morning of important meetings with the powers that be.

She was consistently promoted, despite being utterly and completely useless, monumentally lazy, and universally loathed by everyone she worked with, on account of being an absolute bitch

SiB
    Free Member

None of the above height/age/hair/attractiveness findings apply to the public sector. Fact. Go up the ladder in public sector and you leave all the devilishly good looking, cheeky, tall, full head of hair and good sense of humour people behind. Fact.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘pretty people do better than ugly people….’ is closed to new replies.