Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • presto or shraeder
  • aw
    Free Member

I have fur bikes – two MTBs, one road and one cyclocross.

They all have different tubes – Shraeder and Presto therefore meaning different pumps spare tubes etc…

I would like to go to one or the other – which one is best?

TBH I am leaning towards the car type or Shraeder as they seem more robust!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Presta = gay

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Problem with shraeder is they have no lockring…harder to get the pump on when flat. Only reason i use presta.

theboatman
    Free Member

I use presta, just because I always have, and I’m happy with man lovein’ 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Will you get Schraeder-valved tubes in road-bike sizes??

I use Presta on everything. It’s a bike, not a tractor.

aw
    Free Member

Shraeder I more robust and more flexible. you can use car type pumping devices like foot pumps on them.

I got Shraeder on my cyclocross 700c wheels so yes you can get them for road tyres.

Never had a problem with not having a lock ring TBH

Presto seem so flimsy and easy to bend!

druidh
    Free Member

aw – Member

Presto seem so flimsy and easy to bend!

Only if you’re ham-fisted

theboatman
    Free Member

YES 😈 and one of them has to be better!!

JoB
    Free Member

as you’re pretty much stuck with presta valves for the road and CX bikes it makes sense to go presta for the mtbs as well
    if you’re bending presta valves you’re doing something wrong

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Schraeder are a lot less fiddly when it’s bastard cold, and you can’t feel your fingers. And when it’s dark.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you’re bending presta valves you’re doing something wrong

yeah, fitting fragile shite to your bike :o)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL! 😆

I have fur bikes

Real fur, or faux-fur? Certainly not Fox-fur, I hope, or I’ll get PETA down on you!

JoB
    Free Member

a poor workman….

😉

colnagokid

PrestA here, you dont need the annoying little lock rings either! Sling ’em.
    Last bike I had schraeder valves on was a Kawasaki KR1S

Drac

. you can use car type pumping devices like foot pumps on them.

Just like presta then.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

PRESTA COS I LIKE IT
    ps nice to see rude boys still enjoying mocking people,s slight errors must be great to be so sure

miketually
    Free Member

Schraeder for cars, motorbikes and kids bikes*. Presta for bikes. Like Jo said, you’ll struggle to get schraeder tubes for your road and cx bikes so you might as well go presta all round.

*Can you get kidie-size tubes with presta valves? My schraeder pump is on the way out and it’d be cheaper to replace the kiddie tubes than buy another pump. Could be a good excuse to get a track pump that’ll do both though.

pcb
    Free Member

Presta here, never bent or broken a valve in years of riding.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

presta everytime.

uplink
    Free Member

You see one of these here Presta dust caps?

Well just cut it down to where the shoulder is & you have a valve that can be used with a foot-pump, garage air machine etc.

julianwilson
    Free Member

oh and FWIW, Nokian always used to do schraeder tubes with little lockrings on them. I bought a few in 2003-ish. They also claim to fit a greater ranger of tyre sizes. No idea if they still make them like that though.

But presta here. I have ‘smart heads’ on both track pump and mini pump.

Whatsit
    Free Member

Presta here too, never had a problem with them.

thomthumb
    Free Member

no matter what tubes i buy, i will always end up with one of each on my mtb – it just refuses not to be shonky!

crazy-legs

Presta everytime. It used to save changing pump heads around depending on inflating a road or MTB tyre, doesn’t matter as much now cos the pump has a smarthead thing. But presta is still better.

lunge

Presta for me, i find them easier to use then t’other type.

jfb01
    Free Member

They only advantage of Schraedr valves is the valve core can be removed to inject sealing fluids.
    Having said that Schwalebe make a Presta tube with removeable valve core so its Presta for me too.

nickc

I think more folk use Presta, for me it makes more sense to use them, as then, everyone’s pump will fit everyones inner tubes (when you ride as a group)

naokfreek
    Free Member

Schraeder, presta are a pain in the arse, have lock rings on all my schraeder tubes…

firestarter
    Free Member

i just asked the little one she prefers the valves on her bike 😉

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

thats a cool little bike!!!

needs presta tubes though 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

lol , its just a little too big for her but she’s getting there 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I think more folk use Presta, for me it makes more sense to use them, as then, everyone’s pump will fit everyones inner tubes (when you ride as a group)

You can get a presta valve into any rim too, so spare presta tubes are better.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Peregrine
    Free Member

Best of both worlds?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I prefer the fat ones myself, prestas are fine and dandy but the others fit the hole in the rim more pleasantly and mean you dont have to use little spacers and lockrings etc to stop them going all wonky. The problem with the shraeders is that they’re not long enough to go through my deep section rim (even the long ones only JUST get through) and that makes pumping painful. So like someone else above, I usually end up with one of each. But I usually carry a spare of each and my pump does both types, so no problems at all!

aracer
    Free Member

Can you get kidie-size tubes with presta valves?

Islabikes all come with presta valves – right down to the diddy 12" tubes on a Rothan.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘presto or shraeder’ is closed to new replies.