Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pressure in CX tyres
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I just about to pick up my 1st CX bike, it comes with 32mm clinchers. I weigh in at 80kg and will be riding it mainly on bridle ways, forest single track, towpaths etc.

What’s a good starting point for pressures in the tyres?

Anyway of making them more puncture resistant too? I run tubless on my MTB’s, is that an option – ghetto style?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use 80-90 psi on the Quantocks.

samuri
    Free Member

100psi in mine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    amplebrew

We’re running 90psi on our Crux with 33mm Tracer tyres.

JoB
    Free Member

about this much (squeeze)

pump them up really hard so that your teeth rattle out, when you get bored of that let some air out by degrees until you start to pinch puncture, add some more, that’s how much

wwaswas

I weigh about the same as you and run mine at 60psi for anythign off road.

They can be a bit ‘pingy’ on dry roots and stuff at higher pressures than that and bloomin’ lethal in the wet.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Depends. Are you a lump on the bike or not. Doesn’t matter what you put in them if you bang it around. However, if your light and nimble, you’ll get away with running lower pressure. It’s a bit of a compromise because if you do want to climb loose or technical stuff, you could drop it a little to get a bigger contact patch. If you’re on smooth and hard stuff all the time you’ll want harder tyres for speed.
    There’s such a broad window it’s no possible for someone to tell you what’s right unless they’re out watching you.

pixelmix
    Free Member

For bimbling around on part gravel / part tarmac commute, 35psi. For racing on muddy off camber courses, about 25psi.

Tubeless setup (Crest rims and regular CX tyres) and a skinny 5ft7 rider here.

Too many variables to say a precise PSI, but I highly recommend going tubeless and dropping a few psi if you want some grip on off camber muddy CX courses.

Can’t believe some of the PSIs above! I guess that is the price of running tubes.

jonba
    Free Member

30-60psi. 60 was good enough for the three peaks and any rocky stuff. 30 if I’m racing as grip normally becomes very important.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

35 – Maxxis Raze on Stans Iron Cross.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I think a tubeless kit will be going on in the near future, first ride = first thorn puncture 🙁

crikey
    Free Member

50-60 psi, did the 3 peaks, does the road, does the off road.

It’s less the price of running tubes, more about setting things up to do what you want them to do. Bimbling isn’t what my cross bike is for, and off camber courses are a special case. If I’m out for 30-40-50 miles, I’m not fannying about with spongy soft tyres.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my 35 psi raze run pretty well on the road, I think it is the central knob pattern, makes it run quite narrow on the road.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just been over Baildon Moor/Buck Woods on mine, 60psi. Felt about right.

vdubber67
    Free Member

30psi for racing on clincher tyres, but more for 3 peaks (50-60)

Some people must have no teeth left with the pressures above! 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Vdubber – if your riding on grass or a firetrack lower is fine but if your riding on rocky more technical stuff you need higher pressures or you would be getting pinch flats every 2 feet.

bol

I’ve found a reliable (so far) tyre/tube/puncture mix which was to buy the lightest, fastest tyres I could (won’t be riding it in the mud all that much) and put a Panaracer Kevlar tyre liner between tyre and tube. I’m running circa 80 psi on my commute, and 50ish for playing. I’m pretty new to this myself though, so don’t really know what I’m talking about.

senorj

I just bought some cheap shwalbe cx pro’s , which state a max pressure of 65 psi , I stick 75/80psi in at the moment. 🙂
    Tubes btw.
    Low pressures are more pleasant on rooty off road but I don’t want to wallow about on the road either.

john_l
    Free Member

35/40 psi for most stuff, lower on grassy fields. Happy at that pressure on the road too. Tubeless Vittoria XGs & Open Pros.

tomd
    Free Member

Maxxis Raze here, I’m a little heavier than you. They said 75psi max, so I tried 65 to start and have worked down from there. 50ish seems good for all round use, and I adjust up or down depending on the terrain. Tempted by tubeless for off road.

simon1975

I just bought some cheap shwalbe cx pro’s , which state a max pressure of 65 psi

I hope those were very cheap, I’ve got the Schwalbe’s which go to 90 so I use all of that in the rear and around 75/80 up front. But I hop a lot of kerbs etc so don’t want pinches, and I want the cx bike to be fast!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pressure in CX tyres’ is closed to new replies.