Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Press Fit Bottom Bracket Confusion
  • smigers321
    Free Member

Good Morning fine people,

Despite the fact they have been around for some time now I still do not understand press fit bottom brackets, from my friend having his bike serviced at a popular commercial bikeshop and it not being done properly I would also guess other people seem to be struggling so what is the actual point, from reading magazines it seems they are stiffer than screw fit (easiest thing on the planet to figure out) ones so did the industry decide to bring these things out because too many third party companies were producing cheaper off shoots of the standard ones?

I suppose my question here really is the difference, I have been lookng at a Production Privee Shan and think they look ace but whilst it is spec’d as a BB92 fitting I don’t know what cranks will fit this and I have also heard BB30’s mentioned as well as a few other standards, sorry to be a pain but can anyone simplify this for me? Basically, which standards are there and will most cranks fit them?

Smigers

wwaswas

which standards are there and will most cranks fit them

lots and no.

from here;

http://dansbikestuff.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/bottom-bracket-standards.html

smigers321
    Free Member

Ta very much wwaswas, very informative and just the information I was looking for as was struggling to find a decent site for measurements/size comparison 🙂

Basically sounds like press fit are inferior to screw fit without proper fitting but in the interest of buying a beautiful hardtail may have to deal with it – still doesn’t make sense why they need to meddle with stuff so much, I suppose that is progression!

Cheers again!!!

Smigers

dunmail
    Free Member

Press fit: manufacturers wanted to cut cost of manufacturing frame (threading and facing BB shell is another operation that costs time and money). Manufacturers now need a way of selling this – “It’s stiffer in the BB area”. Gullible cyclists: “Wow!”

Look up “The Emperor’s new clothes”

Garry_Lager

Must admit I like the simplicity of bb30 – two bearings pressed into the frame, done. A cheap and easy service. Most people would argue that it bloody well should be, as you’ll be replacing them left right and centre, but I’ve had decent results with press fits on my bikes. Not as long lasting as most threaded bb units, but acceptable.

smigers321
    Free Member

That makes sense on the threading of the frame taking up time and money but I can imagine that like headsets, even with the proper tools you do have issues removing and and in particular installing them, I like how simple the threaded ones are but I feel that may phase out over time, suppose I will just have to get used to the press fits. As long as they work with my existing cranks as not to cost me even more money that will do me 😀

Cheers for all the advice gents, really helped clear it up for me!

Smigers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Press Fit Bottom Bracket Confusion’ is closed to new replies.