Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Press Fit bb change
  • rick1001
    Free Member

Is it a easy job to do or is it best having a trip to the LBS? Seen a vid on you tube and it looks quite easy with the right tools which unfortunatly i dont have/dont realy want to buy, anyone done it without the propper tools and if so what did you use?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Just done mine without any proper tools. I used a socket on an extension bar to knock the old BB cups out (carefully), to replace i placed the new cups in the shell then used a proper G Clamp and shims to press in each side (seperately) by tightening it. Job was very successful on the FSA PF30 i used. Being careful is key but only took 5 mins.

jonyb
    Free Member

getting them out on my lapierre 514 can be a struggle, not got the proper tools either. careful use of a drift and hammer. does not look very professional !!
    replacing is easier.
    a long piece of threaded bar m10 or bigger.
    2 plain nuts and large washers or sockets large enough to apply pressure to the outer face of the bearing only.
    and patience.
    better still , take to your lbs for your piece of mind., if your not too confident.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I found it a real pain to do it on my Zesty 214 without the proper tools. Don’t Superstarcomp sell the correct tool for £20. You’d probably get charged half that by a bike shop so use the tool twice and you’re quids in?

Fitting the new one is easy with a block of wood, hammer and a bit of care.

dmouse
    Free Member

Was faced with the same dilema recently and plumped for:

Removal with the Superstar tool (delivered next day); Pretty easy and seemed to work OK – although it did need a fair bit of force to remove (but to be fair I have no real reference to compare with as first time I’ve done this job).

Refitting using home brew headset press (threaded bar, nuts and large thick washers as method described above); Very easy if you take your time and start square.

So far so good!

rick1001
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice will order the tool and have a go.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Press Fit bb change’ is closed to new replies.