Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Presents – how long is this madness going to carry on?
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

So yet again we have a pile of landfill under the tree. Random shite that I don’t ask for and don’t want. Random shite for other people.

The planet is dying yet it’s considered a good use of resources to guess what people might want and buy it for them without checking.

I try to ask for ‘doing’ things like a voucher from the kids to come family sailing/kayaking/biking with me or helping with the logs but it cuts little ice.

Drives me crazy. A vast amount of our consumption is stuff we don’t really want at the best of times, why add to that by a mass consumption guessing game every christmas.

I accept that gifts *to* kids are a special case but even then they’re getting so much crap they value none of it. Surely 4-5 things they *want* is plenty. How about one decent thing they actually want?

In the environmental stakes surely doing without stuff you don’t even want is the low hanging fruit?

Not really expecting solutions, I’ve suggested all the obvious things, I just have to endure it.

slackalice
    Free Member

Or you can just say ‘no’.

It’s easy, I/we have for the last 8 years. Xmas is a roast dinner, admittedly a very tasty roast dinner but not excessive, just the usual left overs for a tasty bubble and squeak the following day.

The conscious consumption and hypocrisy that surrounds this time of year genuinely makes me feel unwell. The core message of extending oneself for the benefit of others is good, just no need to involve Visa and/or Master Card.

scotroutes

We’ve cut back significantly. In fact I view the past 50 years as a bit of a blip. Xmas wasn’t a massive affair when I was growing up. MY Father was often working. It was a pretty normal day, though we had some paper decorations up there were always a few presents for us kids. Hogmanay was a much more important celebration and that mostly involved food and drink.

Nowaday, I’m happy to accept the mundane, useful, stuff like socks and pants, though anything that can be eaten or drunk usually goes down well too.

kerley
    Free Member

You just need a grown up conversation with everyone. I did it about 30 years ago, no presents will be given or received – done.

jon1973
    Free Member

So yet again we have a pile of landfill under the tree. Random shite that I don’t ask for and don’t want. Random shite for other people.

All that sounds like it’s totally under your control.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Personally, I’d rather just receive cash or PayPal to buy things I really want or need. Often the stuff I want is way more than I’d be comfortable receiving as a present.

If people feel uncomfortable sending cash and being judged on how much they give, get someone to act as the money pooler and then receiver gets a lump sum from mum, dad, gran and Dave.

Cougar

No, I’m with you. I’ve literally just been having this same discussion in another channel.

I like Christmas and I like a partner to have “something to open” on Christmas day. (Quiet at the back.) But having to buy a present cos the calendar says so, I have no real idea, I never have.

With my ex at the time it almost turned into an arms race. Like I’d buy her an iPad and still feel the need to buy twelve other stocking fillers, and vice versa. It got ludicrous.

As far as mates go, within a couple of years of us starting work for the first time decades ago we all pretty much came up with a pact going “look, this is daft, I spend ten quid on something you don’t want, you spend ten quid on something I don’t want, let’s call the whole thing off.”

On the other hand I think I’m pretty good with “I saw this and I thought of you.” I bought a mate a little something back in the summer, it was a random spot in a shop and it was just “oh my god that’s perfect for [mate].” I’d much rather do that for people than be sitting here on Xmas eve going “OMG what am I going to get them?”

outofbreath
    Free Member

Nowaday, I’m happy to accept the mundane, useful, stuff like socks and pants, though anything that can be eaten or drunk usually goes down well too.

Funny you should say that. I actually need some two stroke oil. I can honestly say that would make me smile whereas random discounted books about DIY or WW1 the M-in-L buys from ‘The Works’ will just raise my blood pressure.

CountZero

I’m probably lucky in that I have only two family members who I give presents to, my brother and sister-in-law; she gets the Cloud Appreciation Society calendar every year, which she loves, and he gets money.
    I have no other close family who are alive, which makes things simple, and there’s only my g/g, her mum, and three close friends who I give presents to, my buying guide is, would I buy the item for myself? As our tastes are largely similar, disappointed seldom ever occurs.
    Obvs, those with large, extended families are going to need to make some hard choices, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to chose items that will be appreciated and enjoyed.
    In the case of my friends, music, books and alcohol (scotch!) are guaranteed to be well received.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Weve been involved in a lot of the purchases this year and the kids will be getting stuff they want. It’s not hard. The wife and I have also had stuff we would probably not have bought ourselves as we’re tight as **** when it comes to buying stuff for ourselves, so the presents off the parents such as some biking trousers for me will be really well recieved.

faerie
    Free Member

I only buy my young kids a maximum of 5 gifts each; 1 that they need, 1 that they read, 1 that they eat, 1 that they wear and 1 that they want. We do things as a family instead, I don’t remember the gift I was given at 6 but I do remember having a snowball fight by a loch with my cousins. Kids get plenty of stuff throughout the year and I’d rather get adults a gift if I want to rather than because it’s expected, if I see something I know that they’ll like or need. I’d rather spend money on memories rather than merchandise

fossy

I actually enjoy getting socks – our washer seems to only return mis matched single socks !

I get fed up with tat – I’ve thrown away quite a few presents in recent years as they were a waste of time (electric heated car ice scraper – you had to wait for it to heat up off your 12v socket then start – what’s wrong with a 6 pint milk carton with warm water).

We’ve stopped buying for neices and nephews this year as they all have their ow homes, and we don’t even get a card – we only did it for so long as my two are much younger, although 18/16 now. My daughter and son would perfer cash to get something they need. Not bought tat this year, just useful stuff. My lad now has tools/portable maintenance light/cleaning stuff for looking after his first car.

I have got him a 25 litre drum of snow foam – worked out a damn site more economical than the stuff from Halfords. He will actually be made up with it. Daughter, some Xbox games and a 12 month PSN membership (she has an PS4 also). Other stuff is useful – we ditched the ‘tat’ from her amazon list.

I don’t need anything, so bought a couple of presents for my daughter to give to me (torque wrench) and one from my MIL (tool wrap – wasn’t expensive, but she buy’s sh1t, so I gave her that to wrap for me) . My mum will get me socks which I tnank her for as it’s stuff I NEED.

My wife has bought me a concert ticket (and one for her). I bought her some GHD’s (she’s wanted one for years after cheap ones are just crap) and some ‘sewing’ accessories, as that’s her hobby.

I know I’ll get crap off my SIL’s.

I’ve pre-empted my 50th birthday though – I’ve said ‘local currency’ please as we’re off away for 4 days – that’s just after Christmas.

molgrips
    Free Member

OP, it’s all under your control. Make the changes you want.

I got bee bombs and an expensive jumper for the Mrs. My combined birthday and Christmas present is chainstays for my Salsa.

BigM
    Free Member

Always try to buy my lads something they need, eldest is getting new gear for biking, he out grown all his old stuff. I managed to get a couple of my younger (15 y/o) lads art projects framed for him. Just really hate the wasteful consumerism of it all.
    My sisters and I don’t buy each other presents, haven’t done so for years.

matt_outandabout

All adults in our families either don’t do presents or take part in a secret Santa of £50 with wish lists perfectly appropriate. I’m hoping for a really nice shirt this year.
    Our kids get one main present upto £50 and a few small things for a stocking from us. That’s it.
    Lunch is a big roast. But we don’t drink much and we try not to overdo it.
    Our tree lives in the garden for 11 months. Not glamorous but works.
    Even with all that effort some of the wider family try to drown the kids in utter tat…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Or you can just say ‘no’.

You just need a grown up conversation with everyone.

All that sounds like it’s totally under your control.

OP, it’s all under your control. Make the changes you want.

And I say ha ****** ha to that.

Clearly none of you have met my folks, if only it was that easy. Tried all of the above at various points to be met with, on various occasions; agreement, offence, anger, all states in between and ALWAYS completely ignored. My family seem to be one of those ones where everyone got each others kids presents and now that seems to have extended to grandkids/grandnieces/grandnephews.

Madness, utter madness.

Rich_s

Last year asked for socks. I got 3 pairs of “amusing” Christmas socks. On Christmas Day. So I wore one pair once on Boxing Day and the other two have not seen the light of day.

Two years ago the MIL got me a pair of Christmas Tree cufflinks, on Christmas Day. I only occasionally wear double cuffs; and definitely never on Christmas Day which is resolutely a day for polo shirts and maybe an anarchic jumper.

Three years ago I asked for some new work shirts. I only wear Charles Tyrwhitt in a particular fit and size. I was bought a half dozen different shirts from every single shirt company other than CT, none of which were in a style I liked, or the right size, or material.

**** it. I’m just asking for cash this year.

Thankfully my side of the family is proper Yorkshire and buy each other nowt! As my sister pointed out, our memories of our grandparents is not about what they bought, but the time we spent playing cards with them at Christmas (2p a hand, full contact whist).

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Eight in our immediate family and since 2008 we have run a “Secret Santa” scheme where each person buys one (or more) present for one other person limited to £20. I organise the secret list based on a spreadsheet so you don’t buy for the same person for several years and you don’t know who had bought for you. I do it a couple of months before Christmas so you’d think I’d remember who bought for me but I usually don’t.

It’s worked out pretty well so far with everyone usually getting something useful as you only have to concentrate on buying one decent present.

molgrips
    Free Member

Three years ago I asked for some new work shirts.

That was foolish 🙂

Rich_s

That was foolish

I’ve asked for socks and pants again this year. I have supplied weblinks for the ones I want… I’m not holding my breath.

slowoldman

We tend to buy stuff we want/need throughout the year and no longer feel the need to mark Christmas (apart from making an effort with nice food) or birthdays (had lots of those now).

tillydog
    Free Member

our washer seems to only return mis matched single socks !

Summary dismissal. It’s the only way, especially at this time of year when they should be obsequiously angling for tips.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wife and I have decided not to get each other 🎁 this year and the kids (all in their late teens) have supplied ideas and are getting exactly what they would like.
    No guesswork involved.

phil5556

I’ve floated the idea of not getting each other anything for the last few years and finally this year everyone has (as far as we know) actually listened.

Nephews are getting a couple of little bits from us, but adults aren’t exchanging presents.

Me and the wife aren’t getting each other anything this year either, sometimes we do if there’s something we want/need but don’t feel we have to get something for the sake of it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

God theres some miserable sods on here. Still love seeing the kids get some shiny surprises even though they’re 17 and 14. We do also do a 50 quid secret santa on christmas eve where I team up with the daughter and we buy for the wife and lad and they buy for us. Love shopping on christmas eve with them as its bus in to town, shopping, then a family death match at laser quest then a trip to the pub. Hopefully it will continue and Ill still keep doing whilst the kids want to.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Family came to us last year and instead of presents I said to make something food related and we can swap. Worked out really well, as we had jams, chutney, pickles, chocolates, homemade bacon, smoked cheese and spice mixes. Was great.

FuzzyWuzzy

Years ago in my family we agreed we’d only get presents for the kids, much less hassle (the main driver) and I guess wastage. Occasionally exchange bottles of alcohol between the adults but rarely anything else. Why not suggest the same in your family OP?

kerley
    Free Member

Clearly none of you have met my folks, if only it was that easy.

It is that easy. But then I am blessed with aspergers so not getting emotional, being very blunt and to the point along with not understanding why people don’t see it my way are my strong points.

If you lived close to me I would come round and talk to them for you 🙂

ChrisHeath

It is that easy. But then I am blessed with aspergers so not getting emotional, being very blunt and to the point along with not understanding why people don’t see it my way are my strong points.

Oh wow. I wonder why I’d never thought of “blunt and to the point”. Several times a ****ing year, every ****ing year.

OP you have my sympathy. I can relate. I get very few birthday or Christmas pressies now, but the mother in law just refuses to listen.

ctk
    Free Member

EBay has a search function so you can buy only from charity sellers, takes the edge off it!

Massively looking forward to seeing my kids open their Lego and massively looking forward to helping them build it.

ctk
    Free Member

Also presents can be taken to the chatrity shop it’s all the **** wrapping/ disposable decorations that people buy that’s the problem.

metalheart
    Free Member

Ah but @kerley, not everyone has superpowers… 😜

Neutrotypical syndrome is a neurobiological disorder characterised by preoccupation with social concerns, delusions of superiority and obsession with conformity for which there is no known cure. Basically, they can’t help it.

Over a decade now I opted out of the festive season (unchecked the participation box). Even my aged parents got it, eventually. I still get a few cards from people that I really care about but I appreciate that they take the time to remember me.

garage-dweller

A while. Yes it’s bloody wasteful but then so is driving to the trails to ride your bike, buying a van or 4*4 not a Golf, etc. The waste annoys me too by the way (along with the ridiculous excess food buying and associated waste) but it’s far wider than just Xmas.

I honestly think humanity is (in the words of Metallica) hard wired to self destruct.

ads678

My sisters and I have said that we’re not doing presents this year. Just stuff for the kids. But we always buy them stuff they actually want.

My asked for an electric guitar so I’ve bought him that and an amp. My daughter has clothes and stuff she wanted.

I’ve asked for some grip grab gaiters and a watch strap from my missus/kids this year!

globalti
    Free Member

When I was a kid eveybody got ONE present. Nowadays it seems normal to give people between six and a dozen presents. Madness.

mjsmke

You could always sell or donate things you don’t want or don’t need. Plenty of people and animals don’t even have heating or food this Christmas.

kerley
    Free Member

when I was a kid my presents were an orange and a cardboard box so times have definitely changed.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Our present level is higher than I’d like, but not horrendous and we don’t buy tat.

coppice
    Free Member

I used to work with someone who just used to pass a £20 note around the dining table before they ate.

jimdubleyou

My wife likes to open a stocking full of presents on xmas day, it reminds her of time with her mum.

It’s nothing special – few nice chocs, some of her shampoo / conditioner / moisturizer wrapped up.

Our present to each other this year is skiing over xmas.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Presents – how long is this madness going to carry on?’ is closed to new replies.