Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Prescription Swimming Goggles, any Opticians about?
  • spooky_b329

I’d like some prescription goggles and being an occasional/rubbish swimmer, want to start off with some ‘off the shelf’ ones as the cheapest (bulky and very bright) prescription ones are £50 and the rest start at £90.

I am short sighted with astigmatism, but basic goggles do not correct for astigmatism…I’ve seen a couple of comments else wear that say you should add half the ‘cylinder’ (astigmatism) to the sphere to make a basic/crude adjustment for the astigmatism, is that correct?

The example stated -6.25/-5.50X180 which would give a Goggle of -9, but I’m confused about the 180, is that the Axis?

My prescription is;

SPH CYL AXIS BVD
    -3.00 -1.75 100.00 11.00
    -3.25 -2.25 20.0

Going by the advice I reckon I could just get goggles with -4.00 in both eyes, or 4.0 and 4.5? Or does the 100 and 20 mean the add half is wrong?!

Found some basic Goggles that are only £10 so its not the end of the world, but nice to get it right first time!

jkomo

R -4.00
    L -4.50
    Should be fine, as long as you don’t try driving home in them.

antimony
    Free Member

Contact lenses?
    I just wear my lenses with normal goggles – no problems in last 20 yrs, but have been through dozens of pairs, they get lost, scratched, start leaking etc. I’d hate to spend over £50 on what is essentially a disposable item.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to see what the answer to this is too.

I am short sighted…..

My prescription is;

SPH CYL AXIS BVD
    -3.00 -1.75 100.00 11.00
    -3.25 -2.25 20.0

You’re not short sighted. 😉

iainc

I am proper short sighted, around -6.5. I wear varifocal specs most of the time and disposable contacts with speedo swim socket goggles in pool. Very good solution, no leaks, good vision.

samuri
    Free Member

around -6.5

That’s just a squint. 😉

That’s what I did though. Contacts with goggles.

jkomo

£17.50 from Specsavers, not £50.
    I used contact lenses for the last 20 yrs swimming with goggles no probs.
    My cousin never swam in hers but caught the acanthameoba infection in the gym shower. It all but ruined her life, years later it is still not cured, two corneal grafts didn’t fix it. Life changing for her.
    I will never go anywhere near water in contacts now.
    Sorry to be a miserable ****, but this is a slight risk with massive consequences.

spooky_b329

Yeah I’m a lens wearer and occasionally have a shower after riding and forget to remove them, but not going swimming in them even with decent goggles. For specsavers to ask twice per visit it’s obviously something drummed into them.

£17 for full prescription goggles? Really?

lastuphills
    Free Member

Blimey, been wearing lenses 20 plus years never heard of that infection before, never thought twice about wearing them swimming or in water. I have been pretty lackadaisical in my approach to cleaning etc in the past. I feel fortunate today. A quick google shows a 1 in 30000 chance though and only 12% of that figure wore hard GP lenses. Feel for jkomo’s cousin though ….

jkomo

Actually, it might be £24.50, something like that. Not a lot. They aren’t custom made, but off the shelf sphere only Rx. Good enough to get by in most cases.

MadBillMcMad

I have some speedo ones £26.50

Aquasphere also do Eagles at £35.00

but I must admit I prefer contacts with my Aquasphere Kayennes.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Daily disposable contacts with normal goggles. Swim then remove the lenses and bin ’em.

I have seen Specsavers do prescription goggles for £25.

My eyes aren’t that bad that I need to use either, so no real experience, just what I have seen and heard.

iainc

Daily disposable contacts with normal goggles. Swim then remove the lenses and bin ’em.

pretty much what I do, with Speedo Swim Sockets to keep my eyes away from the pool water. I find that if I put goggles on before going into pool and dont touch them, I can do an hour of swimming and come out, remove goggles and eyes are as dry as they were before going in. Quick shower then bin contacts.

spooky_b329

Bought some from Goggleyed for £16 ish. They calculated the correction for astigmatism at 3.50 and 4.00.

Pretty darn good (living room test), fairly good vision and more than enough for swimming. Good suction on them too, only downside is they are quite bulky/sticky out but I suspect all prescription ones are similar.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Prescription Swimming Goggles, any Opticians about?’ is closed to new replies.