Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Prescription sunglasses: Maui Jim
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Just got a spammy email from Eyesite opticians re: trial sunnies. I need some as it happens, and it sounds like  it could be worth investigating. I’ve not heard of this brand before – anyone experienced them ?

Here at Eyesite, we already know that once you have worn Maui Jim prescription sunglasses you will never want to give them up. Now the Maui Jim “Risk-free Trial” gives you the confidence to try them for yourself.

Pyro

A kayaker friend is sponsored by them.

I’ve never tried them so no idea.

Wookster

Big in The US and Sailing Circles. I loved them and worn my pair daily to destruction at work. I’d happily choose them over Oakleys etc. As they are on par

Murray

I’ve got some. They’re great but expensive. Shame I’ve got older and my prescription has changed 🙁

CountZero

There are a few people on here who swear by Maui Jim sunnies. To be honest, I’ve never seen them in any retail space to find out for myself. Most of my sunnies are Oakley, which I’ve been wearing since the early 90’s, Arnet, before they sold out and became Arnette, Dragon, and a couple of pairs of RayBan. My prescription Oakleys were superb, but not cheap.

speed12
    Free Member

I have some of their sunglasses (non-prescription) and they are very very good; lens clarity is far better than any Oakley’s I have ever had. They seem to be able to drop the light level but not tint the colour of anything and make everything look better at the same time….

RobHilton
    Free Member

Good feedback! Cheers guys.

The £££ never appeals but as a lifelong glasses wearer I do look after them well – my current pair have lasted 15 years, but are well out from my current prescription, so the cost is probly worthwhile.

I’ll give them a go.

jkomo

They are good, and Eyesite Opticians are well regarded.

Pretty spendy though.

ratherbeintobago

I’ve got some non-prescription Maui Jim’s that are great.

Advice from the optician was to wear daily contacts rather than prescription sunnies; Mrs RBIT has just got a pair for high pollen days and says it’s a right pain when she goes indoors, lifts her sunnies up and can’t see…

fadda

I’ve always found MJs better than Oakley’s (normal sunnie’s) for the reasons above.

Someone on here who appeared to know about these things recommended them, and Serengetis, as being optically superior to anything else.

Also, Oakley’s are often a bit “show- offy”…

midlifecrashes

Define “Risk free trial”. I can only assume they send you the specs to use for a month, then if you like them and want to keep them, you send them some cash?

thehustler
    Free Member

The best sunglasses bar none!! (Opticians owner for 16 years) Very expensive but worth it if you can afford them,

If its this site     https://www.eyesite.co.uk/shop/category/sunglasses/?swoof=1&product_brand=maui-jim&really_curr_tax=38-product_cat

I dont think thats the ‘prescription price, thats just plano.

leythervegas
    Free Member

I agree with The Hustler. I have worked in optics for nearly 30 years and nothing comes close to the quality of Maui Jim lenses and the frames have improved massively in recent years too. Cost more but you are getting what you are paying for.

mmannerr

Maui Jim lenses seem really good but most stores seem to carry only douchebag style frames. Their website shows much nicer styles but I’m not going to buy glasses or sunglasses online.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

+1 excellent sunglasses

cos of some cock up mine cost me £0. But I’d happily buy another pair (and pay for them this time)

Twodogs

Maui Jim’s real name is Walter.  They don’t sound so cool now, do they!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Maui Jim’s real name is Walter.  They don’t sound so cool now, do they!

😂 😂

In defence of Walter, can I say I’d much rather pay for the functional technology than the marketability :).

Kryton57

I have some of their sunglasses (non-prescription) and they are very very good; lens clarity is far better than any Oakley’s I have ever had. They seem to be able to drop the light level but not tint the colour of anything and make everything look better at the same time….

+1 I bought some after my Italian Glasses were stolen.  The are very good indeed.  Mine seem to have a graduated tint from top to middle, middle to bottom with the middle the lightest.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Prescription sunglasses: Maui Jim’ is closed to new replies.