Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Prescription Glasses for the Bike
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

So, I’ve just gotten back from the opticians (Boots), and thankfully I don’t need new glasses. However, I would like a set of proper sports glasses for on the bike with prescription lenses in.

The options they offer are the Power Pro, Windrams and SRX 2.

Does anyone have any of these, and can they offer me any feedback on how they’re finding them?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to pro’s/cons of each pair?

I know a lot of people have issues with sport glasses steaming up. Any thoughts on this with these options?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Not any of those specific models but I have tried glasses with inserts before and found them a nightmare due to fogging-up.
    Maybe it’s just that I’m a sweaty lump but I have to stop all too frequently to demist the 2 surfaces of normal glasses in damp/mist/fog. 4 surfaces was terrible.

TheGingerOne

I personally think you would be better going to Optilabs and getting some made there.

buck53

Not those specific models but generally speaking I didn’t get on with them and now ride in contacts and regular glasses.

IME vented lenses are essential to stop fogging, but then I run hot. Even vented will fog up at a standstill or low speed, not so much of an issue when the lenses aren’t providing your vision, but it is when they are.

The other issue with the models without RX inserts is that the width/wrap of the lenses mean that your vision often distorts away from the centre of your lenses, you don’t realise how much you use your peripheral vision until it’s not there.

As I say, for me the answer is contacts and regular lenses. YMMV

midlifecrashes

Inserts suck. I tried them with Adidas EvilEye specs and unless it was a cool clear day it was a nightmare of misting, even using RainX and the like.

There are wraparound style specs available to prescription, you’re not likely to get them at Boots though. Rodenstock ProAct are very good, but since I got rid of the road bike and see fewer downhills at 45mph I usually jut ride in my normal specs or sunnies. My wraparound rodenstock frames have 1.74 index transitions in and go clear enough for night riding, but were pretty expensive.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I personally think you would be better going to Optilabs and getting some made there.

Thanks, I’m open to suggestions of other companies. Naturally Boots only promote their partners.

Optilabs seem to offer a lot of different packs for each set of frames, but I don’t really know what I’m looking at here. Whats the difference between single/bifocal/varifocal? Will I find that on my prescription?

IME vented lenses are essential to stop fogging, but then I run hot.

I thought this would be the case, will certainly bear that in mind looking at them.

Even vented will fog up at a standstill or low speed, not so much of an issue when the lenses aren’t providing your vision, but it is when they are.

Existing glasses fog up often at low speed as it is, I guess it’s something I’ll get used to if I have to.

The other issue with the models without RX inserts is that the width/wrap of the lenses mean that your vision often distorts away from the centre of your lenses, you don’t realise how much you use your peripheral vision until it’s not there.

So, RX inserts are a good thing then? I hadn’t even considered what the warp effect of the lens could be like. Good points, thanks!

As I say, for me the answer is contacts and regular lenses

Tried contacts, and couldn’t stand them unfortunately.

I’m keen to hear what others think, must be some others out there who can provide some feedback?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Inserts suck. I tried them with Adidas EvilEye specs and unless it was a cool clear day it was a nightmare of misting, even using RainX and the like.

Do you mean the RX inserts?

The rather mixed thoughts are what I had hoped I wouldn’t get much of :/

TiRed

I find all glasses steam up. Including my Rx inserts. But I still think their benefits outweigh their problems. I used to wear contacts but can’t be bothered now. Just a personal choice that before Rx inserts, I did not have.

womble321
    Free Member

I have the rx2 with the elastic stead bdnd & they are wicked even though the elastic is now a bit baggy but very pleased & nearly three years old now.

freehighlander
    Free Member

Optilabs good great service used them for a couple of years.
    Frames are a bit brittle/fragile.

Specsavers are good but limited to styles but the frames are a lot more robust

midlifecrashes

Yes, the RX prescription inserts snap in behind the main lens of the Adidas ones. They’re very close to your eye too and on mine my eyelash often batted against them sometimes too which drove me nuts. I don’t get on with contacts and don’t fancy lasers so I gave them a go.

I’m a bit more savvy on specs prices now though so to get the same performance as my wraparounds I’d head for TKMaxx and get a good pair of wraparound sunnies for a tenner or so, then send them off to an internet optician for reglazing.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I have the rx2

Any idea what the difference between the SRX2 and RX2 is? I can’t find them on the website, and wanted to see if there is anything substantially different.

danielgroves
    Free Member

They’re very close to your eye too and on mine my eyelash often batted against them sometimes too which drove me nuts

Worth bearing that in mind then, thanks. I doubt my patience would last long with that.

I’m a bit more savvy on specs prices now though so to get the same performance as my wraparounds I’d head for TKMaxx and get a good pair of wraparound sunnies for a tenner or so, then send them off to an internet optician for reglazing.

What are the prices like for that? Anywhere you can recommend?

midlifecrashes

SelectSpecs and CiliaryBlue usually get good reviews. Transitions are expensive though, it’d be cheaper to do two pairs, one clear and one in sunnies. If you have a cheap local optician they might do them for you, one local to me reglazed the Adidas inserts for £30, I’d bought them on eBay second hand.

buck53

So, RX inserts are a good thing then?

Relatively speaking and IMO!

In terms of not distorting vision, yes they are. In terms of misting up, no they’re not (twice as many lenses to fog up).

EDIT: In your position I’d look at non-wraparound styles instead, most likely getting something reglazed rather than limiting myself to what the opticians have. Something like Oakley racing jackets (or whatever they’re called these day, those ones Froome wears). That way you get rid of the lens distortion and can benefit from the vents. I think that’s the best solution you’ll find without contacts.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I bought a pair of used Oakleys off ebay and had a local independent optician put my prescription in. With photochromic lenses too, so one pair of specs for everything. They’re fantastic.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into this recently.

I’ve got a set of Oakley Jawbones already and I’m trying to justify the £200 for some prescription transitions lenses from;

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Prescription-Glasses/Oakley-Prescription-Glasses/

At the mo I’m using my normal glasses which are:
    a) far from ideal for cycling
    b) Could be a bit of a problem if I broke them while out, the drive back from Wales (or where ever) could be interesting
    c) definitely better than not being able to see where I’m going!

IHN

Optilabs are horrifically expensive for what you get. I’ve had a pair, they were good, but there’s no way I’d pay £200+ for a replacement now that I know better, which is:

Buy a pair of sunglasses that you like (or a ‘tribute’ to a pair you like 😉 ), get them glazed with Transitions lenses from CiliaryBlue. Hey presto, prescription Transition lenses for about £50, plus whatever you pay for the sunglasses (in my case, €8)

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Optilabs user here – daily use and very happy.

I have photochromic lenses – which go amazingly clear (night riding no problem) and plenty dark enough.

try the frames before you buy – the ones I liked in the brochure had such a poor fit, and the alternatives that I went for looked much better off the paper and on my face.

TM

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

IHN, so no complaints with the CiliartBlue lenses then?

They’re either £60 or £90 for the Transitions lenses depending on if you require the super thin ones or not. RX Sport are £198 for the lenses.

Anyone used CiliaryBlue for Oakley Jawbone lenses? Do you have to send the frames in or do they have the lens shape ‘on record’ ?

cookeaa

+1 Fauxleys reglazed by cillary blue here. The only thing when picking some glasses for reglazing is don’t pick a pair with too much sweep as this tends to be an issue for a lot of labs

IHN

Nope, no complaints here. My only issue is with the frames (they steam up a bit), but that’s my fault.

FWIW, my frames are pretty wrappy and it wasn’t an issue.

Oh, and you send your frames in. Don’t worry about them being fake or ‘owt; despite the (wonky) badge on the side, mine certainly weren’t made by Ferrari 🙂

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Jawbone transition lenses ordered from Ciliaryblue! £70 for the lenses (£5/lens surcharge for Jawbones apparently) plus some postage £77 all in.

Hopefully these are as good as they sound, if so I’ve saved about £125 over the rx sport prices.

Lester
    Free Member

ive got some oakley prescripton m frames, with a dark lens and a clear lens.
    i bought them from ebay where they were sold as 2.5, i thought they were + 2.5 just for reading, but they werent, they were thicker ( for long sightedness)
    so they are available if you want to take a chance

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

BTW Ciliary blue has 10% off at the moment; quote FBCB10

bellys
    Free Member

Iv got the SRX2 and they have been fine..yes they fog up but most do..all I do when there fogged up is flip the outer’s for a cpl of seconds and they clear pretty fast..I got 2 sets of outer lenses any the glasses for £70.. I would recommend them BUT I have not tried any other make to compare them to.

handbrake
    Free Member

new adidas evil eye half rim have Rx inserts that replace the existing sun lens…. looks good and gives lots of options on lens choice.

Oakley racing jacket vented work very well….. I have the cycling varifocal… no peripheral distortion and they don’t steam up.

Important to stress that the cheap options will have low quality optics and may be limited to certain colours and prescriptions. Highly curved lenses distort more, so need digital or freeform surfaces to eliminate this.

Always makes me laugh that people will spend loads on a cycling jersey or something so simple as a handlebar, but think £300 is too much for specs!

danielgroves
    Free Member

got some oakley prescripton m frames, with a dark lens and a clear lens.
    i bought them from ebay where they were sold as 2.5, i thought they were + 2.5 just for reading, but they werent, they were thicker ( for long sightedness)

I’m shortsighted, so thanks for the offer but they’re no good for me.

Oakley racing jacket vented work very well

Did you get the Racing Jackets directly from Oakley? I can’t see them on the list they offer prescription lenses in.

Initially, I’m even struggling to decide if I actually want RX inserts or not. I think I need to do a bit more research on them.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Anyone use Oakley Fast Jackets or Half Jackets on the bike? How’d you find them?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Why not just use contact lenses for when your cycling? I just use them on the bike and orienteering far better and cheaper solution IMHO and very cheap

Have jawbones, they work fine inter changeable lenses great

danielgroves
    Free Member

Why not just use contact lenses for when your cycling?

I tried them for a month last summer, and it felt like my eyes were permanently on fire. I couldn’t stand them.

globalti
    Free Member

Just go to TK Max, pick up some cheap sunnies, pop the lenses out and get them glazed to your prescription. Mine cost £11.99 and £50 for the lenses.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Prescription Glasses for the Bike’ is closed to new replies.