Prescription glasses for riding – any wearers/opticians on here?

Home Forum Bike Forum Prescription glasses for riding – any wearers/opticians on here?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Prescription glasses for riding – any wearers/opticians on here?
  • wl

I tried riding with my normal prescription glasses recently (I only wear them for driving and watching TV, so sometimes I go days without wearing them). Problem is, as soon as I put them on and started descending, I felt p*ssed and woosey – I had to take them off again right away. Would this be the same with proper prescription riding glasses, like Oakleys, or is it a result of not being used to wearing my specs much? SAme thing happened once when I tried playing badminton with them on. I’m trying to avoid having to use contacts for riding. Ta.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

or is it a result of not being used to wearing my specs much?

I would say this TBH. I wear prescription Oakleys most of the time whilst riding, they are excellent, but they don’t make me feel any different than if I’m wearing my normal glasses (which I wear at all other times!)

hunta

How long since you got your eyes checked against the prescription? If they’re wrong you’ll feel dizzy no matter how long you wear them for.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

How long since you got your eyes checked against the prescription? If they’re wrong you’ll feel dizzy no matter how long you wear them for.

Yeah this is true, although the prescription could be correct but you’ve never got used to wearing them. Normally take me a few days or up to a week of continuous wear before a new prescription feels normal, before then they always feel a bit “funny”.

aP

How strong is your prescription and how often do you actually wear them for the things which you say you need them for? If you need them to watch tv – then surely you need them to drive, to read train description signs, to see what cereal you’re buying?

Premier Icon st colin
    Subscriber

Oakley Ten X’s with prescription transition lenses. Odd sensation at first, kind of fish bowl effect, but got used to them very quickly. Nice and secure on my head, brilliant in all levels of light. Only issue as with any pair of glasses/goggles, keeping them fog free.

johnellison

If you need them to watch tv – then surely you need them to drive, to read train description signs, to see what cereal you’re buying?

I thought that – either you sit a hell of a long way from your telly or you fixate on a point 12 feet infront of the steering wheel.

I’m woefully myopic (short-sighted) – I can’t see anything beyond about 3 feet away without glasses or my contacts, but I have 19/20 vision when waering them. I’ve worn contacts for nearly 20 years now and have never had any issues with them when riding. That said I always wear close-fitting sports/cycling gegs over the top.

wl

Cheers for the suggestions. I got a new pair of glasses made to a new prescription just the other day (I stupidly forgot to mention the whole biking/woosey thing). Same thing, really – when I stick the specs on and move around, everything feels a bit ‘weird’. Under normal circumstances I only ever wear specs when sitting still either driving or watching TV, cinema etc – so it’s not an issue. I get away without wearing them for walking around town and normal day-to-day activity. Sounds like I need to wear them more and get used to them. What I originally wondered was whether proper riding specs would eliminate the problem because of their wrap-around style lenses, perhaps better for the peripheral vision you use when you’re moving about. Sounds like no.

leythervegas

I manage an opticians and we regularly do wrap around prescription glasses. It’s a very complex thing making a pair of these specs. The wrap/curvature of the lens means that they have to be made to a different prescription to your actual prescription as light passes through the lens and is distorted differently to a flat everyday lens. (If that makes any sense). Decent opticians would alter the rx and allow for this but we see a lot of poorly made lenses that the wearer would never adapt to no matter how long they persisted. I’d try them for a couple of weeks – a couple if hours a day – just around the house, watching tv etc and if they don’t settle down take them back.

hambl90

I used to only wear my glasses for tv and driving but for about the last 6 months I’ve been wearing them all the time except on the bike. Have tried to wear them while biking but find it strange, I actually ride slower with them on but without them it’s getting blurry, so I’ve had a pair made with half my subscription strength in , not tried them yet as I still haven’t picked them up but I’ll post back when I do, I’m hoping it works.

wl

leythervegas – soz, I should have made it clearer, the new specs are normal everyday specs, not wrap-arounds. I’m happy with them, but, like my previous specs, they feel weird when I’m moving around in them. I suspect these new specs too will make me feel pissed on my bike. Sounds a bit like what hamble90 describes above.

Oakley flak jackets. Uncompromising.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

When you first wear Oakley Prescription sunnies , it’s an odd feeling due to the extra in focus peripheral vision. Bit trippy to be honest.

I wouldn’t go back to anything other than Oakley for all my eyewear now. I have Metal Plates for the office/tv, Monsterdogs for “normal” sunglasses and Transition Jawbones for riding.

They aren’t cheap but they are well worth the money in my opinion.

The warranty (which i have only had to use once) is also trouble free and excellent.

wl

Ta. What cost for prescription jawbones, roughly?

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Ta. What cost for prescription jawbones, roughly?

~£250, from the last time I looked… Cost put me off

glenp

I’ve worn glasses every waking minute for about 25 years, and even I feel woozy if the glasses bump around – which they can do if your helmet straps pull on the arms, so make sure they are properly snug and sitting firmly on the bridge of your nose. Other than that it sounds like you just need to get used to wearing them all the time.

One little caution – I once invested (a lot of money) in prescription Oakleys, with special prescription and curved lenses and all that… and they made me feel really giddy and I never did get used to them. So I prefer to just wear normal every day spectacles with same lens index and curvature as my other glasses.

glenp

Oh – and the common recommendation always used to be Optilabs. I had a pair from them once and they were excellent, with “normal” lens geometry.

Premier Icon sweaman2
    Subscriber

I use Rudy Project with prescription Rx inserts. Work well for me. I tend to find when I’m cycling that I’m almost always looking ahead (and actually almost at the top of the lens) so don’t feel the need for prescription wrap around.

argoose

Spectol aberdare.
    Good service good prices

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Prescription glasses for riding – any wearers/opticians on here?’ is closed to new replies.