Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Prescription cycling specs warning.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I recently bought a pair of cycling specs with additional clip-in frames for prescription lenses from an online retailer.

Although the correct prescription had been used, they were completely out of focus.

The local optician explained that this was because the “vertex” measurements had not been taken into account. This is the measurement of the distance of the lenses from the eyes and the position of the focus point for each lens and can only be done in a 1-1 consultation, of course.

If you’re going to order, make sure you get the glasses “frames only” so that your local optician can put in the correct lenses.
    It cost me an extra £38 to reolve… 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

Or, take your prescription from your own optician including the dispensing information, and give that to the online retailer.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You need the glasses to take the measurement.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toby1

And the shape of the face that holds the eyes in comparison to the glasses I would imagine 🙂

footflaps

I just buy prescription sun glasses online, they just work….

samuri
    Free Member

The dispensing information is noted at the same time as your prescription. Your optician will write this stuff down but won’t give it to you because you could go to an online retailer or another optician and get your glasses there. A lot of opticians treat this information as their own private intellectual property.

However, if you can find an optician who is willing to provide it to you, you can go to any online retailer to get a perfectly good pair of glasses made for you.

Yes, there is some fitting tuning that might be needed but that’s really just bending things.

zilog6128

I recently bought a pair of cycling specs with additional clip-in frames for prescription lenses from an online retailer.

are these better than e.g. prescription oakleys? or just cheaper?

thehustler
    Free Member

Dispensing information isn’t noted at the time of test, the PD ‘may'(MORE SO IN CHILDREN THAN ADULTS IF NO QUALIFIED DISPENSER IS ON THE PREMESIS) be taken, but it isn’t obligatory. The major dispensing info is sorted once the patient has chosen a frame they are happy with depending on prescription and lens type chosen the required measurements can be different……………………….or at least thats the way it has worked for my wife’s 25 and my 12 years in the industry…….

samuri
    Free Member

And yet in 40 years of wearing glasses, I’ve never once been measured against a pair of glasses.

samuri
    Free Member

So lets get this straight. You’re saying that after I’ve had my prescription measured, and I then go and select my frames and lens types, I should be measured again? edit: for full dispensing detail?

Pieface

Also be aware that some ‘Swept’ lenses won’t work with certain pescriptions as the focal point won’t work (or something). I bought some glasses like this and found that I had to move my head all the time otherwise stuff was out of focus.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

once the patient has chosen a frame they are happy with

The glasses were not from the optician. They were ordered online. The measurement against my own physiognomy is different from my other glasses because of the unusual construction, that is – one frame holding the prescription lenses that sits behind the front (interchangeable clear/dark/brown) ones, therefore bringing them closer to the face than normal.

thehustler
    Free Member

samuri if your dispenser is not doing any measurements I would be looking for a different opticians, 1 they are assuming the optician has got it right…….everyone makes mistakes so twice is better than once, 2 if you prescription is even slightly complex or multifocal then the measurements need to be taken in relation to the frame otherwise you are not getting the best possible optical benefit…..

thehustler
    Free Member

I understand what you are saying OP and basically agree on this kind of thing its also going to work out better face to face than across the web……

samuri
    Free Member

I have never been tested after selecting the frames and lens types, ever apart from PD measurement. This by about 5 or 6 different opticians. My prescription is complex and quite strong. I’m very short sighted and have significant astigmatism. I also have a high floater content if that counts for anything.

Worrying that none of them have ever done this. I’ve bought glasses online more than once because my opticians didn’t supply sports glasses with my prescription.

thehustler
    Free Member

Samuri most pd’s on a single vision prescription are only measured in the horizontal plane and then placed on datum (the mid point on the frame in the vertical) if you have a high prescription with a significant astigmatism then yours should be taken in the vertical also and the lens center positioned over your pupil, I’m sorry to say if your opticians aren’t doing this for you then you really aren’t getting the best srrvice you can……….

Lifer
    Free Member

Sent my jokelys + presciption info to Ciliary Blue and the lenses they did for me are perfectly fine. I never even spoke to someone on the phone let alone face to face!

nbt

My experience is the same as samuri’s, I’ve worn glasses for over thirty years and I’ve never had a vertical measurement taken (I’ve got a very mild astigmatism on in eye) and I’ve never had any measurements apart from horizontal PD taken after trying on a frame

thehustler
    Free Member

nbt on simple prescriptions its fine and doesn’t matter however on complex this can cause distortion and eye strain, but then what would i know, I only work in the industry……..

freddyg
    Free Member

Another one here – severe Astigmatism in my left eye and a mild one in the right. I’ve never had any additional measurements taken either (wearing specs for 30 years).

I’ve got an eye test booked for tomorrow so will mention it to them.

footflaps

but then what would i know, I only work in the industry……..

Best keep quiet, this is STW, you’ll upset people if you go about posting an informed opinion!

thehustler
    Free Member

Its basic physics really a spectacle lens is designed to be 12mm from the eyeball, for best results the focal point of the lens should be directly over the focal point of your own eye, on low power low astigmatism prescriptions this isn’t critical so the industry gives a tolerance of 3-4mm, however as prescriptions become more severe the placement becomes more critical to align the focal points

thehustler
    Free Member

Case in point I am currently making a pair of glasses

sph cyl axis
    R -10.25 -1.75 20
    L -10.75 -1.25 180

We are setting these at PD 59 and 14mm above the rim of the lens…….this will give significantly better results than ‘just using datum’

samuri
    Free Member

Best keep quiet, this is STW, you’ll upset people if you go about posting an informed opinion!

To be fair the responses so far have been interest and concern rather than attempting to debase hustlers opinion.

samuri
    Free Member

Case in point I am currently making a pair of glasses

sph cyl axis
    R -10.25 -1.75 20
    L -10.75 -1.25 180

Thanks, I’ll be round later to collect them.

thehustler
    Free Member

Samuri I would be interested to know your prescription, as i can then say whether datum ‘should’ be OK or whether you would be better off with a proper measurement.

thehustler
    Free Member

if you want to see a pic of the finished job I’ll post one, its a petite lady with a frame we have advies and using a 1.74 aspheric lens, the result is one even I’m suprised by and I see alot of glasses……..

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not got it with me. I’ll dig it out tonight if I remember. Ta.

aP
    Free Member

My optician has always specifically marked up the blank lenses on my new frames to ensure that the focal point of the lens is in the correct place for me. This has worked fine except for one pair where Rupp+Hubrach decided that the marked positions couldn’t possibly be correct and so changed them. They did change them fairly quickly though, after Erica phoned them up and shouted at them.
    My prescription is in the region of -11 though, so as the hustler writes above it becomes fairly critical especially when combined with complex 1.74 index bi-aspheric lenses.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    I have never been tested after selecting the frames and lens types, ever apart from PD measurement. This by about 5 or 6 different opticians. My prescription is complex and quite strong. I’m very short sighted and have significant astigmatism. I also have a high floater content if that counts for anything.

Me too, in the right eye. It’s like looking at the world through a bowl full of pond water!

Anyway, on the up side, the online company has refunded the cost of the new lenses and in all other respects, the glasses are gooduns, so all’s well that ends well. 😀

http://www.spex4less.com/acatalog/Windrams_Sports_Glasses.html

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Prescription cycling specs warning.’ is closed to new replies.