Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • prep for regular 70+ mile road rides.
  • antigee

thomthumb – Member

…..recover well – whatever that means personally.

if you don’t already do it consider using waking heart rate to assess recovery

http://blog.trainerroad.com/how-to-measure-recovery-with-resting-heart-rate/

not that I’ve ever ridden back to back 70miles but in my youth got shingles probably as a result of missing out on quality recovery

and enjoy sounds great

edit thinking about it I have but not week after week

BadlyWiredDog

It’s enough to push my current fitness but without killing me.
    60, 80 doesn’t really matter

So basically more junk miles. I reckon you’re overthinking it. If you want to ‘push your current fitness’ then the chances are you need more intensity rather than more volume, which you have a fair bit of already. Why not extend your long ride and look at doing some more structured, intense stuff the rest of the time.

Go out and ride jagged hills hard a couple of times a week for example. Build in some sprint efforts on flat sections etc. The rest is basic fuelling and recovery stuff and it’s hard to generalise as everyone works differently depending on age and physiology, but probably don’t do hard (intense) days back to back etc.

If you just want to ride more then ride more, but if you want to get faster/fitter, you should maybe look at a more structured approach and build some intensity in rather than just volume. That’s my take anyway.

digger95
    Free Member

As per Fifeandy and badlywireddog I think you are looking for this sort of info:
    Run for your life! At a comfortable pace, and not too far: James O’Keefe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U728AZnV0
    Its about the cardiovascular effects so no different to cycling volumes. I manage to get 10+ hours a week cardio some weeks and feel better for varying the heart rate (OF each session, not IN each).

onandon
    Free Member

I already do shorter 30/40 mile rides at harder intensity. Some hilly and some flat. I’m posting to ask about the effects of longer term higher milage riding, not how to train.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘prep for regular 70+ mile road rides.’ is closed to new replies.