Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Prep for powdercoating. Should I….?
  • jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve a worthless old frame that I was going to recycle into a SS and get a cheap powedercoating.

I will leave in the old BB and headset, and put bolts in all threaded bits. How can I tidy these up after the powdercoat? I don’t necessarily just them to do it and it is only a £30 job for blast and coat.

The pedant in me is considering removing the canti brake bosses and gear cable guides – is this easily done and worth the bother?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Take everything off,& clean up afterwards,use a sharp flat knife or razor blade on ya flat surfaces,and you could use youre bottom bracket to clean your threads out with afterwards etc..

jamiep
    Free Member

So don’t leave the BB, headset and bolts in? I’m conserned they will nack these areas if they are careless with the blasting. There was a thread last week about a loose headset due to this. Or maybe I should remove everything and just tell them where to be extra careful

alexathome
    Free Member

Get some cheap bolts and big washers, that’s what i did. I also kept bolts in the bottle holes and canti bosses. If they use too course a glass, or let the nozzle linger too long it’ll damage the thread, it’ll also blow through thin tubes, if they are really clumsy, should be ok with a gas pipe Mtb thou with any luck.

simon1975

If you leave those components in place then all the grease will melt out in the oven and the coating won’t stick.

I used some old BB and headset cups in the frame loosely without any grease.

jamiep
    Free Member

Yeah, I was gonna remove them, degrease them and the frame and pop them back

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever had any probs with threads being damaged during blasting. Likewise, if they have ever seen a bike frame before they will know where to mask and to stuff rockwool in small threads. A few well aimed questions should determine pretty quickly how good a job you’re likely to get 😉

alexathome
    Free Member

+1 for bristolbikers advice. But you never know if you might get a monkey on the job once you’ve left. Threads may not look damaged, but as material (metal) is removed (hence the rouge finish) the threads will be weakened if they take a direct blast. Washer and a bolt, don’t take the risk.

I shot blast a lot of frames, i know how wrong it can go! 😳

teamslug
    Free Member

We use ducktape when we send things for blasting. Cos its quite soft the blast medium bounces off. With regards to masking, the best thing i have found for use with powder coating, without using expensive and inflexible hi-temp tape, is Ali foil flashing tape. Available for a few quid from building supplies. Its can take the heat and peels off easily afterwards.

jamiep
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I am not expecting the best job from them for £30, hence me wondering what I can do to mitigate

teamslug
    Free Member

I have a powder coating company for 21 years now, bit more industrial than bike frames and car wheels but happy to offer advice.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Fill small threads with clear silicon then pick out once done- they will come out like small grommets, grease threads first though

simon_g

Worth taking the time to remove cable guides, etc that you’re not using – either buy/borrow/hire an angle grinder, or just hacksaw and file will do.

reedspeed
    Free Member

If they’re a bit heavy handed with the blaster I wouldn’t want em doin owt for me anyrd !..

Ya get what ya pay for !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Prep for powdercoating. Should I….?’ is closed to new replies.