Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Premiership Accounts – entrepreneurial or elitism?
  • jamestreg
    Free Member

Is the idea behind Premiership accounts good business acumen or just another following of the Sky/ Tesco business principles?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is the idea behind Premiership accounts good business acumen or just another following of the Sky/ Tesco business principles?

Oxymoron?

chakaping
    Free Member

Seems to me it’s more like an extension of the magazine subscription principle to the online world.

ojom
    Free Member

It makes sense to me. As a consumer of the magazine/site, if you want more, you pay more. It’s pretty simple.

‘content’ (shudder) is costly to produce and needs to be constantly produced to keep people coming back. People cannot work for free and if you want to read and see things about riding mountain bikes and the products involved then it’s only fair you pay a little extra for it if you feel you want to.

No-one is forced to read Premier content. It is a choice.

ratherbeintobago

‘content’ (shudder) is costly to produce and needs to be constantly produced to keep people coming back. People cannot work for free and if you want to read and see things about riding mountain bikes and the products involved then it’s only fair you pay a little extra for it if you feel you want to.

Nail on head. You’ve a choice; either pay for it if you want to read it, or don’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep and if you want to fund the site via advertising then you can or you can fund via subscription. Your choice

ojom
    Free Member

Personally i think it is clever. Look at sites like Bikeradar, overcome your new epilepsy, then come back to STW. Great web design in so far as it does what YOU want the site to do based on what you give into it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nail on head. You’ve a choice; either pay for it if you want to read it, or don’t.

Unfortunately there are a generation of consumers who place no value on content*.

Look what happened when Freecaster tried to charge people a reasonable amount to watch the most exciting sporting events on the planet (DH world cups).

Nobody paid and there was an outcry among Pinkbike users. They had to get the industry to stump up instead.

(* nothing wrong with that word IMO, it’s just a useful shorthand term for writing, video, pictures etc)

binners

I think what you get for an annual subscription is absolutely outstanding value for money! The magazine is still head and shoulders above the mainstream, big publishing, advertising stuffed rubbish!

And I think STW towers deserve some credit for being a bit more adventurous with their business in an industry which is in flux in a similar way the music industry was 10 years ago. With an equally uncertain future.

If you don’t like it, don’t pay it! I’m happy too. Because if nobody is prepared too, then don’t start moaning when high quality sites like this don’t exist any more. and instead, you’re reading badly written, poorly researched, lowest common denominator drivel, that’s actually barely disguised advertising!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It’s a business it produces content that content cost so they have to recoup that from somewhere. I have no problem with premiere subscriptions to me this indicates they are confident that they have a premium product that people are willing to pay for. The nature of the product will have to change though mostly because of forums like these. The depth of knowledge and experience in the cycling community means that pretty much anyone can find what ever bike related info they need on tap. I think magazines will go towards ‘story telling’ giving us the low down on the news the gossip and stories about the industry regular people have less contact with. In some cases even this isn’t the case just look at Brant who actively engages with the community giving us the low down on what is coming up and such!

dannybgoode

Its worth £3.99 p/m just to avoid the ads…

Cheers

Danny B

jamestreg
    Free Member

It’s great to see everyone getting behind the mag/ website. I still prefer to read a hard copy and pay as I go! I still see the website as a bolt on to the mag, I think the reality is probably the other way around! Anyway off to get some GT85 and some more tyre sealant then a nice big late afternoon early evening XC loop!

soobalias
    Free Member

STW. Great web design in so far as it does what YOU want the site to do based on what you give into it.

this

Lifer
    Free Member

I have no problem with it, if I wanted premier content I’d pay for it *shrugs*

footflaps

binners +1

Magazine subscriber & Premier User here, excellent value for money.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m happy too. Because if nobody is prepared too, then don’t start moaning when high quality sites like this don’t exist any more. and instead, you’re reading badly written, poorly researched, lowest common denominator drivel, that’s actually barely disguised advertising!

This and always the freeloaders who start these threads 😉

boxfish
    Free Member

I paid up to avoid the ads but it has the added benefit of extra content

soundninjauk

I came for the magazine, and stayed for the ad-free forum. The writing and pictures are absolutely worth the money I reckon.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I paid it just for the blue n white p tha noz

bonchance
    Free Member

No problem personally.

What interests me more is the reactions – strategy, market, content etc.

I was never even aware the Beano was a business when it piques my interest long ago. For me same principles apply 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

I have a digital sub, but don’t/rarely read the mag but do use the forum lots, it’s my way of contributing to this brilliant resource.

Or is it because I just like having the magic P next to my name.

8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What interests me more is the reactions – strategy, market, content etc.

Honestly I see it as there is a sum of money required to operate and several ways of getting income.
    For ages there were cries about the ads then there was a way to get rid of them but also contribute to the running costs (win win)
    Extra content is good, but I don’t get round to reading it all, just waiting for my turn in the Tuesday Prize machine!
    Subscribe to the mag so just as easy to add the extra, I tried 1 issue of digital and went back to printed. It’s just better.

corroded
    Free Member

I think it’s the only way forward for publishing. The expectation of getting something for nothing via the Internet is killing several industries. The Premiership system is one way of making it add up.*
    Though i wonder how it works when some online advertisers presumably want to reach the keenest of mtbers but can’t.
    *I don’t have a P because I have no interest in the bike reviews, which seem to be mainly what’s behind the wall.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Premiership Accounts – entrepreneurial or elitism?’ is closed to new replies.